Witchcraft

witchcraft.jpg

Anyone else on here also a fan of Witchcraft. I personally like the debut s/t album equally as The Alchemist. Firewood hasn't really grown on me. Fans of Black Sabbath and Pentagram would really like this, actually anyone will like this music. Three albums have been released plus two singles and two splits, one with Circulus and the other with The Sword. Witchcraft along with Dead Man and Graveyard were spawned from Norrsken.

Here's a biography of the band. (AllMusic)

The Swedish retro-doom-psych-folk band known as Witchcraft was started in 2000 by vocalist/guitarist Magnus Pelander, whose original intent was to record a single in tribute to Pentagram's Bobby Liebling and Roky Erickson — how often does that happen? Calling on his friend John Hoyles (guitar) and brothers Ola (bass) and Jens Henriksson (drums) to lend a hand, Pelander did indeed record that single (entitled "No Angel or Demon") and released it through small independent Primitive Arts Records in 2002. Then, encouraged by the results, he continued to compose material for Witchcraft while his bandmates pursued other interests.

A year would pass before they reconvened as Witchcraft, and with new drummer Jonas Arnesen in tow, the quartet began preparing their eponymous debut album for release through Rise Above the following year. Recorded in a basement studio outfitted exclusively with vintage equipment, the album captured a hauntingly authentic 1970s sound — steeped not only in the heavy-handed work of Black Sabbath and Pentagram, but also in the psych and folk-rock elements of obscure acts like Leaf Hound, Captain Beyond, and Comus. And yet, ironically, none of the members of Witchcraft were even born before 1977, making their loving reconstruction of that decade's music — underground music at that — all the more remarkable.

Youtube videos.

No angel or Demon

If you like what you heard here is their myspace. http://www.myspace.com/witchcraftswe

Yep I did.

cool trippy video.

Have you seen them live? They came last year with Graveyard and played in Los Angeles but 1) I wasn't into either of them and 2) if I had been into them at the time it was a +18 or +21 show. Not old enough to rock 'n' roll. LOL

I found Witchcraft and Graveyard by them being constantly mentioned in those reviews you posted in the Dead Man thread. : )

Yep I did.

cool trippy video.

Have you seen them live? They came last year with Graveyard and played in Los Angeles but 1) I wasn't into either of them and 2) if I had been into them at the time it was a +18 or +21 show. Not old enough to rock 'n' roll. LOL

I found Witchcraft and Graveyard by them being constantly mentioned in those reviews you posted in the Dead Man thread. : )

Unfortunatly I haven't got to see them (neither Witchcraft or Graveyard) yet, don't ask me why, but I've somehow missed every show they've done in Stockholm.. :huh:

I've heard quite a bit of Witchcraft on the net and really like what I've heard. I've never bought any of their albums yet though, but I'm sure I will do at some point.

I did buy an album by Burning Saviours who were also from Sweden and sound very similar to Witchcraft, so you may like them too. Check them out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCX5UuigE_A

They split up last year though unfortunately.

I've heard quite a bit of Witchcraft on the net and really like what I've heard. I've never bought any of their albums yet though, but I'm sure I will do at some point.

I did buy an album by Burning Saviours who were also from Sweden and sound very similar to Witchcraft, so you may like them too. Check them out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCX5UuigE_A

Burning Saviours sounded good on that youtube video you supplied, it's too bad they split up though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did buy an album by Burning Saviours who were also from Sweden and sound very similar to Witchcraft, so you may like them too. Check them out: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RCX5UuigE_A

Bit of a heads up about "Burning Saviours". They re-grouped in August, 2010. The news seems good! :)

Courtesy of their official myspace page :

It is official. Burning Saviours is back as a group. Members are: Mikael Monks (ex.Marjanen) - Vocals & Rythm guitar (Original member, former rythm guitar on all recordings), Fredrik Andersson - Lead Guitar (former singer on Nymphs and Weavers), Fredrik Evertsson - Bass (original member) and Martin Wijkström - Drums (o...riginal member). We will focus on getting ready for playing some "reunion" shows in a near future. The setlist will consist of songs from the demotapes to the latest/last album. A new album? That will have to wait a bit. .. .. ........

Oh and on November 13th, 2010, they began working on a new song! I couldn't help but feel a bit optimistic after hearing that news! :)

Bit of a heads up about "Burning Saviours". They re-grouped in August, 2010. The news seems good! :)

Courtesy of their official myspace page :

It is official. Burning Saviours is back as a group. Members are: Mikael Monks (ex.Marjanen) - Vocals & Rythm guitar (Original member, former rythm guitar on all recordings), Fredrik Andersson - Lead Guitar (former singer on Nymphs and Weavers), Fredrik Evertsson - Bass (original member) and Martin Wijkström - Drums (o...riginal member). We will focus on getting ready for playing some "reunion" shows in a near future. The setlist will consist of songs from the demotapes to the latest/last album. A new album? That will have to wait a bit. .. .. ........

Oh and on November 13th, 2010, they began working on a new song! I couldn't help but feel a bit optimistic after hearing that news! :)

Oh yeah, Rock N' Rollin' Man PM'd me about that. :)

Oh yeah, Rock N' Rollin' Man PM'd me about that. :)

Cool! :)

I got more "Burning Saviours" news. I know this is a thread about "Witchcraft" but I can't help myself! :D

Here's some news from their Facebook page (posted just today :)) :

"We welcome Jonas Hartikainen to the band. He´ll be replacing Fredrik Andersson as our lead-guitar player".

"We have decided to bring Burning Saviours back to the sound that we had in the beginning. The new songs will be doomier, heavier and more "evil". Think Black Sabbaths first album. That´s the direction Burning Saviours will go from now on. Hopefully, we can present a new song in February that we´ve been working on".

Hmmm...I don't mean to sound optimistic, but it sounds like they are going to go back to the kind of sound they had on albums like "Hundus" and their S/T debut! Interesting! :D

But I do love the sound they had going, on "Nymphs And Weavers" too! :)

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

BUMP!

Witchcraft's 4th studio album Legend will be released on double vinyl on the 18th of September via record label Nuclear Blast.

Here is the track list for Legend :

01. Deconstruction

02. Flag Of Fate

03. It's Not Because Of You

04. An Alternative To Freedom

05. Ghosts House

06. White Light Suicide

07. Democracy

08. Dystopia

09. Dead End

The band released its single "It's Not Because of You" fairly recently.

http://youtu.be/f9ZlV3T9eJU

Personally, I thought this song sounded really good although some are of the opinion that this song is basically a far cry from the kind of stuff they used to put out when albums like Firewood and The Alchemist were released and that change is a horrible thing, in this case! My point is yes, the band has changed in terms of its music style, but IMHO, change isn't necessarily a bad thing :) I (personally) am really looking forward to the release of Legend.

Archived