Double neck

Chap

Ok I have been watching these dang guitars on ebay for a while now. Double necks for under $300 US. So I figured I would ask around--do a little research. One guy I asked said that I would probably be delighted if instead of thinking of it as 1 $300 guitar, I thought of it as 2 $150 guitars. Now that is an argument that is hard to walk away from. Have any of you kids tried this out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Double-Neck-Guitar-with-Padded-Gig-Bag-Red_W0QQitemZ370266685307QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item56359d3f7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ok I have been watching these dang guitars on ebay for a while now. Double necks for under $300 US. So I figured I would ask around--do a little research. One guy I asked said that I would probably be delighted if instead of thinking of it as 1 $300 guitar, I thought of it as 2 $150 guitars. Now that is an argument that is hard to walk away from. Have any of you kids tried this out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Double-Neck-Guitar-with-Padded-Gig-Bag-Red_W0QQitemZ370266685307QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item56359d3f7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

JUNK,GARBAGE, FIREWOOD, DON'T DO IT SAVE YOUR MONEY AND PICKUP A EPIPHONE DOUBLE NECK ON E-BAY. JUST PUNCH IN GIBSON OR EPIPHONE DOUBLENECK IN THE SEARCH BOX. BUT THE GIBSONS WILL COST MORE FOR THE REAL THING.

Save up for an Epiphone, going with a name brand makes all the difference. The Gibsons can run upwards of two grand. the Epiphones around 500.

OK, lets start out with the basics, what do you want to do with this guitar?

1.Are you, a vintage collector?

2.Are you, a professional musician in a full time working band?

3.Are you, in a part time band playing out once a month?

4.Are you, not even a musician and just looking for a guitar that looks like the one Jimmy Page played to hang on your wall (and will never be played)?

And 5. how much can you afford to spend? B)

• Administrators

I have an Epiphone doubleneck and love it. As mentioned, depending what you're doing with it, an Epiphone will be much better than that cheap one in the ebay ad and you can usually find one used for a good price.

OK, lets start out with the basics, what do you want to do with this guitar?

1.Are you, a vintage collector?

2.Are you, a professional musician in a full time working band?

3.Are you, in a part time band playing out once a month?

4.Are you, not even a musician and just looking for a guitar that looks like the one Jimmy Page played to hang on your wall (and will never be played)?

And 5. how much can you afford to spend? B)

Right--I have a few vintage guitars. I am a part time musician playing less than once a month.

I actually contacted the guy who makes the strat version, Which is kind of cool in that it even has a tremolo. Anyway my question was if he could make a model that would switch the necks(and requisite routing etc) as it seems TOTALLY counter intuitive to have the twelve on top. I also got into a cool correspondence with supercool jazz guitarist Wayne Johnson, who played a custom made jazz doubleneck based on a es335 model with the six on top. he was telling me about all these cool techniques he had developed where he would turn down the volume on the six string, crank it on the twelve and then play the six string--and the sympathetic vibration would create these cool ethereal sounds from the twelve string. I am curious as to how much sympathetic vibration like that is possible with a solid body version like Jimmy played.

This ultimately would be a very limited use guitar for me. I am a pretty good set up guy. I think I may give it a whirl. I'll let you cats know how it all turns out.

Right--I have a few vintage guitars. I am a part time musician playing less than once a month.

I actually contacted the guy who makes the strat version, Which is kind of cool in that it even has a tremolo. Anyway my question was if he could make a model that would switch the necks(and requisite routing etc) as it seems TOTALLY counter intuitive to have the twelve on top. I also got into a cool correspondence with supercool jazz guitarist Wayne Johnson, who played a custom made jazz doubleneck based on a es335 model with the six on top. he was telling me about all these cool techniques he had developed where he would turn down the volume on the six string, crank it on the twelve and then play the six string--and the sympathetic vibration would create these cool ethereal sounds from the twelve string. I am curious as to how much sympathetic vibration like that is possible with a solid body version like Jimmy played.

This ultimately would be a very limited use guitar for me. I am a pretty good set up guy. I think I may give it a whirl. I'll let you cats know how it all turns out.

If you can and want to buy a Gibson do that, if you can't then don't.

The 12 on top (besides the sexual over tone's) I think is a good idea, as, if you are playing the 12 on a slow sweet part of a song and will be going (quickly) to a heavy part on the 6, gravity will be working with you and not against you.

Also the switch location will come into play. Just a thought.

Archived