Slash

Page-ist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to chime in here, though I'll bet what I have to say will upset a few of you. For starters, yes, Slash is a great guitarist. When you think of all he's done, you can't label him as anything but great. He wrote a riff that is easily one of the most recognizable in rock... the Sweet Child intro... he completely changed the way many guitarists looked at the instrument in the late 1980's... {instead of copying EVH, a lot of them went back to blues-based stuff thanks to Slash} Practically brought back the Les Paul as a top selling guitar in an era when Steve Vai and those weird looking things he plays were dominating.

He was also a major contributor to one of the greatest selling albums in rock history with Appetite For Destruction. So... when you look at all he's done, yes, he is a great guitar player.

Now, that said, I would still rate Jimi number one and Jimmy number two. But I would never put Clapton in the top three. Maybe it's because I play and I know how easy Clapton's stuff is, but he doesn't inspire me or move me the way Hendrix, Page or Slash do. Clapton does one thing great; he plays the blues. But you never saw him branch out like Jimi or Jimmy. You never saw Clapton put out something like Axis: Bold As Love or Castles Made Of Sand. He never had an Achilles Last Stand or Kashmir.

His stuff is all blues-based, which is cool, but not worthy of a top three spot. Heck, for that matter he never put anything out like Slash's Neither Can I or Ain't Life Grand. If you want someone to include in your top ten that nobody has mentioned you might want to consider Brian Setzer. He resurrected Rock A Billy and then brought back Big Band and... he did something nobody has ever done before, adding an electric guitar in front of that big band. Setzer has played many great covers and written many great originals. His mark on music is far more substantial than Clapton and most guitarists who know the history of the instrument would agree with that.

Lastly... we can argue who has done more or accomplished more till the cows come home, but it means nothing as music is not a race or a competition. It's about soul. It's what moves you. I know people are moved by Clapton and to a small degree I am too. But Setzer moves me more. Slash, Page and Jimi all move me as well. I am thankful that I have been able to enjoy the music they have all created.

I'd like to chime in here, though I'll bet what I have to say will upset a few of you. For starters, yes, Slash is a great guitarist. When you think of all he's done, you can't label him as anything but great. He wrote a riff that is easily one of the most recognizable in rock... the Sweet Child intro... he completely changed the way many guitarists looked at the instrument in the late 1980's... {instead of copying EVH, a lot of them went back to blues-based stuff thanks to Slash} Practically brought back the Les Paul as a top selling guitar in an era when Steve Vai and those weird looking things he plays were dominating.

He was also a major contributor to one of the greatest selling albums in rock history with Appetite For Destruction. So... when you look at all he's done, yes, he is a great guitar player.

Now, that said, I would still rate Jimi number one and Jimmy number two. But I would never put Clapton in the top three. Maybe it's because I play and I know how easy Clapton's stuff is, but he doesn't inspire me or move me the way Hendrix, Page or Slash do. Clapton does one thing great; he plays the blues. But you never saw him branch out like Jimi or Jimmy. You never saw Clapton put out something like Axis: Bold As Love or Castles Made Of Sand. He never had an Achilles Last Stand or Kashmir.

His stuff is all blues-based, which is cool, but not worthy of a top three spot. Heck, for that matter he never put anything out like Slash's Neither Can I or Ain't Life Grand. If you want someone to include in your top ten that nobody has mentioned you might want to consider Brian Setzer. He resurrected Rock A Billy and then brought back Big Band and... he did something nobody has ever done before, adding an electric guitar in front of that big band. Setzer has played many great covers and written many great originals. His mark on music is far more substantial than Clapton and most guitarists who know the history of the instrument would agree with that.

Lastly... we can argue who has done more or accomplished more till the cows come home, but it means nothing as music is not a race or a competition. It's about soul. It's what moves you. I know people are moved by Clapton and to a small degree I am too. But Setzer moves me more. Slash, Page and Jimi all move me as well. I am thankful that I have been able to enjoy the music they have all created.

For the most part, I agree with you.

However Eric Clapton is at least in my top five because he changed the way a lot of people looked at the guitar, especially with his reworking of "Hideaway".

I also think that he was at least a little more experimental than you make him out to be. It's hard to be crankning out stuff for 40+ years and branch out a little. Just look at his work with Cream.

As with Slash, he simply brought back something that had been being left out for years. Don't get me wrong, his contributions are enough to get him at least in my top 15, but his turning back the clock, essentially, is not enough to get up with Jimi, Jimmy, and EC's innovation (in my opinion).

Archived