Best Jimi Hendrix Albums?

The Random Stofil

It's really hard to pick because his output was released so awkwardly. I guess during his lifetime I like "Axis:Bold As Love" the best. There are really beautiul ballads on that one. It's hard to go wrong with "Little Wing", "Castles Made Of Sand", "One Rainy Wish", & "Bold As Love". "You Got Me Floating", "Spanish Castle Magic", & "If 6 Was 9" are also hard to beat. It's just great as a whole where as "Experienced" is a little stiffer for my tastes though the re-issue improves on the original & there's some filler on "Ladyland" I could do without even though it has his best guitar playing of the three albums.

As far as his posthumous albums it would be "New Rays Of The Rising Son". It combines most of the best tracks from "Cry Of Love" & the other deleted albums which a lot of Hendrix fans still prefer. I also love the "BBC Sessions" especially for the second version of "Driving South".

Most people love the various "Band Of Gypsy's" albums as their favorite live album. It's hard to even pick the best of the different versions of it. My favorite live album is his "In Concert" album from various different shows but unfortunately it was deleted from his catalogue some time ago. I also love "Live At Winterland" but I think that's been deleted too.

Well, for quite a long period of time, Are You Experienced? was my favorite album. It was just so straight-forward, it had an urgent feeling, and like Jimi said in some interviews, that albume said "Ok, we want in, we want to be heard!". Then, the next albums were seeking for the wisest way to be heard.

So although Electric Ladyland is regarded as his best album, very experimental but still catchy and with great vocals (not to mention the guitar playing), and Axis: Bold As Love has great ballads and sees a more complex and softer side of Jimi, I think I would still go with the first album ! Yeah, definitely!

Band Of Gypsy's and Cry Of Love for me. A far more refined sound than his earlier work but with some of the most brilliant guitar work I've ever heard. Heart and soul throughout both those albums

I think Experience Hendrix are doing great work, and I love the official bootleg series from Dagger Records, but when it's a matter of choosing a favorite album I find that I still tend to think of the Hendrix catalog as it was, the Polydor releases. Albums just really become a part of you in some peculiar way.

Partly, no doubt, it's because the old releases are how the Hendrix legacy was presented when I became acquainted with it. I heard Are You Experienced? and Band of Gypsys as a kid in the late 1970's and liked them, but couldn't find much else in the record stores here, so instead it became a gradual process of discovery for me in about 1982-1988. I was older then and the listening experience must have been different, but I think Live at Winterland and Jimi Hendrix Concerts (a compilation from different live performances) were the albums that made Hendrix one of my all-time favorite artists. I had gotten them both by 1986 if I remember correctly.

Then something happened that made the impression even stronger. I went to Stockholm in 1987 and stayed there for a couple of months, and while I was there I got the posthumously released Cry of Love, War Heroes and Midnight Lightning...not just that, I was able to see Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix at Monterey in a shabby little cinema there. It was unforgettable! It was outrageously loud, but sounded pretty good, and it was all there, even the little bit with the painter doing Hendrix's portrait in a dark alley. In New York a year later I found the old Otis Redding/Jimi Hendrix at Momterey album and also one with just Hendrix's set from there, plus Band of Gypsys 2, an album that had this amazing version of Ezy Ryder (although I don't think that was actually the Band of Gypsys).

Are You Experienced? Axis and Ladyland are all fabulous albums, some of the best albums in the history of Rock and Roll, but when I listen to them I still find myself thinking he was trying to make even more strongly cohesive album statements than these, and I think he would have. As it stands, Cry of Love might possibly be my all-time favorite Hendrix album. But that's only the studio albums. I still love Winterland and Concerts the most of the live releases, but he was amazing live, so it's worth listening to a lot of them. A wonderful bootleg to have is the full set of six performances from Winterland Ballroom. But there are also gems out there like the 4CD set from Polydor that has one concert from each year (different venues), 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 - and now the Dagger releases.

I bought the Are You Experienced cd with the bonus tracks several months ago and I have since thourougly enjoyed it.

It has kind of an urgent, raw, trippy(of course) type of quality to it.

My favorite track off of it besides the hits(Purple Haze, Manic Confusion, Hey Joe, Red House, Wind Cries Mary, Foxy Lady, Fire, Stone Free) would have to be either Remember, 51st Anniversery, or May This Be Love.

Archived