Who is the next real guitar hero?

Xtazy

Agreed! Also, nice video clip. I've never heard that song before - like the sort of late 70's Eagles vibe that song has to it. Good music. Weren't they just on Austin City Limits?

Peace.

Can't say I hear any Eagles at all in that but yeah, they were recently on a rerun of Austin City Limits which was taped when they were out in support of the record Impossible Germany comes from (Sky Blue Sky). The clip I posted comes from their Ashes of American Flags DVD. Highly recommended if you like what you've heard so far. Best thing though is seeing them live. Hopefully they'll be through your area soon.

I don't think rock music needs another guitar hero anymore than jazz needs a new sax hero, classical needs a new cello hero, bluegrass needs a new fiddler hero, etc. How about someone who just writes good songs? That's enough for me. And besides, this guitar hero stuff really is overrated anyway & always has been. Sometimes I'd rather hear someone like Johnny Cash play guitar than Jimmy Page. And I'm strictly talking about guitar, not singing, lyrics or anything else. Cash's guitar work on "Tennessee Flat-Top Box" does it for me in ways that Zep's "Achilles Last Stand" will never do & if someone can't understand why that is I suspect they never will.

I don't think rock music needs another guitar hero anymore than jazz needs a new sax hero, classical needs a new cello hero, bluegrass needs a new fiddler hero, etc. How about someone who just writes good songs?

They're out there too.

Why do so many folks here seem to have so much trouble finding new music they like? What sources are people using to seek out new music? Surely with the innerwebz at nearly everyone's disposal these days it shouldn't be that hard to find something worth listening to. Personally, I can't keep up with all of the new music I'd like to listen to (and/or purchase) whereas, when I visit this board people seem to be having a very hard time finding something they like.

They're out there too.

Why do so many folks here seem to have so much trouble finding new music they like? What sources are people using to seek out new music? Surely with the innerwebz at nearly everyone's disposal these days it shouldn't be that hard to find something worth listening to. Personally, I can't keep up with all of the new music I'd like to listen to (and/or purchase) whereas, when I visit this board people seem to be having a very hard time finding something they like.

I agree with that, it's not good for the soul to swim same waters all the time....human beings are not supposed to be so static and square minded, we are always changing...

They're out there too.

Jahfin for the last couple of years I've gotten to know your musical tastes pretty well, & while they're not exactly mine we are not that far apart. The reason you don't have trouble finding new music to listen to is that you don't limit yourself to finding "guitar hero's" who either play recycled blues/rock cliches through a Les Paul & Marshall stack or a guy in leather pants playing a day glo colored Charvel guitar like a typewriter where the songs are invariably about snorting blow off a slutty young thang's chest or some middle earth fantasy involving the slaying of a dragon... or both in the same song! If that's what people here are looking for as far as someone "new" then they should expect to be disappointed. They are both dead genre's. I didn't care for that type of thing the first time around, much less the millionth. At this point I'd rather hear someone play the triangle in an interesting way & I'm sure there is someone out there who does.

^ That's the whole thing, I wasn't talking about a recycled artist who followed the pattern of other guitar hero's. I was talking about that someone who could write those 'good songs' you were talking about. It doesn't matter how they are written and it doesn't matter if they are played in the style of Jimmy Page, Johnny Cash or Yngwie Malmsteen.

It's kind of strange that I have to explain myself like this since there were so many guitar heroes till now. It's not a new term or anything...

It's "stagnating", how is that?

I'd also love for someone to explain why we supposedly need a guitar "hero", especially when there's folks like Nels Cline around (see clip below).

Yeah, nice, but a bit to stiff/repetitive for me. Sort of a technical, softer Kurt Cobain sound if you ask me. Stagnating as in, not seeing the forest for the trees. Or not being able to take it any farther than where we are now, it'll all change in the next few years or so. New thing's are always coming and going ya'know, just have to wait till the next good one get's there.

Like Little Richard said about Jimmi Hendrix

^ That's the whole thing, I wasn't talking about a recycled artist who followed the pattern of other guitar hero's. I was talking about that someone who could write those 'good songs' you were talking about. It doesn't matter how they are written and it doesn't matter if they are played in the style of Jimmy Page, Johnny Cash or Yngwie Malmsteen.

It's kind of strange that I have to explain myself like this since there were so many guitar heroes till now. It's not a new term or anything...

Lol, I got your point from the beginning, I don't think others who posted after the fact did. I gave my option, Jack White, and I explained why. But I still don't think a new guitar hero is necessary, or will really happen again. I think it's done, or at least hibernating for some time to come. For myself good music can be played on a guitar, a keyboard, or even with a saw and a bow. I don't care, as long as the music is good that is what is important to me.

Hi All,

This topic should have been called "Guitar Icon" not "Guitar Hero" as Hero's have done something Heroic like saving someones life in a War Zone, not strum a few Basic Chords or perform an amazing Guitar Solo. :wtf:

Here's to the Real "Hero's", the Armed Forces, the Police, the Ambulance Service, the Firebrigade, Mountain Rescue, the RNLI. :thanku::beer::yay:

Guitar Hero's? i could shit em. :o

Regards and get real, Danny

Hi All,

This topic should have been called "Guitar Icon" not "Guitar Hero" as Hero's have done something Heroic like saving someones life in a War Zone, not strum a few Basic Chords or perform an amazing Guitar Solo. :wtf:

Here's to the Real "Hero's", the Armed Forces, the Police, the Ambulance Service, the Firebrigade, Mountain Rescue, the RNLI. :thanku::beer::yay:

Guitar Hero's? i could shit em. :o

Regards and get real, Danny

Lol? :unsure:

Guitar hero is not equal to hero. I wasn't talking about guitarists who are seen as heroes because they play the guitar. That's why they are called guitar heroes. It's not heroes, it's heroes of the guitar. The guitar part is very important :drool: .

I suppose that's sarcasm...

Nevertheless :yourock:

Yeah, nice, but a bit to stiff/repetitive for me. Sort of a technical, softer Kurt Cobain sound if you ask me. Stagnating as in, not seeing the forest for the trees. Or not being able to take it any farther than where we are now, it'll all change in the next few years or so. New thing's are always coming and going ya'know, just have to wait till the next good one get's there.

I fail to see how music is stagnating. From my experience it's quite the opposite.

Lol? :unsure:

Guitar hero is not equal to hero. I wasn't talking about guitarists who are seen as heroes because they play the guitar. That's why they are called guitar heroes. It's not heroes, it's heroes of the guitar. The guitar part is very important :drool: .

I suppose that's sarcasm...

Nevertheless :yourock:

Thanks 'Xtazy'

I wasn't talking about you or your post, i was referring to whatever company it was, that called it "Guitar Hero" there are no "Hero's" in Music, only Icons, Idols, and Victims, just my honest opinion you understand?

Regards, Danny

Archived