Alex Chilton - R.I.P.

Kaijubait

sad.gif

Big Star's Alex Chilton dies aged 59

Singer is thought to have suffered a heart attack

• Alex Chilton has died of a suspected heart attack, aged 59.

The singer and guitarist, who rose to prominence in Big Star and The Box Tops, passed away on Wednesday (March 17) in a New Orleanshospital.

Memphis-born Chilton is said to have complained about his health earlier on Wednesday, before being taken to hospital by paramedics, reports The Commercial Appeal.

He had been due to play a gig atSouth by Southwest in Austin,Texas with Big Star on Saturday (March 20).

Chilton first found success at 16 withThe Box Tops. The band had a huge hit with 'The Letter' in 1967, but failed to match the song's success and broke up in 1970. The following year, Chilton formed the Memphis-based Big Star, and went on to make three critically acclaimed albums, 1972 debut '#1 Record', 1973's'Radio City' and 'Third/Sister Lovers', recorded in 1974 but not released until four years later.

John Fry, whose Ardent Recordsreleased much of Big Star's material, paid tribute to Chilton.

"I'm crushed. We're all just crushed," said Fry. "This sudden death experience is never something that you're prepared for. And yet it occurs."

Big Star split up in 1974, but went on to become cult icons thanks to praise from other acts including REM,Teenage Fanclub and The Replacements. Chilton and drummer Jody Stephens reformed the band in 1993 with a new line-up and, in 1996, he also reformed The Box Tops.

By coincidence this week's issue of NME had seen Chilton featuring highly in a list of favourite cult musicians.

http://www.nme.com/news/alex-chilton/50271

"lonely days are gone, I'm a going home, my baby wrote me a letter"

I heard the news this morning on the radio. I wouldn't have known who he was by name if they hadn't been playing the song. I listened to that song over and over when I was a kid. Too many musicians leaving this world too soon.

I'm a little distressed that all the posts so far have centered on The Box Tops.

That's like if Jimmy Page passed, and everyone only talked about The Yardbirds.mellow.gif

If you never heard of Big Star, or listened to Big Star, you're really missing his best stuff. I hope everyone goes out and buys/downloads those three albums.

I'm a little distressed that all the posts so far have centered on The Box Tops.

I'm a little distressed that the nat'l media called The Box Tops one hit wonders. That was hardly the case. There was also little mention that Alex was only 16-17 when he sang those songs. Some people blame Big Star's lack of success on marketing and the media. I blamed the product. Mileage varies.

That's like if Jimmy Page passed, and everyone only talked about The Yardbirds.mellow.gif

I wouldn't be to surprised about the reaction, or lack of it, around here.

"#1 Record" may be the most perfect pop/rock album next to the Beatles "A Hard Day's Night" or "Rubber Soul". Chris Bell was equally important as Alex Chilton on that album. Such a great band. It some circles Big Star may seem overrated now, & there may be a valid point to that, but it's only because of how underrated they were when they were first around. Big Star had near perfect harmonies, great songwriting, & a pristine sound even in their occasional sloppiness. Last thursday many of my friends were crying in their beer over the loss of Alex Chilton. He'll definately be missed.

I wouldn't be to surprised about the reaction, or lack of it, around here.

I was going to post it here when the news broke but I figured that aside from a few folks, it would fall on deaf ears.

I was a latecomer to Big Star myself and it took years for me to finally fully appreciate them. Many of my favorite bands from R.E.M. to Wilco have often cited Chilton and Big Star as an influence over the years so I had always wanted to check them out. When I finally did, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. From time to time I would break out #1 Record/Radio City and give it another chance. For whatever reason, those records finally started to click with me about a year or so ago. Sadly, Alex (along with Big Star) is one of those people that belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame but will most likely never be nominated, much less inducted. That right there is a cryin' fucking shame.

Archived