Led Zeppelin...

lzzoso

I am currently re-reading Robert Godwin's book, "Led Zeppelin - the Press Reports...". If any of you have read this Great book about most of Led Zeppelin's, well, Press Reports, than you know that it is in chronological order.

On page 436, after Bonzo's death, the entry for December 13, 1980, it states that the New Musical Express (a British Rock magazine), reports that "Rumours had been running around that Bonham was to be replaced by Cozy Powell, Carmine Appice, Paul Thompson, Aynsley Dunbar, Ian Paice, Ringo Starr and Peter Criss".

If you are a die-hard fan of Led Zeppelin like I consider myself to be, than I am sure most of you have heard or read something about some of these drummers supposedly being considered to replace the late Great John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham as the "new" drummer for Led Zeppelin. Obviously we know that that never happened.

I will be honest and say that I have heard of all these drummers except for Paul Thompson. I know I could do a quick Google search and find out who he is and who he has played with but I have not (yet). Anybody have any replies to how or why or under what circumstances that these drummers listed above could have been "considered" to replace "Bonzo". I actually find it hard to believe that Ringo Starr would have and could have even been considered to replace the "Powerful" John Bonham.

I am currently re-reading Robert Godwin's book, "Led Zeppelin - the Press Reports...". If any of you have read this Great book about most of Led Zeppelin's, well, Press Reports, than you know that it is in chronological order.

On page 436, after Bonzo's death, the entry for December 13, 1980, it states that the New Musical Express (a British Rock magazine), reports that "Rumours had been running around that Bonham was to be replaced by Cozy Powell, Carmine Appice, Paul Thompson, Aynsley Dunbar, Ian Paice, Ringo Starr and Peter Criss".

If you are a die-hard fan of Led Zeppelin like I consider myself to be, than I am sure most of you have heard or read something about some of these drummers supposedly being considered to replace the late Great John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham as the "new" drummer for Led Zeppelin. Obviously we know that that never happened.

I will be honest and say that I have heard of all these drummers except for Paul Thompson. I know I could do a quick Google search and find out who he is and who he has played with but I have not (yet). Anybody have any replies to how or why or under what circumstances that these drummers listed above could have been "considered" to replace "Bonzo". I actually find it hard to believe that Ringo Starr would have and could have even been considered to replace the "Powerful" John Bonham.

To my knowledge no-one had ever been considered to replace Bonzo permanently then and haven't even up to this day.

The fact is, Led Zeppelin disbanded 30 years ago almost immediately following his passing.

Just tabloid-style rumors and idle speculation, no different than '75 when Jimmy Page was rumored in the UK press to be joining The Rolling Stones as Mick Taylor's replacement.

Ringo or Peter Criss in Led Zeppelin?

How can anyone with even minimal knowledge of music consider printing that?

Obviously, the editors of NME had their heads up their asses on that one.

The names that i recall being bantered about were Cozy, Dunbar and Bev Bevan.

Even though they may have been professional enough to do it, I don't think that anyone of them would have done it, out of respect for Bonzo.

Paul Thompson was, and continues to be, the drummer for Roxy Music.

Archived