What brand/model/thickness is your guitar/bass pick?

Starbreaker

So for you guitarists and bassists out there, what sort of pick do you prefer to use and why?

I have tried many different pick's in my 20+ years of playing all sort's of guitar's (electric, acoustic & bass).

I've used a very thick felt pick on a bass, that was a good experience, I tend to like a heaver pick (.88mm) on an electric guitar and have settled in on a medium (.75mm) when playing an acoustic.

I use the Jazz III's (which are extra heavy). Excellent picks, in my opinion. I can get a good grip and have precise picking. It's just of matter of

personal taste. I tend to change every once in a while. I might go to a extra thin pick just to see what I can do with it.

Lately I've been using two models of pics both made by Dunlop; Big Stubby (2.0) and Gator Grip (1.5) I like how the Big Stubbies feel a tad better but they don't hold up very well when doing pic scrapes. How do you experienced guitarists counter the jagged edges made by doing pic scrapes? Do you just have to buy new ones?

I have only been playing for 12 months and have experimented with picks. I've discovered a fondness for the thicker picks. My guitar is a Greg Bennett designed Samick Avion 3 Goldtop with some modifications. I've installed Duncan Alnico Pro 2 Humbuckers and replaced the pots and toggle switch with CTS and Switchcraft respectively.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing mandolin for about 4 or 5 months, not long enough to have too many opinions on picks, but I use a Dunlop Tortex Standard, 0.88 mm gauge. The brand is organized by color, with one color representing a certain gauge. 0.88 is green. I have a number of other picks (all Dunlop Tortex) all of normal consistencies (they're all different, but I mean they're all medium gauges). I don't have any opinion regarding which one of the picks best suits my style, but I've been playing long enough to know that I'm going to stick with the normal pick shape and size. I had a thick round pick and I didn't like how much duller the tone was, so I tossed it. I also don't like small picks, playing with them is too much effort.

Archived