Led Zeppelin as an inspiration to a young aspiring musician

Im Alex Nunnery, Im 18, I live in Parma, Ohio and I FUCKING LOVE LED ZEPPELIN!!!

Alright, now that i got that out of my system I can begin.

This is my first ever Led Zeppelin Forum, if you couldnt tell by the beginning of it haha. Anyway...

The reason I have brought all of you here to read this post, and the reason i am making this post in the first place, is because earlier today I realized that The Ultimate Goal In My Life is to have a conversation with Jimmy Page. The topic of that conversation I could care less what it was about I just want to be in the same room as the man so I can absorb every ounce of musical knowledge and expertise that the room would be overflowing with just from his mere presence.

Thats the reason I was inspired to make this account on ledzeppelin.com and this particualar post, i dont know what the odds of that goal actually happening are, but an inspiration came over me tonight to try and make it happen and this was the first place that came to mind to start putting the wheels of that dream in motion, so im goin with it, i got nothin but time right now.

So if you have some spare time right now like i do, and you might be interested to see how Led Zeppelin, the greatest band of the 1970's and of all time, has influenced an 18 year old aspiring musician, living in a time when the biggest name in mainstream music is some guy from hoodfresh New Orleans rappin about nothing important, intellegent, or relevant to anything at all, and possessing not a shred of musical talent, then i suggest you continue reading this.

So if your still reading this, that means you are the audience that ive been trying to catch the attention of with this post and are obviously, and i thank you and respect you for it, interested in whatever it is that i have to say. And just to forewarn, you I do have a lot to say, but like i said you are the audience i was trying to capture, and it takes more than one person to have an intelligent conversation, so as you read this, just know, whatever it is that you have to say about this after you read it, im listening and im ready to continue the conversation wherever it may go afterward. So if your interested in continuing this conversation, than this is what i think you should know about me,

I am currently enrolled at The Ohio State University and will be entering as a freshman this fall.

I am majoring in music composition.

I took all advanced placement courses during high school and kept a 3.8 GPA

My dad was a musician.

I played the saxophone in the elementary and middle school bands and tore it up in the first chair.

My dad found an acoustic guitar in the dumpster outside his apartment about 6 months ago and gave it to me.

Less than a month later I bought my first electric guitar and it was the greatest purchase of my life, i fuckin love that thing, and im not gonna lie to you Ive got some natural talent that was passed on to me.

I love Led Zeppelin just like you do.

That this post is basically me pouring out my love for Led Zeppelin, which I have only recently discovered and been listening to everyday now for about a year, Basically Since i started playin guitar and discovered what my lovely lady mary jane has to offer(theres a taste of my sense of humor for what its worth) haha.

And the last, and most important thing for you to know is that i worked on writing this post for nearly 4 hours so that it is perfect, easy to read, and i guess, what i think would be interesting and entertaining to someone that grew up listening to and following Led Zeppelin.

So like i said im listening, and excited to hear whatever you have to say about this, and im ready to learn about your background and get to know you, i mean its only polite after i just made you do the same thing for me.

So i guess what im trying to do with this is just to express to someone. Who grew up in the 70s who witnessed, was a hardcore fan of, was themself inspired by, did various types of recreational drugs and jammed their hearts out to, or was in anyway associated with the rise and fall of Led Zeppelin. How Im going to back up what i started this post with in the first place. That I Fucking Love Led Zeppelin!!! Which to add in right now, is the exact reason why i sit here, at 9:05 am on Saturday, April 25th, but as far as im concerned its still Friday night, watching a compilation of live Led Zeppelin performances on dvd, that has repeated four times now since ive been sitting in this basement with my friend, musical partner, as well as recreational drug experimenting partner, and it has been more entertaining with every pass, but i digress.

The only reason that i am where i am right now at this ridiculous hour, and writing this, to me inspirational and hopefully to you entertaining and interesting, post, is because everything I talked about you guys doing in that above paragraph, is what i do everyday just without the witnessed part. However, a week ago from today I got to get as close to witnessing Led Zeppelin live as i possibly could by seeing the Zoso Tribute Band at the house of blues in cleveland. And now that i think about it, that probably has a hell of a lot to do with where all this inspiration ive been talking about is coming from, because that was by far the greatest concert ive ever been to and will ever see in my life.

So, so from what you have read thus far, and from the topic of discussion of this forum, you can obviously see that I am an aspiring teenage musician, who is growing up in the technology era of the early 21st century, that wishes, and would give anything, to instead be, an aspiring musician growing up during the late 1960s and experiencing the rise of rock and roll music, the mass political contraversy that surrounded the vietnam war, the cultural revolution, and the hippie movement that was created from it. Because all those things that i just mentioned, I am absolutely fascinated by.

Ive been sitting here in this position now, working on this post for nearly four hours, to try and make it my best possible translation of how much i appreciate and am constantly amazed by the musical talents of Jimmy Page and THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME Led Zeppelin.

So if you have been kind enough to read this entire post, i honestly have no idea how long it is compared to the average post, because i have never even read one myself, like i said i was just inspired to do this because earlier today i decided i want just to be lucky enough to be in the same room for even just one minute with the great Jimmy Page himself.

But to stop myself from just rambling on about Zeppelin.

This is a good time to inform you guys of my dream in life.

My dream in life is to write and perform music, that basically will just be my best impression of Led Zeppelin, and by that i mean writing music that can capture the attention of an entire generation, mine being the one raised on the internet, rather than the televised war, and again mine during the political controversy of the Iraq War, and The Bush and Oboma Administrations of the early 21st century, rather than the Reagan and Nixon administrations of the 60s and 70s. The problem i am faced with is that my generation has already decided that what they like to entertain themselves with is just random chopped up computer beats backed by lyrics that are like i said earlier,

nothing even close to intelligent or relevant to anything that will ever have any importance in my life. I first adress this as a problem, however, i then address it as an enourmous opportunity. The opportunity that is, to enrich that entire generation with sweet sweet music just like Led Zeppelin because all it will take, i think at least, is for mainstream music to play something that all the high school and college kids in this country that enjoy tokin it up on a regular basis just like i and oh so many of my fellow classmates do, can start jammin to it and lovin it just like you guys did with Zeppelin. Now that may seem a little unreachable as you read it but what kind of dream would it be if it was gonna be easy to get there. I just know that Im puttin myself in all the right situations to try and make it happen

So to anyone that has read this entire thing i thank you. Im going to finally take this laptop off my lap, grab my guitar and continue to jam along with this live Zeppelin dvd that i have been watching on repeat, since, no joke, 3:30 this morning. So if you were kind enough to continue reading this entire thing than i encourage you to please, give me whatever thoughts you may have about this, impressions, comments, advice, or just tell me whatever it is that you would want to tell an 18 year old kid that loves Led Zeppelin as much as you do

Welcome!

Your enthusiasm is great. I did grow up in the 70's and had the priveledge to see them in 73 and 75 and sheduled for 77.I first heard "I Can't Quit You Babe" when I was nine and I never looked back. They were beholding , magnificent to see live.

Take some time and read the different topics here as there are quite a few with some of the best information on LZ. We have great people here of all ages who respect and love their music.

I wish you the best as you are inspired by the best music.

:welcome2:

Im Alex Nunnery, Im 18, I live in Parma, Ohio and I FUCKING LOVE LED ZEPPELIN!!!

Alright, now that i got that out of my system I can begin.

Im going to finally take this laptop off my lap, grab my guitar and continue to jam along with this live Zeppelin dvd

..."Unfortunately I didn't get to see the Sex Pistols. Back then you couldn't catch the Sex Pistols because all the gigs were being cancelled. It was a weird time, too, and an interesting time to go in there because it was fashionable. Did it bother me when we were labelled dinosaurs? No. It really didn't. I was more interested to hear what they were doing. I knew what I did, and what I'd done, and I had no problem with that. But I wanted to see what these guys were up to. And in fact they were really laying it down."

Jimmy Page

Mojo February 2010

...Hello and welcome... it is fashionable for us to continue The Tradition, most interested in what this generation has to say ...:)

Welcome!

Your enthusiasm is great. I did grow up in the 70's and had the priveledge to see them in 73 and 75 and sheduled for 77.I first heard "I Can't Quit You Babe" when I was nine and I never looked back. They were beholding , magnificent to see live.

Take some time and read the different topics here as there are quite a few with some of the best information on LZ. We have great people here of all ages who respect and love their music.

I wish you the best as you are inspired by the best music.

welcome2.gif

Hey, thanks a lot for responding, idk why i did that but i just basically wrote an essay on here and you read it, and thats awesome! haha cuz im honestly surprised someone did lol but yea i guess i pretty much just decided today that i need to surround myself with more people that like zeppelin as much as i do and it looks like i came to the right place. But i guess that i just have this one question for you... how actively involved were you in the hippy movement? Because idk why but for some reason im just fascinated by hippies haha

Hey, thanks a lot for responding, idk why i did that but i just basically wrote an essay on here and you read it, and thats awesome! haha cuz im honestly surprised someone did lol but yea i guess i pretty much just decided today that i need to surround myself with more people that like zeppelin as much as i do and it looks like i came to the right place. But i guess that i just have this one question for you... how actively involved were you in the hippy movement? Because idk why but for some reason im just fascinated by hippies haha

I was just a few years behind the real "Hippy Generation". however my friends in school had older siblings who were what you would call hippies. It was a different time. I grew up more in the 70's. :D

Hi young page prophecy,

Your enthusiasm is wonderful. Welcome to this place where you can get your Led on!!!!!!! Where others will appreciate and can relate to your Led obsession.

Just like Deborah J, I saw them live in '73 and '75. It changed my life, in so many ways.

I know you want stories about the 70's and LZ and I just have to share this with you -

My husband was in the position you want to be in when he was 18 years old. (He downplays it, he's not the die hard Led Head that I am.) It was May '73, he had just graduated high school and was working for an FM rock radio station in New Orleans. LZ was touring, staying in New Orleans and doing a concert there at the Municipal Auditorium (the one I saw in '73). Some of the people at the radio station got an invite to go to a party with LZ at the Royal Orleans Hotel in the quarter where they were staying. He just happened to be working that night and the DJ told him to come along. Of course he jumped at the chance. He said it was surreal, he couldn't believe he was there. I've tried to get as much as I can out him about it, "what was it like?, what was Plant like?, what was Page like?". But, being a guy, he just say's: "I don't know, I really didn't get a chance to talk to them. There were a lot of people there. I was only 18, right out of high school. I was a gopher at a local radio station, basically a nobody. There was no way I was going to go up to Page or Plant and try to talk to them. I was just happy to there at this great party and trying to take it all in." He did say the party libations were top notch, if you know what I mean.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is hold fast to your dream. I could happen. It happened to another 18 year old back in 1973. Good luck and maybe with your enthusiasm and talent, you can change the course of music. God knows, the music industry needs some big time shaking up.

Also, I wanted to add this:

You said you saw ZOSO, they are incredible. I want to let you know about another venue that does Zeppelin, this is the link : www.themusicofledzeppelin.com This is a LZ rock band that performs with a full symphony orchestra. It is fabulous!!!!!! You wouldn't believe how good LZ music sounds with a full symphony. My husband thought it was going to be lame, but he was blown away by the show. It is a rock show after all, and the lead singer, Randy Jackson, has Plant's vocals down pat. Don't miss this show if they ever come to your area.

hey justawoman,

I cant tell you how much i appreciate you responding to my post, and how awesome i think it is talking to you and all these different "Zep Heads" ( which is probably the sweetest term ive ever heard) haha

Your husbands story is incredible, and if i were in his same position I probably would have been shitting my pants lol but maybe with enough of those party libations I could have mustered up the courage, at least I like to think so tongue.gif

And ZOSO was the most amazing experience of my life, me and my friend did everything we could so we would feel just like we were watching Jimmy and the boys shred it back in the 70's, and I have to say I think we got pretty damn close ha.

But about that other band, i think i may have actually heard them before. I once stumbled upon a symphonic orchestra version of Stairway to Heaven on youtube, and it was absolutely beautiful, and i can assure you if that band is in my town i will be there.

I have one question for you though. As a die hard Zep fan, what is your favorite Led Zeppelin song of all time?

I fucking love them too and my dream is to meet Jimmy as well :) I pray to God he goes on tour this year as he gave the impression that he will in the Sky News interview (specifically in the US!)

I fucking love them too and my dream is to meet Jimmy as well (or at least see him in the flesh) :) I pray to God he goes on tour this year as he gave the impression that he will in the Sky News interview (specifically in the US!)

Hi young page prophecy,

Your enthusiasm is wonderful. Welcome to this place where you can get your Led on!!!!!!! Where others will appreciate and can relate to your Led obsession.

Just like Deborah J, I saw them live in '73 and '75. It changed my life, in so many ways.

I know you want stories about the 70's and LZ and I just have to share this with you -

My husband was in the position you want to be in when he was 18 years old. (He downplays it, he's not the die hard Led Head that I am.) It was May '73, he had just graduated high school and was working for an FM rock radio station in New Orleans. LZ was touring, staying in New Orleans and doing a concert there at the Municipal Auditorium (the one I saw in '73). Some of the people at the radio station got an invite to go to a party with LZ at the Royal Orleans Hotel in the quarter where they were staying. He just happened to be working that night and the DJ told him to come along. Of course he jumped at the chance. He said it was surreal, he couldn't believe he was there. I've tried to get as much as I can out him about it, "what was it like?, what was Plant like?, what was Page like?". But, being a guy, he just say's: "I don't know, I really didn't get a chance to talk to them. There were a lot of people there. I was only 18, right out of high school. I was a gopher at a local radio station, basically a nobody. There was no way I was going to go up to Page or Plant and try to talk to them. I was just happy to there at this great party and trying to take it all in." He did say the party libations were top notch, if you know what I mean.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is hold fast to your dream. I could happen. It happened to another 18 year old back in 1973. Good luck and maybe with your enthusiasm and talent, you can change the course of music. God knows, the music industry needs some big time shaking up.

Also, I wanted to add this:

You said you saw ZOSO, they are incredible. I want to let you know about another venue that does Zeppelin, this is the link : www.themusicofledzeppelin.com This is a LZ rock band that performs with a full symphony orchestra. It is fabulous!!!!!! You wouldn't believe how good LZ music sounds with a full symphony. My husband thought it was going to be lame, but he was blown away by the show. It is a rock show after all, and the lead singer, Randy Jackson, has Plant's vocals down pat. Don't miss this show if they ever come to your area.

I used to follow Zebra around New Orleans through the 80's and I just saw Randy's acoustic show here in Atlanta and I am going to see "The Music Of Pink Floyd" with Randy on May 15th at Mahalia Jackson Theater. I have posted many of their(Zebra) as well as Randy's music on the forum. He is just a humble, extremely talented man and musician. I hope to see quite a few more of his events.

You've raised some valid concerns about music ever increasingly becoming just another commodity to be bought and sold or used as background noise in our modern world. One thing about Led Zeppelin is they truly were a one of kind phenomenon, the likes of which we'll never see again. Having said that, I think there will always be tribes seeking a drumbeat, so to speak, and as such there will always be a need for musicians in society. If that is your calling and/or the path you seek to take I can only encourage you to maintain your enthusiasm and develop your own unique artistic vision as you forge ahead like a steam train.

Nice to see new faces emerging and enjoying the music of one of history's great bands. As much as I'd like to champion the cause , I would also like to think that the same open mindedness that led you to Zeppelin, would also allow you to find a way to many more artists that plyed their trade during the same era . Other era's too ! I think you'll find a wealth of inspiration by doing so smile.gif

You've raised some valid concerns about music ever increasingly becoming just another commodity to be bought and sold or used as background noise in our modern world. One thing about Led Zeppelin is they truly were a one of kind phenomenon, the likes of which we'll never see again. Having said that, I think there will always be tribes seeking a drumbeat, so to speak, and as such there will always be a need for musicians in society. If that is your calling and/or the path you seek to take I can only encourage you to maintain your enthusiasm and develop your own unique artistic vision as you forge ahead like a steam train.

Hey, thanks for reading my post i hope you enjoyed it. I cant agree with you more that Zeppelin is the most unique sound and image ever created, and also that music today is nothing but a means of making money. The media has this poor generation brainwashed to think it has to listen to what it puts out there in order to be cool. I fortunately enough, was never interested in rap and hip/hop music, and was able to continue expanding my musical knowledge, and then it was like an explosion in my brain when I discovered Zeppelin and I have listened to nothing but classic rock since. Zeppelin was the best thing that ever could have happened to me, because if it werent for them i never would have picked up a guitar, and I never would have realized that I did have dreams in life. Before my discovery, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but these past few months it couldnt have become, and keep continuing to become more clear to me. I do believe that I have a unique artistic vision and sound that will only continue to improve, and it is unique in the times of today because it sounds so similar to Jimmy Page. And I believe that there are enough people my age and in my generation out there, seeking the drumbeat that I am going to provide them with, to at least make a living as a start. Thanks a lot for listening to me, Im extremely interested to hear everything that you have to say.

Nice to see new faces emerging and enjoying the music of one of history's great bands. As much as I'd like to champion the cause , I would also like to think that the same open mindedness that led you to Zeppelin, would also allow you to find a way to many more artists that plyed their trade during the same era . Other era's too ! I think you'll find a wealth of inspiration by doing so smile.gif

Hey ally, thanks for reading my post. I just want to tell you that since I was led to Zeppelin my mind has been opened wider than the grand canyon. I listen to nothing but classic rock. Some of my other favorites inlude Boston, Journey, Clapton, The Beatles, Aerosmith, The Stones, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Black Sabbath, The Styx, and so many more I cant think of right now. Basically if it was made before my time and it has a guitar solo and some sick drums, then Im gonna listen to it, and Im gonna be jammin

I used to follow Zebra around New Orleans through the 80's and I just saw Randy's acoustic show here in Atlanta and I am going to see "The Music Of Pink Floyd" with Randy on May 15th at Mahalia Jackson Theater. I have posted many of their(Zebra) as well as Randy's music on the forum. He is just a humble, extremely talented man and musician. I hope to see quite a few more of his events.

Hey Deborah, I saw that on their website yesterday. I'm thinking of getting tickets to that show. It ought to be incredible!!!! My hubbie is going to be in Houston that weekend, but I might be able to get my 21 yr. old son to go with me (he's the only other person I know, besides my husband, who is into classic rock - so sad).

Keep up the enthusiasim and the dream and have fun.

Young budding guitarist can't forget Hendrix on that list.

I grew up in the 70's and loved the music coming out but didn't realize how awsome it all really was compared to what is coming out these days. In retrospect I realize how lucky I was seeing in some of these bands in concert in their heyday. Unfortunately, I never got to see Led Zeppelin in concert and have a little envy for those that did.

hey justawoman,

I cant tell you how much i appreciate you responding to my post, and how awesome i think it is talking to you and all these different "Zep Heads" ( which is probably the sweetest term ive ever heard) haha

Your husbands story is incredible, and if i were in his same position I probably would have been shitting my pants lol but maybe with enough of those party libations I could have mustered up the courage, at least I like to think so tongue.gif

And ZOSO was the most amazing experience of my life, me and my friend did everything we could so we would feel just like we were watching Jimmy and the boys shred it back in the 70's, and I have to say I think we got pretty damn close ha.

But about that other band, i think i may have actually heard them before. I once stumbled upon a symphonic orchestra version of Stairway to Heaven on youtube, and it was absolutely beautiful, and i can assure you if that band is in my town i will be there.

I have one question for you though. As a die hard Zep fan, what is your favorite Led Zeppelin song of all time?

Hello again young page prophecy,

It's funny you should ask that. Just last night my husband and I were listening to LZ's 1975 Baton Rouge concert that I downloaded to my ipod and we were discussing what was our favorite LZ song! We came to the conclusion that we couldn't pick a favorite, too many to choose from. We narrowed it down to our top 5 favorites. I would have to say mine are: In My Time of Dying, The Rover, When the Levee Breaks, Kashmir, the Rain Song. Other top ones are the Ocean, Bring in on Home, Ten Years Gone, What is and What Should Never Be, Sick Again, You Shook Me.

yea i wouldnt be complaining if i were you haha. how old were when you got to see them?

Hello!

I was almost 13 and 15 when I saw them. It was like the gods were coming to town! These events (as to me they were more than just a concert) just took you on a journey! I was so fortunate to see them at those times. I am so glad to see those of you younger wanting to keep the guitar alive.

Keep us up to date :guitar_mood:

Hey Deborah, I saw that on their website yesterday. I'm thinking of getting tickets to that show. It ought to be incredible!!!! My hubbie is going to be in Houston that weekend, but I might be able to get my 21 yr. old son to go with me (he's the only other person I know, besides my husband, who is into classic rock - so sad).

Let me know if you are going. PM me and I will give you my info so we can meet up :D

Keep up the enthusiasim and the dream and have fun.

Young budding guitarist can't forget Hendrix on that list.

I grew up in the 70's and loved the music coming out but didn't realize how awsome it all really was compared to what is coming out these days. In retrospect I realize how lucky I was seeing in some of these bands in concert in their heyday. Unfortunately, I never got to see Led Zeppelin in concert and have a little envy for those that did.

Thanks, and i did forget hendrix on that list and i dont know what i was thinking, because I can assure you that he belongs on there, I listen to him all the time. He is the subject of my favorite T-Shirt! lol

Hello again young page prophecy,

It's funny you should ask that. Just last night my husband and I were listening to LZ's 1975 Baton Rouge concert that I downloaded to my ipod and we were discussing what was our favorite LZ song! We came to the conclusion that we couldn't pick a favorite, too many to choose from. We narrowed it down to our top 5 favorites. I would have to say mine are: In My Time of Dying, The Rover, When the Levee Breaks, Kashmir, the Rain Song. Other top ones are the Ocean, Bring in on Home, Ten Years Gone, What is and What Should Never Be, Sick Again, You Shook Me.

That is quite the list and coincidence as well lol. I would have to say the top spot for me is a tie between dazed and confused, Stairway, and Achilles Last Stand, and then besides those its pretty much a tie between every other song they ever made lol but notables would be Over the Hills and Far Away, The Ocean, Good Times Bad Times, Since Ive Been Loving You, Ten Years Gone, In My time of Dying, and Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp

Hello!

I was almost 13 and 15 when I saw them. It was like the gods were coming to town! These events (as to me they were more than just a concert) just took you on a journey! I was so fortunate to see them at those times. I am so glad to see those of you younger wanting to keep the guitar alive.

Keep us up to date guitar_mood.gif

Hello again to you to!

That is such a great description, the gods were coming to town. And you are so right, they are more than concerts, at least thats what I can infer from watching them on dvd. Their transitions from one song into another are so perfect, and the setlists are put in the perfect order by the moods of the songs. Its like the concert is a play without any intermissions

Archived