Which Box Set Should I Get?

I need some advice. I have all the Zeppelin LPs on old CDs (I'm too young to have the original vinyls) and the two Remasters Box Sets from the early 1990s (the ones with the crop circles on the front). I tend to listen to those the most because they're remasters. It's my birthday next month and I would really like to get the original LPs in a remastered boxset. As far as I'm aware there's two available - one from 1994 called the Complete Studio Recordings and a Definitive Collection of Mini Replica LPs (which I think is a Japanese import). I'm so confused because I've read different reviews of both. Does anyone have either of these? Which is the best in terms of sound quality? The only remastered album I have is the Song Remains the Same and I really like the sound quality on that. Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated. :)

I'm having the same dilemma as you. I recently purchased a mini lp box only to find it was a fake from China, so now I'm deciding which box to replace it with. The Mini LP box is technically the better product, since it features 10 albums (8 studio records, Coda with 4 bonus tracks, and The Song Remains the Same), replicas of the original LPs (spinning LZ3 wheel, window in PG, etc.), and SHM-CDs (super high material cds; said to have slightly better audio quality). However, there are definite setbacks to trying to purchase this. Number one, there is always a chance you will buy a fake, since I believe only 2000 real ones were made. The fakes look exactly the same on the outside packaging, but feature no LZ3 wheel, no PG windows, and I believe they do not have real SHM-CDs (my cds say SHM, but skip on a few songs, leading me to believe they're fake). The other setback is the price. I see most at around $170-$200, but those could always be fake. If you look up mini lp boxes listed as authentic with SHM-CDs, most are around $250+. If your willing to pay extra to be sure you get a real box, you won't be disappointed with the great product. However, the Complete Studio Recordings is probably a better deal. It contains 9 albums (same as mini lp except no TSRTS) on regular remastered cds, so you won't have to worry about getting what you paid for like the SHM-CDs in the mini lp box. The cds come in hard cover booklets (2 cds per booklet, except PG which takes up a whole booklet) which include pictures of the original LP artwork. The box also includes a booklet featuring pictures of the band and an essay on the band by Cameron Crowe. This box usually runs for around $90-$120. In my opinion, I'd go for the Complete Studio Recordings, since you already have TSRTS and it's probably a better overall deal. However, if you're willing to spend extra money, the mini lp box is a bit better, since it has cooler packaging and SHM-CDs.

Here are the pros and cons of each laid out, so you can compare:

Mini LP Pros

SHM-CDs

Includes The Song Remains The Same

Cool orignal lp packaging

Mini LP Cons

More expensive

Possible fakes

Complete Studio Pros

Cheaper

Less risky purchace

Booklet with pictures and essay

Complete Studio Cons

No The Song Remains The Same

No SHM-CDs

Cool packaging, but not as cool as mini lp box

I hope this helps! :D

I'm having the same dilemma as you. I recently purchased a mini lp box only to find it was a fake from China, so now I'm deciding which box to replace it with. The Mini LP box is technically the better product, since it features 10 albums (8 studio records, Coda with 4 bonus tracks, and The Song Remains the Same), replicas of the original LPs (spinning LZ3 wheel, window in PG, etc.), and SHM-CDs (super high material cds; said to have slightly better audio quality). However, there are definite setbacks to trying to purchase this. Number one, there is always a chance you will buy a fake, since I believe only 2000 real ones were made. The fakes look exactly the same on the outside packaging, but feature no LZ3 wheel, no PG windows, and I believe they do not have real SHM-CDs (my cds say SHM, but skip on a few songs, leading me to believe they're fake). The other setback is the price. I see most at around $170-$200, but those could always be fake. If you look up mini lp boxes listed as authentic with SHM-CDs, most are around $250+. If your willing to pay extra to be sure you get a real box, you won't be disappointed with the great product. However, the Complete Studio Recordings is probably a better deal. It contains 9 albums (same as mini lp except no TSRTS) on regular remastered cds, so you won't have to worry about getting what you paid for like the SHM-CDs in the mini lp box. The cds come in hard cover booklets (2 cds per booklet, except PG which takes up a whole booklet) which include pictures of the original LP artwork. The box also includes a booklet featuring pictures of the band and an essay on the band by Cameron Crowe. This box usually runs for around $90-$120. In my opinion, I'd go for the Complete Studio Recordings, since you already have TSRTS and it's probably a better overall deal. However, if you're willing to spend extra money, the mini lp box is a bit better, since it has cooler packaging and SHM-CDs.

Here are the pros and cons of each laid out, so you can compare:

Mini LP Pros

SHM-CDs

Includes The Song Remains The Same

Cool orignal lp packaging

Mini LP Cons

More expensive

Possible fakes

Complete Studio Pros

Cheaper

Less risky purchace

Booklet with pictures and essay

Complete Studio Cons

No The Song Remains The Same

No SHM-CDs

Cool packaging, but not as cool as mini lp box

I hope this helps! :D

Thank you for this defintive answer/suggestions. It's really helpful. I'm leaning towards the Complete Studio Recordings because, like you, I'm worried about fakes being produced in China, and, as you say, that set's a lot cheaper but still nicely packaged which is important to me. B) I have the remastered TSRTS already (so in theory I would be buying it twice), I just like the fact that in the other set you get the original albums artwork/features, but how often will I look at them. I think that will be more of novelty that will probably wear off. It's the music that matters the most and quality of the sound, and, of course, having a nice looking boxset sat on my shelf!

Thank you for this defintive answer/suggestions. It's really helpful. I'm leaning towards the Complete Studio Recordings because, like you, I'm worried about fakes being produced in China, and, as you say, that set's a lot cheaper but still nicely packaged which is important to me. B) I have the remastered TSRTS already (so in theory I would be buying it twice), I just like the fact that in the other set you get the original albums artwork/features, but how often will I look at them. I think that will be more of novelty that will probably wear off. It's the music that matters the most and quality of the sound, and, of course, having a nice looking boxset sat on my shelf!

Personally I think the the faithful replica's on the Japanese SHMCD's are an added value to the Zeppelin experience. Why not check out a good Japanese webshop (Neolith Kyoto or CD Japan) ? This is is the best way to get the genuine article. Listening to Zeppelin with a good set of headphones while enjoying the visual/tactile sensation of those cardboaard reissues is simply unbeatable. This said, no collection would be complete without the original TSRTS version.wink.gif

Now I'm wanting the Japanese set with all the replica material! Are all the Japanese sets SHM CDs? Or were these only produced in a limited number, 2,000 I think? Amazon is selling this set, but it doesn't say anything about SHM recordings. There are meant to be lots of fakes on ebay that have been produced in China, but the one on Amazon has manufactured in Japan printed on it so it's unlikely to be a fake. This video just makes me want it even more! B)

Well I've thinking about this all day and decided in the end to get the Japanese Definitive Collection with the original mini replica LPs. Thank you Cheesehead and Duckman for you input. This set at £100 was only mariginally more expensive than the Complete Studio Recordings, it's limited edition, and I simply prefer it's presentation. It's quite a big purchase for me and I wanted to be sure that I got the set I would be happy with for life (I won't be buying any more remasters that Jimmy cares to release!) These CDs are, however, not the SHMCDs which are extremely hard to find now, hence so many fakes on the market, and are well out of my price range. I don't have any of the remastered studio albums, just the two boxsets from the early 90s so I'm looking forward to listening to Zeppelin as it was originally recorded. Also I've never owned any of the original LPs, so a lot of the artwork will be new to me. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this set now. :)

Well I've thinking about this all day and decided in the end to get the Japanese Definitive Collection with the original mini replica LPs. Thank you Cheesehead and Duckman for you input. This set at £100 was only mariginally more expensive than the Complete Studio Recordings, it's limited edition, and I simply prefer it's presentation. It's quite a big purchase for me and I wanted to be sure that I got the set I would be happy with for life (I won't be buying any more remasters that Jimmy cares to release!) These CDs are, however, not the SHMCDs which are extremely hard to find now, hence so many fakes on the market, and are well out of my price range. I don't have any of the remastered studio albums, just the two boxsets from the early 90s so I'm looking forward to listening to Zeppelin as it was originally recorded. Also I've never owned any of the original LPs, so a lot of the artwork will be new to me. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this set now. :)

You made a good choice, especially if it was only a small amount more than the CSR. Where did you buy the box from? Is it same box that's in the video you posted?

I got the set from Amazon Marketplace, and yes it's the same as the one in the video. I contacted the seller and it has the same label on the front and it says manufactured in Japan on it. I haven't seen many of the Japanese mini replicas that cheap individually here in the UK. HMV have a couple and most of them go for around the £20 mark. Anyway I much prefer to have them in a boxset (presentation is important to me :D ) and one that's limited edition. Cheesehead, I would get this set to replace your fake set (I saw one on ebay yesterday being sold cheaply and directly from China so I reported it as being counterfeit). You may not have the SHM CDs, but you you get all the remastered albums and the original artwork. When mine arrives I'll let know what I think. :)

I got the set from Amazon Marketplace, and yes it's the same as the one in the video. I contacted the seller and it has the same label on the front and it says manufactured in Japan on it. I haven't seen many of the Japanese mini replicas that cheap individually here in the UK. HMV have a couple and most of them go for around the £20 mark. Anyway I much prefer to have them in a boxset (presentation is important to me :D ) and one that's limited edition. Cheesehead, I would get this set to replace your fake set (I saw one on ebay yesterday being sold cheaply and directly from China so I reported it as being counterfeit). You may not have the SHM CDs, but you you get all the remastered albums and the original artwork. When mine arrives I'll let know what I think. :)

Ok thanks, the only problem I see is that some of the mini lp boxsets don't include the bonus tracks on Coda and The Song Remains The Same, and I'd really like to have those. Let me know if yours comes with those please. ;)

Ok thanks, the only problem I see is that some of the mini lp boxsets don't include the bonus tracks on Coda and The Song Remains The Same, and I'd really like to have those. Let me know if yours comes with those please. ;)

According to the reviews on Amazon, this boxset does include the bonus tracks on Coda such as Travelling Riverside Blues and TSRTS. I hope this set contains these. :unsure: Mine is on it's way, so I'll let you know what's included when it arrives.

Well I got the box set you got (I think) on regular cd with the bonus tracks listed. I got it for $160 or about £102 for you in the U.K. How much did you pay for yours? I hope neither of us got ripped off...dry.gif

Mine has just arrived with the postman, I haven't opened it yet. :D I paid £99.99 for mine with £1.24 for postage so practically exactly the same as you. I shopped around and this was the cheapest new set available, so no I don't think we've been ripped off.

Mine has just arrived with the postman, I haven't opened it yet. :D I paid £99.99 for mine with £1.24 for postage so practically exactly the same as you. I shopped around and this was the cheapest new set available, so no I don't think we've been ripped off.

Cool, hope your set looks and sounds great! ;)

Cool, hope your set looks and sounds great! ;)

I love my set. :wub: The albums covers are all present and correct with the spinning wheel on III and cut out windows on PG. It comes with the TSRTS complete with a cool textured cover, and Coda with the bonus tracks, but these aren't listed on the album. I've only listened to the first album, but the sound quality is really good. B)

All the albums come with plastic covers but I'm thinking of disposing of them as these are cheap looking and the sticky edge keeps getting caught on the album covers.

I need some advice. I have all the Zeppelin LPs on old CDs (I'm too young to have the original vinyls). Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated. :)

Well, to get the "Best" Sounding Zeppelin on Record, you could purchase this boxed set of LPs:

Led-Zeppelin-45rpm-Box-Set-358028.jpg

Classic Records

Classic Records’ Led Zeppelin Road Case Set contains all 10 of LZ’s albums on 48 single-sided 200-gram records. All discs were cut at 45 rpm and pressed on Quiex SV-P vinyl.

Check E-Bay

Well, to get the "Best" Sounding Zeppelin on Record, you could purchase this boxed set of LPs:

Led-Zeppelin-45rpm-Box-Set-358028.jpg

Classic Records

Classic Records Led Zeppelin Road Case Set contains all 10 of LZs albums on 48 single-sided 200-gram records. All discs were cut at 45 rpm and pressed on Quiex SV-P vinyl.

Check E-Bay

Wow, that looks fantastic. I would love to have the vinyls but don't have a record player so I would be very frustrated that I couldn't listen to them. Maybe one day when finances permit. B)

Hi Magic,

Please don't get rid of the mylar plastic sleeves that protect your mini lp's. If you think it's annoying, store the CD's in a slimline case. The mylar sleeves will keep your cardboard sleeves( and those funky OBI's) in sound condition. You won't regret !

Greetz,

DuckmanB)

Archived