Black Oak Arkansas

Misfit

Ever hear any Black Oak Arkansas?

You bet cha.....First saw them a the Calif Jam 1 in 1974 and later in San Diego at the Civic Auditorium. Front row seats so it was up close and personal. Had a great time. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed them.

Go Jim Dandy!!!!

You bet cha.....First saw them a the Calif Jam 1 in 1974 and later in San Diego at the Civic Auditorium. Front row seats so it was up close and personal. Had a great time. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed them.

Go Jim Dandy!!!!

Cool!! B)

I remember MTV VJ Martha Quinn introducing an old Black Oak Arkansas clip on Classic MTV by saying, "imagine David Lee Roth crossed with Jethro Bodine and you have Jim Dandy Mangrum". I never thought she was very far off with that summation.

This one got quite a bit of airplay on the ol' 8-track back in the day:

15000897.jpg

• 5 months later...

From NoDepression.com:

Jim Dandy to the rescue: an interview

with a Southern rock icon

coeshowdogfight023.jpg

The musical overlords at Rolling Stone and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame want you to believe that the Allman Brothers Band, ZZ Top, and Lynyrd Skynyrd are the only Southern rock groups worth listening to and while your local classic rock station will extend that list to include the likes of Molly Hatchet, the Marshall Tucker Band, Blackfoot, and the Outlaws, every facet of the rock establishment continues to ignore one of the greatest bands of the era. In the 1970s, Black Oak Arkansas racked up several gold and platinum albums, had a legitimate hit single, and became well-known for their energetic live performances, playing for over 200,000 at 1974's legendary California Jam. They counted the likes of Elvis Presley and John Lennon among their fans and Lennon even described the band as being "ahead of their time," a claim that gained legitimacy a decade later when guys like David Lee Roth and Axl Rose would rise to prominence by directly copying the stage persona of Black Oak Arkansas vocalist Jim "Dandy" Mangrum.

To read the interview click here.

Archived