Roger Waters "The Wall" at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA 11/8/10

Wolfman

WOW!!! I must agree with some of the other members on here, this was one mind-numbing show. The visuals are just amazing and the band that performed with RW was just as good. I don't want to give too much away but this is a must see for any true Floyd fan. There are two sets with a half-hour intermission. No opener and the band comes on right around 8:10 (don't be late). This was by far one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Roger is more animated than I have ever seen him too. Lots of fun. Also, it was cool to hear that Comfortably Numb (my fave Floyd song) is based on a allergic-reaction Roger had to a drug in the old Spectrum.

One show at the arena, which is slated for destruction, sticks out in Waters' mind. As a result, he says, the song "Comfortably Numb" "resides in the Spectrum."

"I was getting ready to do a gig there, and I had some stomach bug. Terrible, terrible stomach cramps. We had a doctor come into the hotel and say, 'Well, we can take care of that.' "And he gave me a shot, and to this day I don't know what it was. But it's not something I would ever recommend giving to a human being. It came out of a dart that felt like it was used to tranquilize an elephant. And we did the whole show, and I was barely able to stand. And that's where the term 'comfortably numb' came out of."

Trust me, you will be blown away. Here's the setlist:

SET 1

1. In The Flesh?

2. The Thin Ice

3. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1

4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives

5. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2

6. Mother

7. Goodbye Blue Sky

8. Empty Spaces

9. What Shall We Do Now?

10. Young Lust

11. One Of My Turns

12. Don't Leave Me Now

13. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 3

14. The Last Few Bricks

15. Goodbye Cruel World

SET 2

16. Hey You

17. Is There Anybody Out There?

18. Nobody Home

19. Vera

20. Bring The Boys Back Home

21. Comfortably Numb (INCREDIBLE!!!)

22. The Show Must Go ON

23. In The Flesh

24. Run Like Hell

25. Waiting For The Worms

26. Stop

27. The Trial

28. Outside The Wall

It amazes me that The Wall is usually not a very highly regarded album by Pink Floyd and non-Pink Floyd fans alike yet this current tour has Waters receiving some of the highest praise of his career.

With all due respect, that is a rather large assumption. You have covered the whole world there. 'Pink Floyd fans' and 'non Pink Floyd fans'. Seriously though, what are you basing that on? Even before this tour "the Wall" is one of the best selling albums of all time. Media praise or dismissal has gone back and forward over the years depending on the current 'fashion' at the time. 'Columnists/ writers/ reviewers come and go.....The body of work remains. Same could be said of Led Zep. In and out of "fashion". "Cool" or "not cool" according to the "media" or "era".

So fuck the media and the current praise of Waters. In a few years time they will slag it off again.

The point is "the Wall" will still be around to be discussed/praised/ dismissed".

I just can't agree that Pink floyd fans "usually" do not regard this highly. That is a lot of fans you are talking about.

With all due respect, that is a rather large assumption. You have covered the whole world there. 'Pink Floyd fans' and 'non Pink Floyd fans'. Seriously though, what are you basing that on? Even before this tour "the Wall" is one of the best selling albums of all time. Media praise or dismissal has gone back and forward over the years depending on the current 'fashion' at the time. 'Columnists/ writers/ reviewers come and go.....The body of work remains. Same could be said of Led Zep. In and out of "fashion". "Cool" or "not cool" according to the "media" or "era".

So fuck the media and the current praise of Waters. In a few years time they will slag it off again.

The point is "the Wall" will still be around to be discussed/praised/ dismissed".

I just can't agree that Pink floyd fans "usually" do not regard this highly. That is a lot of fans you are talking about.

I'm basing my thoughts on what I've read from Pink Floyd fans (and "casual" fans) online, including this board. No need to get all in a huff about it. I like the record and don't doubt it's historical significance. That said, I feel like side 4 is it's weakest link.

• 2 months later...

WOW!!! I must agree with some of the other members on here, this was one mind-numbing show. The visuals are just amazing and the band that performed with RW was just as good. I don't want to give too much away but this is a must see for any true Floyd fan. There are two sets with a half-hour intermission. No opener and the band comes on right around 8:10 (don't be late). This was by far one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Roger is more animated than I have ever seen him too. Lots of fun. Also, it was cool to hear that Comfortably Numb (my fave Floyd song) is based on a allergic-reaction Roger had to a drug in the old Spectrum.

One show at the arena, which is slated for destruction, sticks out in Waters' mind. As a result, he says, the song "Comfortably Numb" "resides in the Spectrum."

"I was getting ready to do a gig there, and I had some stomach bug. Terrible, terrible stomach cramps. We had a doctor come into the hotel and say, 'Well, we can take care of that.' "And he gave me a shot, and to this day I don't know what it was. But it's not something I would ever recommend giving to a human being. It came out of a dart that felt like it was used to tranquilize an elephant. And we did the whole show, and I was barely able to stand. And that's where the term 'comfortably numb' came out of."

Trust me, you will be blown away. Here's the setlist:

SET 1

1. In The Flesh?

2. The Thin Ice

3. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1

4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives

5. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2

6. Mother

7. Goodbye Blue Sky

8. Empty Spaces

9. What Shall We Do Now?

10. Young Lust

11. One Of My Turns

12. Don't Leave Me Now

13. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 3

14. The Last Few Bricks

15. Goodbye Cruel World

SET 2

16. Hey You

17. Is There Anybody Out There?

18. Nobody Home

19. Vera

20. Bring The Boys Back Home

21. Comfortably Numb (INCREDIBLE!!!)

22. The Show Must Go ON

23. In The Flesh

24. Run Like Hell

25. Waiting For The Worms

26. Stop

27. The Trial

28. Outside The Wall

Got tickets near the front from his website for a gig in Manchetser in May, cannot wait :), as a spectacle this has to be the show all Floyd fans have been waiting, for , certainly all the Floyd fans I know.

Leddy, it absolutely is the show all Floyd fans have been waiting for! I saw the Gilmour-led Floyd a number of times and this Wall show feels so much more like a Floyd show than they did. No disrespect to David, as they put on great shows as well, but this show had the grit that was missing before - Animals era type of grit. You know what I mean? I won't tell you too much and ruin any potential surprises, but at the end when everyone is chanting "tear down the wall" - it was the most intense experience I have ever had at a rock 'n roll concert. Just an amazing show! I don't know how many concerts I have been to the last 30 years (and it has been MANY), but I can't say that anyone of them was better than Roger's "The Wall" show. Get to your seat at least 10 min. before the show begins (the PA announce gives you an idea of how much time until they take the stage) and take in all of the nuances of what is going on. The intermission is also something that shouldn't be missed either. Have a good one!!

Leddy, it absolutely is the show all Floyd fans have been waiting for! I saw the Gilmour-led Floyd a number of times and this Wall show feels so much more like a Floyd show than they did. No disrespect to David, as they put on great shows as well, but this show had the grit that was missing before - Animals era type of grit. You know what I mean? I won't tell you too much and ruin any potential surprises, but at the end when everyone is chanting "tear down the wall" - it was the most intense experience I have ever had at a rock 'n roll concert. Just an amazing show! I don't know how many concerts I have been to the last 30 years (and it has been MANY), but I can't say that anyone of them was better than Roger's "The Wall" show. Get to your seat at least 10 min. before the show begins (the PA announce gives you an idea of how much time until they take the stage) and take in all of the nuances of what is going on. The intermission is also something that shouldn't be missed either. Have a good one!!

I know when we last saw old Rog when he did DSOTM, we all thought as a spectacle he just has to take "The Wall" out on tour. I too saw the Gilmour ledFloyd a few times, great shows.

I know someone on FB that was at oneof the few Floyd "The Wall" shows back in 1980....cool. Saw them in 1988 and 1990.

Looking forward to it more now you have said all that :)

Archived