Question about 95' Tour

I've had a few debates (chosen words) with a few people about the reasons behind Porl Thompsons involvement on the 95' Page/Plant Tour. I would have to guess it was to add color to the songs they had chosen to play for that tour. Others think Page didn't know the songs well enough, which I know is total bullshit. Does anyone have any articles or links to share regarding the truth behind this collaboration? Thanks in advance.

I've had a few debates (chosen words) with a few people about the reasons behind Porl Thompsons involvement on the 95' Page/Plant Tour. I would have to guess it was to add color to the songs they had chosen to play for that tour. Others think Page didn't know the songs well enough, which I know is total bullshit. Does anyone have any articles or links to share regarding the truth behind this collaboration? Thanks in advance.

To say he was brought into the Unledded project to add color to the songs is correct. A good example is Gallows Pole, which featured Jimmy on guitar, Porl on banjo. Bringing him on tour complimented their "new picture in an old frame" approach.

Lullaby is a Porl song (with the Cure). Robert (Calling to You) & Jimmy (Shake My Tree) also had a solo song apiece played. Nigel Eaton's hurdy-gurdy solo is actually Ffarwel I Aberystwyth, a track from the Whirling Pope Joan album Nigel recorded with Julie Murphy.

I'd like to dispel the rumors as to why Porl left the tour before it reached Japan & Australia. The fact is his wife was expecting. It's that simple. His last concert with them was the second Madison Square Garden concert in October 1995 (last night of the second North American leg). Just prior to the encores Robert said some kind words and then had bellydancers treat Porl to a brief performance. Jimmy presented Porl with a massive floral arrangement and hug. I've got this on videotape and a photo.

Edited by SteveAJones

To say he was brought into the Unledded project to add color to the songs is correct. A good example is Gallows Pole, which featured Jimmy on guitar, Porl on banjo. Bringing him on tour complimented their "new picture in an old frame" approach.

Lullaby is a Porl song (with the Cure). Robert (Calling to You) & Jimmy (Shake My Tree) also had a solo song apiece played. Nigel Eaton's hurdy-gurdy solo is actually Ffarwel I Aberystwyth, a track from the Whirling Pope Joan album Nigel recorded with Julie Murphy.

I'd like to dispel the rumors as to why Porl left the tour before it reached Japan & Australia. The fact is his wife was expecting. It's that simple. His last concert with them was the second Madison Square Garden concert in October 1995 (last night of the second North American leg). Just prior to the encores Robert said some kind words and then had bellydancers treat Porl to a brief performance. Jimmy presented Porl with a massive floral arrangement and hug. I've got this on videotape and a photo.

Very cool Steve. I was there. Way in the back, but I as there. I definitely remember the bellydancers and alot of roses.

I picked it up on ebay awhile back on vhs as well. not very good quality however.

didn't know that the "celebration" was for Porl or that it was his last show. I thought it was just because it was the last night of the US leg of the tour.

Saw it the night before also. for me shows four and five of that tour. Just amazing performances I thought.

Will never forget No quarter that night. Had an amazing haunting sound to it.

Hey Steve, what were some of the other songs from Robert's solo catalog that were tried out for the '95 tour that didn't make it past the rehearsals? For some reason I remember a interview were they said there were some tracks from Manic Nirvana that they were trying to work out.........

I thought that was the case. Someone on youtube kept trying to convince people it was because Page didn't know the songs well enough (he forgot the songs) which is complete bullshit. I just wanted some confirmation from an outsider, but I was also curious myself to know why. I enjoyed his playing with them and the solos he did onstage. Still wish there was a link from the horses mouth explaining the idea and reason for the collaboration. Thanks Steve and everyone else.

I thought that was the case. Someone on youtube kept trying to convince people it was because Page didn't know the songs well enough (he forgot the songs) which is complete bullshit.

Shake My Tree and several of the Led Zeppelin songs performed with Page/Plant were also performed with David Coverdale on a tour of Japan (December 1993). It is absurd for anyone to suggest he'd forgotten how to play songs he not only wrote but performed less than a year and a half prior.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hey Steve, what were some of the other songs from Robert's solo catalog that were tried out for the '95 tour that didn't make it past the rehearsals? For some reason I remember a interview were they said there were some tracks from Manic Nirvana that they were trying to work out.........

I'll have to look into this. Very few tracks on Manic Nirvana seem suitable for the setlist, with the exception of Watching You.