What's the hardest instrument to master?

missytootsweet

Sometimes I wonder if I could back in time and learn an instrument what would be the easiest/hardest to learn and master? I'm talking say, as a teenager.

These are the choices I would be selecting from: the electric lead(?) guitar, the bass guitar, keyboards, or the drums. Here's my guesses.

I would think the stringed intruments would be easiest because you wouldn't have to know much about reading music or keeping time but must have dexterity in your hands and a good ear. Of course, I'm a leftie so maybe it's not as easy for us (dexterity wise).

The bass is probably the easiest, after all it only has 4 strings.

Keyboards would probably be pretty difficult because I've read many good keyboad players like JPJ and Rick Wakeman were "classically trained". That sounds hard and time intensive!

The drums would seem the hardest to me. I'm sure there is a whole special technique to it other than hitting them straight-away. I've heard the terms "drum fills and drum rolls" and even though not sure what that all means it sounds hard and yet very intricate too at the same time.

Sooo......Since this is the musicians corner could you tell me if my guesses are even in the ballpark? thanks :).....missy

I have dabbled in lots of instruments over the years, even if its just fleeting, I would have to say to master any instrument is hard and takes time even if at the beginning its simpler than others....to be dam fine on any one of them is a life long process.

You say about not neeing to read music, timing for the guitar, gee TIMING is the most important thing with any instrument. Being lefty doesn't make any difference with guitar because you can hhave a left handed guitar. The hand that does the hardest work on is your fretting hand apposed to the other hand that picks or plucks. As suchhmost of us whether your left or rt handed. (I am lefthanded), probably make it harder for ourselves. For me my lt hand is the strongest, yet I us that hand to pick/pluck and tap, yet as I say the otherhand is doing the hrdest work. Same for rt handed, they use their strongest hand to do the easiest work....strange but thats why both Gary Moore and Mark Knopler play right handed guitar even though they are lefties, they say because of exactly what I have just said about the stronghand.

I as a kid played Trombone,flute, double bass and a bit of keys, nothing special with any of them but I would say the intruments you have to blow are harder than others because it s not just hands but ye gob too lol. But remember they are all hard if you trully want to be a master

The electric guitar is easy to start off with, but I spend many an hour frustrated as hell sometimes as I want to command the instrument and not it on me due to my misgivings and lack of being good. Saying that I love it.

Jon Lord who is vitiouso said something like the same thing yet to me he can playanything, yet even now he still feels he needs to tame the beast, its a life long learning, just as you think you have something else pops up and you go dam new technique lol.

Sorry to ramble and am sure you will get others writing.

PS yes classical trainingis bloody strict, in some ways thats great, in other ways it can stiffle things sometimes, Theory is good and building blocks, but once learnt you need to blow them down or you get stuck in a rut, thats why rock/metal/jazz can be like freedom compared to strict classical stuff, saying that alot rock music nicks alot of classical melody. Which is prob why i like it.

Of course, I'm a leftie so maybe it's not as easy for us (dexterity wise).

D'oh! Hendrix was a lefty, Cobain, McCartney, etc. Us lefties are plenty dexterous! I didn't know that Knopfler is one, thanks Leddy. I play a right-handed guitar for the same reason, though tragically I'm not anywhere near Mark Knopfler in skill level.

I don't think you need to be a teenager to start playing an instrument, you can begin at any age. Why not? As long as you're not banking on doing it as a career, it's about whatever sparks your interest.

P.S. Keyboards are not difficult to learn and you can get 'em pretty cheap these days. Wakeman is amazing but the funny thing is that he doesn't follow what every piano teacher tells you: arch your fingers as you play - he plays with the flat of his fingertips, which is a big no-no. On the Yes Fans forum, a girl was telling how she informed Mr. Wakeman of this fact (as if he didn't know!) and he merely listened to her very politely. What a gent.

P.S.S. The people at YesFans are quite nice. Squire's wife used to post there a lot - maybe she still does, I haven't visited in awhile.

D'oh! Hendrix was a lefty, Cobain, McCartney, etc. Us lefties are plenty dexterous! I didn't know that Knopfler is one, thanks Leddy. I play a right-handed guitar for the same reason, though tragically I'm not anywhere near Mark Knopfler in skill level.

I don't think you need to be a teenager to start playing an instrument, you can begin at any age. Why not? As long as you're not banking on doing it as a career, it's about whatever sparks your interest.

P.S. Keyboards are not difficult to learn and you can get 'em pretty cheap these days. Wakeman is amazing but the funny thing is that he doesn't follow what every piano teacher tells you: arch your fingers as you play - he plays with the flat of his fingertips, which is a big no-no. On the Yes Fans forum, a girl was telling how she informed Mr. Wakeman of this fact (as if he didn't know!) and he merely listened to her very politely. What a gent.

P.S.S. The people at YesFans are quite nice. Squire's wife used to post there a lot - maybe she still does, I haven't visited in awhile.

Cool thats the great thing about popular music, it broke the rules of classical teaching, which is great, as I said before these techniques and theory are all building blocks but if you come up with another way go for it.

That why some musicians sound the same because they all learn from the same hymm book, where as the true greats tore the book up, even in Classical times...thats the way forward...keep moving on.

FireOpal and leddy,

Wow, all 3 of us lefties. Okay, I have to ask this out of curiosity. Which hand do you bowl with, swing a bat with, and hit a tennis raquet with?

I bowl (well I should say when I've bowled,--been ages) it's with my right hand.

I would swing a bat with my right hand on the bottom too.

However, when it comes to tennis, I would only be able to hit a smash with a the raquet in my left hand.

Maybe it has something to do with the power of your hand at a certain body height. Like waist level sports versus higher or lower if that makes any sense. :blink: missy

Back on topic: leddy, (or anyone that knows) I wonder how hard the bass can be with only those 4 strings?...

Don't judge "difficulty" by the number of strings. A violin only has four strings too.

Do you think this is would be easy?

Or this?

Difficulty of learning an instrument can have as much to do with the person learning as it has to do with the instrument. Some folk can master one particular instrument but never get on with another - there is no "rule" to it. Sure there is a physical complexity to an organist playing one keyboard manual with each of his hands plus another manual with his feet, but for many people even just producing the first note from a new instrument can be the hardest thing for them. Any stringed instrument without frets has the aditional problem of having to intonate each note as they are played; brass instruments may need to be blown differently in different ranges to play note "in tune"; etc etc

Everyone has their own problems & dificulties, that may not be obvious at first :)

Don't judge "difficulty" by the number of strings. A violin only has four strings too.

Do you think this is would be easy?

Or this?

Difficulty of learning an instrument can have as much to do with the person learning as it has to do with the instrument. Some folk can master one particular instrument but never get on with another - there is no "rule" to it. Sure there is a physical complexity to an organist playing one keyboard manual with each of his hands plus another manual with his feet, but for many people even just producing the first note from a new instrument can be the hardest thing for them. Any stringed instrument without frets has the aditional problem of having to intonate each note as they are played; brass instruments may need to be blown differently in different ranges to play note "in tune"; etc etc

Everyone has their own problems & dificulties, that may not be obvious at first :)

Yeh thats true, as I say they are all hard when you get past the initial beginning stage if you wanna be great, also I know of someone who spent weeks trying to get their first note from blowing a flute, yet stringed instruments you get something straight away.

Good post my man.

I have to agree with the violin too. I used to play it (well attempt to play it:D ) when I was younger and it's so damn hard. Holding the bow in the particular way you have to really makes your fingers ache. Also your arms are constantly up in the air which can be uncomfortable for long periods. It's like torture! :o

I have to agree with the violin too. I used to play it (well attempt to play it:D ) when I was younger and it's so damn hard. Holding the bow in the particular way you have to really makes your fingers ache. Also your arms are constantly up in the air which can be uncomfortable for long periods. It's like torture! :o

I think they suffer from strains than any other musician.

Someone once said the guitar is easy to play, hard to master. You can learn to bang out a few basic chords within a week but getting really good takes dedication and time, like anything worthwhile.

Instruments I'd love to try: drums, mandolin, lute and flute

Missytoot, I bowl and play tennis with my left hand but bat (only did it once, and don't want to repeat the experience!) with my right. I can't take credit for the "His Royal Bassness" appelation for Chris Squire - I think that was someone over at the YesFans forum who came up with that. HRB, for short.

The current line-up of Yes is currently in the studio recording a new album, that's bloody interesting (to me, anyway). I quoth from Wikipedia: On 29 October 2010, Yes announced the signing of a worldwide recording deal with the Italian-based record label Frontiers Records. The band commenced recording a new album in Los Angeles with (with producer Trevor Horn) in October and November, 2010, and was scheduled for more studio work in January 2011. It will be the first new Yes album in a decade, anticipated for release before Summer 2011.

Me again: ay caramba, I hope Trevor Horn has changed his noisy production style from the 80's. That's how I got to know the band as a youngster, but I've grown to prefer the more organic and beautiful 70's incarnation.

The split with Jon sounds permanent, sadly. Leddy, what was he like as a front man when you saw Yes? Was he chatty, quiet, animated?

FireOpal,

>>>>>" Leddy, what was he like as a front man when you saw Yes? Was he chatty, quiet, animated?<<<<<<

You may want to ask that over on the Yes thread. See "Other Bands" Thread. I only say that because there was a little "discussion" going last night about forum guidelines.......your friend missy

P.S. If you re-post, I'll tell you my own Yes story. Here is all you need to know for now. At one point I was backstage with a legit pass and the band was hanging out, oh-----maybe 4 feet away. I'll explain what happened after that on the Yes thread if you are interested. :D

Check back here if you can to answer my question about open tuning, cause I'll bet you know the answer!....your friend missy :)

FireOpal,

>>>>>" Leddy, what was he like as a front man when you saw Yes? Was he chatty, quiet, animated?<<<<<<

You may want to ask that over on the Yes thread. See "Other Bands" Thread. I only say that because there was a little "discussion" going last night about forum guidelines.......your friend missy

P.S. If you re-post, I'll tell you my own Yes story. Here is all you need to know for now. At one point I was backstage with a legit pass and the band was hanging out, oh-----maybe 4 feet away. I'll explain what happened after that on the Yes thread if you are interested. :D

Check back here if you can to answer my question about open tuning, cause I'll bet you know the answer!....your friend missy :)

I wouldn't worry about off topic down here, the plebs up north do not come down this low in the forum, this thread props it all up.....tumbleweed passes by sometimes :)

Whats your question on open tunning ??

Fireopal Jon tends to chat abit in between songs, he is a very ethereal man ( think thats rt), oh and you have too Yes threads to go to, but one of them you might be shot at.

Yes the violinist is mind boggling and Jaco Pastorius has backed up Joni Mitchell. That's all I need to know. Which speaking of instruments do we all sort of agree probably the guitar is the easiest thing to get started on?

Okay, well what do you think about an artist that uses over 50 open tunings? How hard is that? First I had to look up what it even means.

<LI>Open Tuning - An open tuning is defined as one that forms a major chord when all the strings are played open (no strings fretted by the left hand). ---Over my head. Someone explain please. :)

Now I think this video is done in open tuning. It's just Joni and her guitar. From 1998, she still sounds so sweet to my ears.

The video states she is playing a Parker Fly Midi guitar in open C tuning. Easy, Medium, or Hard to do?.........missy

Wow, she gets alot of beautiful sound out of that guitar. Can the average person buy one of those?

Yes the violinist is mind boggling and Jaco Pastorius has backed up Joni Mitchell. That's all I need to know. Which speaking of instruments do we all sort of agree probably the guitar is the easiest thing to get started on?

Okay, well what do you think about an artist that uses over 50 open tunings? How hard is that? First I had to look up what it even means.

<LI>Open Tuning - An open tuning is defined as one that forms a major chord when all the strings are played open (no strings fretted by the left hand). ---Over my head. Someone explain please. :)

Now I think this video is done in open tuning. It's just Joni and her guitar. From 1998, she still sounds so sweet to my ears.

The video states she is playing a Parker Fly Midi guitar in open C tuning. Easy, Medium, or Hard to do?.........missy

Wow, she gets alot of beautiful sound out of that guitar. Can the average person buy one of those?

Not really agree, classical guitar is the hardest out of anything I have tried, would say any instrument that you dont need to blow etc is easier to start with, The piano I would say is the eaisest to start off with but not to master though.

Joni song was very nice, I would say it easyish to play, the thing with open tunings is that its easier to finger certain chords than in standard tuning.

PS let me revise this, I think its easier to play the guitar not very well and make a living than anyother instument :)

Joni is one of the inovators of open tunings, that's for sure. IIRC it has been said that her early polio illness weakened her so she began using open tunigs to make things easier on herself. Whatever - she's gone beyond it simply being a way of making things easier and uses them for the sound - open tunings can alow combinations of note that would be difficult, if not impossible in other tunings.

Really that's the point of open tunings - they give a different sound. Easier fingerings may be a side effect (though not always - loads of accoustic virtuosos will play in open tunings), but not the whole story. It's about the exploration of a different sonority.

Take The Rain Song as an example - on the one hand you can finger it it standard tuning, but on the other hand it won't have the same tone or ring to it. I doubt that Page would have written it had he begun it standard tuning. So sure, it's easy to play in the correct tuning, but that's not really (IMHO) the whole story.

:)

Joni is one of the inovators of open tunings, that's for sure. IIRC it has been said that her early polio illness weakened her so she began using open tunigs to make things easier on herself. Whatever - she's gone beyond it simply being a way of making things easier and uses them for the sound - open tunings can alow combinations of note that would be difficult, if not impossible in other tunings.

Really that's the point of open tunings - they give a different sound. Easier fingerings may be a side effect (though not always - loads of accoustic virtuosos will play in open tunings), but not the whole story. It's about the exploration of a different sonority.

Take The Rain Song as an example - on the one hand you can finger it it standard tuning, but on the other hand it won't have the same tone or ring to it. I doubt that Page would have written it had he begun it standard tuning. So sure, it's easy to play in the correct tuning, but that's not really (IMHO) the whole story.

Yes very true, music isn't about how hard or easy something is, its how its played and as you say the voicings which in open tunings can give beautiful effects. have to say i do like the Joni track Missy, thanks as have opened my eyes to her. I know Zep were great fans but must confess I have never really sort her out.

huw, thank-you for your thoughts and explanation! I knew someone out there must appreciate the beauty and genius of Joni Mitchell. Also, I've read other musicians who admire her work and they can't get over how many different open tunings she uses and changes off to with every song. Not sure if that's the right way to word it.

But I never knew "The Rain Song" was done in open tuning. I don't know if my ears would be able to even tell the difference between open and standard, but I must tell you that's my favorite Zep tune! Ironic, don't you think? :D

Joni song was very nice, I would say it easyish to play, the thing with open tunings is that its easier to finger certain chords than in standard tuning

leddy, This is me when I read your comment >>> :( <<<

I see you revised it, but it's okay. I know not everyone likes her music. I'm quite biased, in fact over on Y/Tube my missytootsweet channel page has a lot of Joni video's!

You know what? I just checked the "search" feature and no one has even ever started a Joni thread?! Very surprised. I'm going to rectify that immediately.

leddy, go check please when I do the new topic and listen to the song I post. I'll keep the title a mystery for fun (you probably won't know it as Joni was NOT a top 40 chick and didn't care about that either).

The song I'm thinking of has 3 players, Guitars and Vocals: Joni Mitchell, Bass: Jaco Pastorius and Drums: John Guerin. That's it.........missy

...I knew someone out there must appreciate the beauty and genius of Joni Mitchell...

Hell yes!

Joni is a contender for the "best" (not very keen on that word), most influential (amongst musicians, even when she slipped off the public radar a bit), and most complete musical artist Nort America has produced. She's one of those artists who has transcended every genre that she has touched on. Hejira is my all time favourite LP by anyone.

My favourite quote about her music was when she said "..it's not jazz, but I use a lot of the same vocabulary...". I think that sums her up brilliantly. :)

huw, thank-you for your thoughts and explanation! I knew someone out there must appreciate the beauty and genius of Joni Mitchell. Also, I've read other musicians who admire her work and they can't get over how many different open tunings she uses and changes off to with every song. Not sure if that's the right way to word it.

But I never knew "The Rain Song" was done in open tuning. I don't know if my ears would be able to even tell the difference between open and standard, but I must tell you that's my favorite Zep tune! Ironic, don't you think? :D

leddy, This is me when I read your comment >>> :( <<<

I see you revised it, but it's okay. I know not everyone likes her music. I'm quite biased, in fact over on Y/Tube my missytootsweet channel page has a lot of Joni video's!

You know what? I just checked the "search" feature and no one has even ever started a Joni thread?! Very surprised. I'm going to rectify that immediately.

leddy, go check please when I do the new topic and listen to the song I post. I'll keep the title a mystery for fun (you probably won't know it as Joni was NOT a top 40 chick and didn't care about that either).

The song I'm thinking of has 3 players, Guitars and Vocals: Joni Mitchell, Bass: Jaco Pastorius and Drums: John Guerin. That's it.........missy

Why the frown face with my comments ?

Ha. I've been trying since I was eight years old. I figure a couple more decades and I'll have this guitar thing down cold :)

Thats the thing, you never stop learning, there just isn't enough time here on earth to learn it all though. :)

Archived