That "15 Albums" thing everyone's doing on Facebook

Levee

Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. Go.

Young Americans-David Bowie

Rubber Soul-The Beatles

Throwing Copper-Live

Let it Bleed-Rolling Stones

Blow By Blow -Jeff Beck

Songs in the Key of Life-Stevie Wonder

Achtung Baby-U2

All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes-Pete Townsend

Automatic For The People-REM

Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music-Ray Charles

Learning to Crawl-The Pretenders

Who's Next-The Who

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs-Derek And The Dominos

Moondance-Van Morrison

Excitable Boy-Warren Zevon

Wow, 15 is a lot to select,--and no Zeppelin? Okay, I'll have to do it from memory since all my albums are stored away in boxes! :)

In no particular order.......

1. Dark Side of The Moon (Pink Floyd)

2. Animals (Pink Floyd)

3. Trick of the Tail (Genesis)

4. Aja (Steely Dan)

5. Songs in The Key of Life (Stevie Wonder)

6. The Yes Album (Yes)

7. Close to the Edge (Yes)

8. Court and Spark (Joni Mitchell)

9. Hejira (Joni Mitchell)

10. Dog and Butterfly (Heart)

11. Aqualung (Jethro Tull)

12. Kaya (Bob Marley & The Wailers)

13. Zuma (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)

14. Tapestry (Carol King) Rumours Fleetwood Mac (forgot about this one!)

15. Off the Wall (Michael Jackson)**

**If I could add in Led Zep IV and Houses of the Holy and I'd be good to go! :)......................missy

Hey there Levee! Pretty interesting topic there! :D

In no particular order :

220px-AreyouexpUK.jpg

I first listened to this album when I was just 6 years old. I distinctly remember listening to the track "Purple Haze" in particular. I would describe this album as a sort of turning point in my life because this was the album which made me take quite a fancy to the "psychedelic rock" genre.

2. 220px-Queen_II.png

This album is one of Queen's most underrated and under-appreciated work of all time and this is by far my favourite concept album of all time. I first listened to this gem at the age 16. My dad who is a Queen fan himself, was never aware of the existence of this little beauty! I find this album very fascinating because of the songs relating to mythological elements coupled with songs like "The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke" which is indeed about Richard Dadd's painting! This album, to me, showcases Queen at their creative best!

3. 220px-Hellacopters_Super_alt.jpg

This album should be renamed "Super Explosive To The Max". I first heard this gem at University, one day, after classes, while I was browsing around the Music Library checking out the CD collection. I was already into the music of "The Hellacopters" by then (thanks to one of my friends on this very forum, who was nice enough to recommend this band to me in the first place! :D) and I was really happy to see one of their CDs at the Music Library at my University. After listening to the entire album, I just sat there in that listening room starring into space for a couple of seconds, not believing what I had just listened to! This to me was "The Hellacopters'" best offering! I also couldn't believe the fact that this album took just 25 hours to record! B)

4. 220px-Venus_Doom.jpg

This I guess, was the first ever "Gothic Rock" type album I ever listened to. I still listen to it quite frequently. To me, it is a very creative album in an exceptionally moody and eerie sort of way and the icing on the cake is pretty much the heavy and explosive guitar riffs! B)

5. 220px-EvFallencover01.jpg

Evanescence is one of the few "mainstream" artists I adore. This album was the first "Alternative Rock" album I remember listening to and suprisingly, I could actually relate to some of the songs on a very personal level and I was pretty taken aback when that happened!

6. 220px-TheDoorsTheDoorsalbumcover.jpg

I don't think you can blame me for including this beauty on my list, since, this gem contains tracks like "The End" and "Light My Fire". This, till date, remains my favourite album by "The Doors" :wub:

41mBhCAAwGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This album was my first exposure to the "Stoner Rock" genre. "Asteroid", to my knowledge, is a band which remains pretty underrated given the fact that quite a few people don't "get" their music or have never heard of them. This album was a bit of an addiction to start with and I listen to it even now whenever I'm in the mood! I'll never get tired of it! :D

8. 193709.jpg?cd

This is "Asteroid"'s second album and my favourite release for the year 2010. Again, very underrated stuff!

220px-Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg

My favourite album by "The Beatles" B)

10. bga1.jpg

This is the debut album of "The Baker Gurvitz Army". There is something about this album which sends chills down my spine! This was one of my dad's favourites while growing up and quite frankly, I can't blame him! ;)

bloodhorse-cover.jpg

This is the debut album by the band "Bloodhorse". This band (from what I've come across) is virtually unknown. This album is exceptionally loud with an eerie feel to it and I guess it's not for everyone but to my ears, it sounds absolutely divine and I literally found myself waiting with bated breath after the end of each song thinking "what the hell is this band gonna come up with next?!" B)

Well, that's my list. I do have other favourites and know that I was supposed to come up with 15 but this is it, as far as satisfying the criteria of "having a profound effect and changing the way I look at music and life, itself" was concerned! :)

In the order as I thought of them:

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel

The Moon & Antarctica- Modest Mouse

Being There- Wilco

Kid A- Radiohead

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan

Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine

Boys and Girls in America- The Hold Steady

Animals- Pink Floyd

In Violet Light- The Tragically Hip

Funeral- Arcade Fire

Roman Candle- Elliott Smith

August & Everything After- Counting Crows

Harvest- Neil Young

Doolittle- The Pixies

Headhunters- Herbie Hancock

In order of how I found them in my library...

At San Quentin- Johnny Cash

Blakroc- Blakroc

Check Your Head- Beasite Boys

Fear of a Black Planet- Public Enemy

In a Silent Way- Miles Davis

In the Court of the Crimson King- King Crimson

Kick Out the Jams- MC5

Live at the Star Club, Hamburg- Jerry Lee Lewis

Moanin'- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

My Arms Your Hearse- Opeth

Pet Sounds- The Beach Boys

Revolver- The Beatles

Songs for the Deaf- Queens of the Stone Age

Vanilla Fudge- Vanilla Fudge

What's Going On- Marvin Gaye

No album has changed my life, but these are the albums I played to death at some point that still remind me of a particular point in time (a few remain on my list of all time favorites)

Steely Dan, Aja

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

Neil Young, Live Rust

Heart, Greatest Hits Live

Queen, Live Killers

The Who, Quadrophenia

10,000 Maniacs, Blind Man's Zoo

The Cure, Standing on a Beach

Violent Femmes

The Doors

Sarah McLachlan, Surfacing

Journey, Escape

U2, War

The Scorpions, Love at First Sting

Dave Matthews Band, Under the Table and Dreaming

Thanks for playing along guys. I put the "No Zep if possible" because they would dominate my list, but anyone is welcome to do so.

I find your choices very interesting, and I'm already beating myself up for forgetting a few.It's not easy and some of the choices that would stay with you forever might not be on such great terms, it's really a thread about your history with music, with all it's up and downs.

If any one wants to do 5 or 10 or as many as 30, that's cool too.

Archived