The Delta Blues Museum

SteveAJones

Television Documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreatMuseums#p/u/22/ph-tZr_m-wk

SAJ notes:

In 1993 Robert Plant visited the museum .

On May 31, 1998 Jimmy Page and Robert Plant visited for two hours with the museum staff, arriving and departing together (with Robert driving).

In March 2005 Robert was seen in a local blues club conversing with actor Morgan Freeman's agent. Freeman participated in this documentary.

A fan who visited the museum in July 2007 was told Robert Plant had been there again "a few weeks ago".

Been there twice myself. I have a fond memory of driving south on Highway 61 when it was 98 degrees, with "Walking into Clarksdale" on the cd player. Small place....takes about 20 minutes to take the tour. Not nearly as interesting as Graceland or Sun Studios, but the local flavor is worth the trip. I'll say it again....it's not easy eating smoked pork when it's 100 degrees out. :blink:

• Administrators

Was there last July on an extensive blues trek. Agree with Bong-Man above, the museum itself isn't that exciting, but the local area and people we spent time with were great. Tutwiler, M.S. was also an amazing experience and highly recommended by RP.

post-5-0-45080700-1298912449_thumb.jpg post-5-0-01155700-1298912458_thumb.jpg

Tutwiler, M.S. was also an amazing experience and highly recommended by RP.

Outstanding! My notes show Robert drove from Nashville to Tutwiler in November 2006, where he played harmonica at the gravesite of Rice Miller a.k.a. Sonny Boy Williamson. The next day Robert was interviewed by David Fricke of Rolling Stone at a restaurant just south of the crossroads at Highway 49 and Route 61.

• Administrators

Sonny Boy Williamson's grave is a interesting place to visit too, a bit hidden though if you're trying to find it. Jimmy and Robert also visited there together.

post-5-0-10171900-1298977662_thumb.jpg

Mississippi Blues Trail Marker dedication honoring W.C. Handy - RP Video Interview & Photos

robertplant.com/index.php/news/mississippi-blues-trail-marker-dedication-honoring-wc-handy-rp-interview/

Mississippi Blues Trail Marker dedication honoring W.C. Handy and the town of Tutwiler. Robert Plant talks about how the blues of Sonny Boy Williamson affected his life and career.

Television Documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreatMuseums#p/u/22/ph-tZr_m-wk

SAJ notes:

In 1993 Robert Plant visited the museum .

On May 31, 1998 Jimmy Page and Robert Plant visited for two hours with the museum staff, arriving and departing together (with Robert driving).

In March 2005 Robert was seen in a local blues club conversing with actor Morgan Freeman's agent. Freeman participated in this documentary.

A fan who visited the museum in July 2007 was told Robert Plant had been there again "a few weeks ago".

Was that me, or was someone else told the same thing? :D

Some of the museum staff also told me about the earlier visits in the Walking into Clarksdale era, when Jimmy accompanied Robert. They said Jimmy seemed very quiet and shy compared to Robert. :lol: They had a lot of good things to say about both of them, especially Robert, who apparently continues (or did then, anyway) to support the museum.

Archived