Led Zeppelin tribute band guitarist's collection stolen

Led Zeppelin tribute band guitarist's collection stolen

Mr Curran's twin neck guitar was similar to one played by Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page _51999726_jimmypage_getty_304.jpg

Thieves have stolen guitars worth £6,500 from the home of a Led Zeppelin tribute band guitarist.

The haul, from a house in Broughty Ferry, included a £2,500 cherry red Gibson twin neck guitar, two Gibson Les Pauls and a black Fender Stratocaster.

John Curran, 47, guitarist with Levee Breakers, said he discovered the thefts on returning home from a party.

The thieves also made off with laptops, a camera and Mr Curran's Vauxhall Astra car, before abandoning the vehicle.

Tayside Police said the theft, from a house in Dornoch Place, happened some time between 2000 BST on Saturday 2 April and 1225 BST on Sunday 3 April.

Mr Curran said: "I'm gutted.

"I'd been at a 21st birthday party for my niece, and we came home to find the car missing and the gates open.

"When I got inside I found the guitars gone too."

Mr Curran said the twin neck Gibson was the same kind of guitar Led Zepplin's Jimmy Page used to play the song Stairway to Heaven.

He added: "I use it when we play the number."

Tayside Police said the stolen car was discovered in Reres Road.

A Sony Vaio laptop, an Acer laptop and a Fuji Finepix digital camera were also among the items stolen from the property.

Anyone with information about the theft, or who remembers seeing anyone acting suspiciously in the area, is urged to contact police.

My mate in Vancouver had his signature Jimmy Page guitar signed in real life by Jimmy at the Page and Plant show there in 1998. Jimmy was initially reluctant, as he is wary of these things being sold on for profit, but he did it for a friend. Less than a year later the guy had all his guitars stolen from his apartment. It sucks to think someone will have made profit from it after all.

Hope this guy has better luck in getting at least some of his back.

Archived