Contrasting the new and the old

TypeO

The amusing thing is the total faith she seems to have in the artistic superiority in the rock of the late 60's and early 70's, don't get me wrong I enjoy it a great deal but its just as open to closed minded criticism as much of what she aims at. You'd think this thread would have pleased her aswell given that its based on music with clear influence from that era but seemingly not...

Wow, you nailed it.

I mean, I didn't start this topic for her specifically, but that was pretty much the exact idea I had when I started it - to illustrate the roots/relationships, and the whole "the more things change, the more they remain the same" perspective.

I'm a 70s child, that was my decade.

I rocked the music hard and constantly.

But there's only so many times I can keep listening to the same old stuff.

But hearing new songs that give a tip-of-the-hat here, a nod there, to the classics, I get the satisfaction of recalling the old stuff, while not being bored to death hearing music that I've heard so many times that it is literally seared into my synapses note for note.

I guess that's how my mind operates - I listen for clues to determine what, if any, influences came into play in the creation of a particular song.

And with a memory - database, if you will - that has listened to many different songs and artists for so many years to draw from, I often have an insight and perspective on a song that a 20 year-old wouldn't have, simply because they had never heard, or possibly even heard of a particular band that existed in the 70s.

At least it makes it more fun, and allows me to have an open mind.

Next post, back to the business of this thread - lot of examples I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

Keep 'em comin'.

Wow, you nailed it.

I mean, I didn't start this topic for her specifically, but that was pretty much the exact idea I had when I started it - to illustrate the roots/relationships, and the whole "the more things change, the more they remain the same" perspective.

I think this thread shows the real problem isnt a dislike of a style of music but rather a desire to believe music from her "era" is superior, thats ignoring the hints at racism and homophobia that keep appearing.

Old Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

New The Stone Roses - Tears

I'm supprized Zep fans have never really picked up on the Second Coming, obviously Browns vocals are very different to what you'd expect from Zep but I don't think I'v ever heard a better reworking of there material. I keep expecting someone like David Coverdale to release and album covering half of it to cash in.

simply move on.

You know, if that was the only post from you like that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But it's a constant theme with you, and your first post in this thread was like a continuation of the bullshit from the locked thread, which was about as desirable as the proverbial turd in the punchbowl.

Sorry, no apologies for all that "big word" use-ification. For me, it's more fun than cursing.

As for the name-calling, it isn't all that often, and at least it's fairly clever.

You could take your own advise and simply move on. But they say cursing is quite good for you.

You could take your own advise and simply move on. But they say cursing is quite good for you.

Ahh, so you're a "last word freak" as well.

How totally unexpected.

Alllllll-righty then, go right ahead.

Have at it.

Especially if it will help you shut the fuck up and find somewhere else to troll.

But they say cursing is quite good for you.

Was it as good for you as it was for me? tongue0007.gif

2 great examples of "Motorik":

First, from Neu!'s 1972 debut album, "Hallogallo":

Second, from Stereolab's 1993 album "Transient Random-Noise Bursts...", the 18 minute "Jenny Ondioline", which obviously can't fit in one youtube video:

Archived