Jimmy Page really retired?

Black-Dog

The Show of Peace concert completely puzzles me! I thought that this would be the forum in which Jimmy would launch his new material and kick off touring. The concert was at first postponed, then scuttled altogether, does anyone know why?

Organizer Rick Garson has unsuccessfully attempted to put on a massive peace concert for over ten years now. The Show of Peace in Beijing was just his latest failure in that endeavor. The event was doomed when he was unable to get any big name

artists aside from Jimmy Page to commit their involvement.

Even if the Show of Peace had gone ahead it's extremely unlikely Jimmy would have kicked off touring afterward as he didn't even have a band at the time. In typical Garson style, it was never even made crystal clear if Jimmy would be performing at the Show of Peace at all or merely making an appearance onstage for perhaps a speech and/or an introduction of an artist.

To my ears "Embryo 2" (from 1:25-1:45 in this video clip) sounds similar to "Oh Well"

Ach, that's what they said about "Black Dog." And when "Oh Well" was released, I'm sure it recalled something else - it's the chain link, the tradition of music. Have you ever seen that program "John Lennon's Jukebox"? They (I think it was done by Granada television back in the 90's but also shown on PBS in America a few times) looked at the records on a jukebox owned by John Lennon in 1965. There were interviews with many of the songwriters of those records, including Jon Sebastian, who explained how he wrote the compelling riff of "Summer in the City" based on the ascending riff in Martha & the Vandellas "Heat Wave". Long story short: most songs lean heavily on other songs for their existence.

Sorry for the long digression, I just wanted to point out that it's always been this way. Most songs are not brand new creations, they've been inspired by what's gone before. Remember at the O2 show when Robert introduced "Trampled Underfoot" by explaining it was inspired by Robert Johnson's Terraplane Blues but, Robert said rather pointedly, "I don't know where he got it from" or words to that effect.

I did like the Death Wish album, the ARMS concerts, and the Firm, which was born out of those ARMS concerts. When he reunited with Plant, though amazing, it seemed to take the wind out his sails after that project disbanded. Walking into Clarksdale was perhaps the most disappointing of the post-Zeppelin efforts.

I know that Jimmy had been hinting about this new solo record even as far back as '06. Perhaps if Jimmy could just play 10-15 dates and stretch the legs out with some old material and whatever new material is available that activity could revive the project? Look at Jeff Beck.

The Show of Peace concert completely puzzles me! I thought that this would be the forum in which Jimmy would launch his new material and kick off touring. The concert was at first postponed, then scuttled altogether, does anyone know why?

A big welcome to the forum e-man!

Archived