Jimmy Page really retired?

Black-Dog

Hi,

do you guys think that Jimmy is now really retired and won't do a tour or an album? It seems so, because since years he says that he will do a album with a tour. My biggest question is, why did he say every year that he will do a album with a tour and then there is nothing??? He could say "I'm retired....." and good is it. I can't understand him.

Hi,

do you guys think that Jimmy is now really retired and won't do a tour or an album? It seems so, because since years he says that he will do a album with a tour. My biggest question is, why did he say every year that he will do a album with a tour and then there is nothing??? He could say "I'm retired....." and good is it. I can't understand him.

retired defined: withdrawn from one's position or occupation: having concluded one's working or professional career

First of all, I don't think "retired" is the best word to use with regard to Jimmy, musicians or artists in general. When I think "retired" I imagine the letter carrier who will never delivery mail again, the doctor who will never perform surgery again, the grocer who sells his grocery store and moves to a warmer climate. In each of these examples retired status infers finality. It's possible he feels the same way. Arguably, all it really takes for a musican to dispell retired status is to compose or perform music, which can be pre-planned or on a whim.

Secondly, and correct me if I'm wrong, after his pairing with The Black Crowes he never once actually said he will release an album or embark upon a tour. That was media spin and speculation. Oh sure, he has alluded to being "desperate to be playing" and other such generalities that don't hold up under even minimal scrutiny. Perhaps if his best possible prospect - the post-02 project w/Jones and Bonham - amounted to something viable this thread wouldn't exist.

To anwser your question, I certainly don't expect an album nor a tour this year or in the future.

retired defined: withdrawn from one's position or occupation: having concluded one's working or professional career

To anwser your question, I certainly don't expect an album nor a tour this year or in the future.

Jimmy is all over.

This is from the issue of Mojo magazine from late last year where It Might Get Loud was named DVD of the year:

So 2011 is the year for new music?

Yes, it's got to be. The other thing I've been working on is a website [jimmypage.com] It will take 'til Christmas to sort it out. It will be up early next year.

Will this be a solo outing or will you work with other musicans?

Other musicans. I can't say who I'll be working with yet, but it will be quite varied.

On the Homepage is nothing. Quote: "It will be up early next year". Now it is May! And the year of music wasn't until now. There will be nothing.

2011 isn't over yet. Yes, his track record (just how long has he been promising a new album now?) isn't great when it comes to this but I wouldn't start the bitching in earnest until 2011 is actually over.

Reality check. Never say never but here's the odds of a new Jimmy Page album and tour...

Jimmy Page: Ten Years Gone (2001-2010):

Concert length performances: 1

Studio Albums: 0

Singles: 0

Jimmy Page: Twenty Years Gone (1990-2010):

Concert length performances without Robert Plant: 24

Studio Albums without Robert Plant:: 1

Singles without Robert Plant:: 2

I would say retired, often seen around the west end, just living a life of an OAP (rich one of course :D ) But, he does have Zeppelin interests, a business like that will never be short of sales, and does demand attention. I bet he would love to be playing just pubs around London with part time bands, just for fun on a Friday / saturday night, without drawing attention.

You know, I am okay with my Grandparents retiring, but not Jimmy Page. Although he does deserve time away from what he does, I just can't seem to understand why. Well, I guess I can stop kidding myself now.

On the topic of new music etc. for 2011:

Is it safe to call Jimmy a liar? or a wishful thinker?

I keep wondering what he's doing and what's he's preparing. I don't believe Jimmy is a liar. I can tell he wants to play. I think he will play until he can't anymore and I hope that's not for a long time.

Short answer is no, I don't think he's "retired". He's been talking too much about new music for me to believe that he doesn't mean it. His intention is not to retire in my opinion.

However, something occurred to me recently. Robert has always seemed to use Zeppelin-related activity to promote his solo stuff, as happened with the O2 and Raising Sand. Maybe I shouldn't say it like that because I don't know that it's always calculated, but it does seem to work out that way.

On the other hand, it seems that when Zep-related activity comes up for Jimmy, he drops everything else. Knowing that they are currently (apparently) working on the O2 DVD, I'm thinking he may have shelved his own new music for a while. And that would be a shame if it's true. For once I'd like to see Jimmy capitalize on the O2 DVD buzz to launch his website and release new music. I can dream, can't I?

I also really hope he takes up the Flaming Lips on their invitation. I think that would be really cool. And it could happen because Wayne Coyne seems determined to work with Jimmy, and patient about it too. Funny that this recent (from last week) interview with Coyne ironically refers to luring Jimmy out of "retirement":

ESQ: Speaking of old guys, who are you gonna lure out of retirement first for your first collaboration in this distribution project, James Murphy or Jimmy Page?

WC: Dude, I'm hoping both of 'em. I talked to James a couple times last summer as we toured around about doing a collaboration, and I knew that he had planned on doing this breakup of LCD Soundsystem because I think he just wants to go do his thing without worry about some legacy. And I don't know what will happen with Jimmy Page. I hope that he's amicable and freaky enough to say, "Yeah! Fuck! I'll do something with those guys!"

ESQ: Well if he'll do something with P-Diddy, or whatever he calls himself these days, Page had better do it with you guys.

WC: Jimmy Page is a texter. So I'm thinking he'll probably text me and say, "I'm not interested" or "This is cool."

ESQ: Would you want to do old Zeppelin stuff?

WC: No, that wouldn't work. What we're gonna ask him to do is these soundtracks. We're gonna do something with Panda Bear, too. But I think Jimmy Page will be like these other people who are just interested in interesting things and say, "Sure. Let's see what happens."

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/flaming-lips-gummy-skulls-5708954#ixzz1MfNQFbc1

However, something occurred to me recently. Robert has always seemed to use Zeppelin-related activity to promote his solo stuff, as happened with the O2 and Raising Sand.

I don't recall a single instance of Plant using anything Zeppelin-related to promote any of his solo stuff. What, was he holding up copies of Raising Sand onstage at the 02 in order to promote it? Plans for that album and the tour that followed were done well before the 02 concert even became a reality.

Is it safe to call Jimmy a liar? or a wishful thinker?

I think it's more accurate to call him non-committal. He hasn't actually promised to do anything and when speaking of what he might like to do he caveats it with "my intentions are...", "...hopefully..." "...I am desperate to be playing but..."

And... I guess... I've read somewhere that he had problem with his hands due to the age... arthritis? It's only speculation but, could that fact make him avoid to play live?

I have serious doubts about that theory because, A) he played well at the O2, and B) he was more than willing to tour the world afterwards.

It's possible that he just really really really wants to play with Zep, and short of that he's not willing to commit to the hard work of restarting a solo career.

I don't recall a single instance of Plant using anything Zeppelin-related to promote any of his solo stuff. What, was he holding up copies of Raising Sand onstage at the 02 in order to promote it? Plans for that album and the tour that followed were done well before the 02 concert even became a reality.

You cut out the part when I said I don't necessarily think it's calculated.

The Atlantic Zep show created a lot of buzz when Now and Zen was new and his tour was starting. Same with O2 and Raising Sand. Again, not criticizing him, just saying it would be nice to see Jimmy do the same thing for a change...

Archived