Jimmy Page really retired?

Black-Dog

Sorry, but that's a pipe dream. Won't happen.

Steve, you seem to know more about what Jimmy's up to than most around here, and you seem pretty convinced that he's done. Or maybe you're just a pessimist.

My question is this; why get new management and launch a new website and talk about surprising people with new music if you're done? Makes no sense to me.

Steve, you seem to know more about what Jimmy's up to than most around here, and you seem pretty convinced that he's done. Or maybe you're just a pessimist.

My question is this; why get new management and launch a new website and talk about surprising people with new music if you're done? Makes no sense to me.

Doesn't make any sense to me either.

He's contributing to a new book by Guitar World editor Brad Tolinski and overseeing the release of the Led Zeppelin 02 dvd.

Curious how that little phrase has different connotations.

Obviously is implies the Ahmet Tribute at the O2 venue plus it could be construed as the second installment or, if you will, version of the band.

The silence is deafening as usual regarding anything new on the horizon yet we are still in the first half of the year so it's a bit early to be writing him off completely.

I'm pretty sure that if in fact he were to retire we would hear about it here first?

The website is a puzzle though no further updates on the page.

Maybe Sam could shed some light on the web site's status?

I'm guessing the web page will probably debut when the DVD release date is announced and if it is slated for a December release that will probably be around September.

There is also a strong possibility that he has already started recording material and it's feasible that it's being kept secret until such times as he is satisfied with the finished product.

Who knows he may announce something at the same time regarding a new album?

If he does happen to have material recorded he may well want to tour it, perhaps around the time of the Olympics as I'm sure he'll feature somewhere in some shape or form as part of the opening and / or closing ceremonies.

Anyway, I reckon no news is generally good news

You cut out the part when I said I don't necessarily think it's calculated.

That wasn't an attempt to censor you or to alter your statement, I was merely addressing that particular part of your post. Plus, others have also assumed Plant has used moments when Zeppelin had a moment in the sun to promote something of his own. I simply don't buy into that. It's just more of the Plant bashing mentality that seems to be so prevalent around here among some factions and has absolutely no basis in fact.

The silence is deafening as usual regarding anything new on the horizon yet we are still in the first half of the year so it's a bit early to be writing him off completely.

I'm pretty sure that if in fact he were to retire we would hear about it here first?

I think people are getting the impression that he's retired from something I saw in another thread here where someone wrote to Ross Halfin and he said Page was "retired". Maybe I'm wrong but that's the only place I've read it.

There is also a strong possibility that he has already started recording material and it's feasible that it's being kept secret until such times as he is satisfied with the finished product.

Who knows but from what I've read, this new album has been in the works for a number of years now. I posted an article here (perhaps even on the old board) from Rolling Stone saying that on his next record he would be using a different guitar on each track.

I just don't know what to think. I wouldn't blame the guy if he were to retire from touring and making albums. After all, he is 67 and has worked most of his life. But he does say every year, that he has been working on music. I am just happy that he is getting the O2 dvd out and that his book should be here soon.

Well, as far as I'm concerned with the exception of the 02 event and the ill-fated side project that followed he's essentally been done for over 10 years. It's been nearly 25 years since he recorded his one and only solo album. He has freely admitted he's never had the level of ambition necessary to sustain a proper solo career. That's why I posted the statistical reality check earlier,

because if you take Robert Plant and Led Zeppelin out of the equation his post-1980 output is astonishingly sparse. Having said

all that, I am very much a pessimist, so just because there's now tentative talk of his doing something in the Autumn I don't get too excited over it. Show me the money, or more importantly show me the bandmates, the confirmed itinerary and the purpose of it all.

New management and a new website? Oh, big deal. He's gone thru a number of management changes in the post-Zeppelin era.

I should think after the Show of Peace fiasco a change of managment became obligatory. Sometimes websites are launched just to promote merchandising and little else. If that site was meaningful don't you think it'd be viable and a going concen by now? It's

probably just a cookie cutter contractual obligation under the terms of the new management deal.

If he can get the 02 dvd released this year you can bet he'll be saddled with the majority of the global press and promotion duties, and I should think given it will probably be the last significant official Led Zeppelin release in his lifetime he'll want to devote his full attention to it. If your choice was doing that or strumming Embryo 1 at Newcastle City Hall, which would you focus on?

My gut tells me he is working on a new release that will include alot of different personel of old friends and new and it is just being kept under the covers to avoid media blitz and fan speculation. You would be surprised at what can be done legally to avoid any leaks. Besides, with Jimmy it was always a waiting game. I just dont see him going out this way without making a really good final musical statement to be remembered by. As far as a tour goes my gut tells me that is highly unlikely. Just my opinion of course but hey you never know......

Curious how that little phrase has different connotations. Obviously is implies the Ahmet Tribute at the O2 venue plus it could be construed as the second installment or, if you will, version of the band.

If he does happen to have material recorded he may well want to tour it, perhaps around the time of the Olympics as I'm sure he'll feature somewhere in some shape or form as part of the opening and / or closing ceremonies.

IMHO it should not be construed as a second installment or new version of the band at all - it's the grand finale. CODA MAXIMUS

Funny thing about 2012 - it's the 50th Anniversary of The Rolling Stones and although Mick is working on a solo album at present

if he can get them all on board for one more massive globe trot it'll dwarf The Olympics and anything else happening in the music world at the time. Demographics! The Baby Boomers...

If he can get the 02 dvd released this year you can bet he'll be saddled with the majority of the global press and promotion duties, and I should think given it will probably be the last significant official Led Zeppelin release in his lifetime he'll want to devote his full attention to it. If your choice was doing that or strumming Embryo 1 at Newcastle City Hall, which would you focus on?

If...arghhhhh....why says my brain that the dvd won't be released? :slapface: Sorry for all, but i can't believe it, because there were no informations about the dvd anywhere. But maybe, and i really hope, that i am wrong with my thinking.

I am just happy that he is getting the O2 dvd out and that his book should be here soon.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an 02 DVD just yet as it still hasn't been made official. And by "official" I mean an actual press release.

He's contributing to a new book by Guitar World editor Brad Tolinski and overseeing the release of the Led Zeppelin 02 dvd.

Well, while I wait to hear if he may or may not release the O2 dvd before he dies and if he may or may not record himself playing some sort of music on a six string instrument and have it released it to the general public before I die: What are his contributions to this book? Is he going to give advice to fellow musicians on the proper techniques of driving their fans bat shit crazy?

I don't really care if he's retired or not. I don't want him to leave this life without me seeing him for once live. He's the incarnation of a god. If he's not going on a world tour (including Romania) i'll kill him XD. The new generation needs to feel his influence on their very skin. If he doesn't make himself know among the youth his legacy will die in vain. It would be a sin to miss such a great musician.

Here's a new, rather specific quote from Jimmy about his plans this year:

Led Zep icon Jimmy Page has vowed to finally release new music this year.

The guitarist, 67, told me: “I’ve been waiting to launch it on a new website. I’ve never had a website. Now it’s ready.”

Here's the article, it's a blog from the Ivor Novello Awards:

My link

Doesn't sound like a guy who's attached to his couch to me.

Here's a new, rather specific quote from Jimmy about his plans this year:

Here's the article, it's a blog from the Ivor Novello Awards:

My link

Doesn't sound like a guy who's attached to his couch to me.

Kudos on putting the quote in proper context insofar as where and when. Jimmy still sounds vauge & non-committal to me but then I've freely admitted I am a pessimist.

Kudos on putting the quote in proper context insofar as where and when. Jimmy still sounds vauge & non-committal to me but then I've freely admitted I am a pessimist.

Actions speak louder than words, so I understand the pessimism. On the other hand, I refuse to believe he'd be talking so specifically about new music, website, management, etc. without a good reason for it. There's no need to bluff anyone, he's Jimmy Page and his musical legacy is secure.

Time will tell!

Ever since the reunion show of 07 I have been eagerly awaiting a return to performing by Jimmy. I have followed the news for the past three years and at first was very encouraged by all of the activity from Jimmy and the band. Now it is almost half way through 2011 and after 2-3 years of promises to record and tour nothing has materialized. Jimmy did do the book which cost upwards of $700 and a limited number of copies. In my opinion that was a mistake, I think that Jimmy should have capitalized on the success of the reunion and the It Might Get Loud documentary. Now that momentum has run its course and to generate enthusiasm for a new project will be more difficult. I sure hope that Jimmy does go through with the project, if he doesn't I understand, I would love to hear new material and see him live once again. The material from the It Might Get Loud documentary was very promising.

I will be seeing the Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience next week and saw Them Crooked Vultures in 09, to see Jimmy would make it much more complete.

Steve, it does sound a bit like "Oh Well" and also a bit like "Domino" (performed at NetAid in 1999) and also like the unreleased studio instrumental by Led Zeppelin, "Swan Song". You think so?

Steve, it does sound a bit like "Oh Well" and also a bit like "Domino" (performed at NetAid in 1999) and also like the unreleased studio instrumental by Led Zeppelin, "Swan Song". You think so?

Yes, similarities to Domino as well, a song which evolved from instrumental rehearsal sessions with Michael Lee in Summer 1999. In fact, whomever posted it to You Tube seems convinced Embryo 2 is actually little more than a further evolution of Domino. To my ears I do hear bits and pieces of Midnight Moonlight in Domino.

I did like the Death Wish album, the ARMS concerts, and the Firm, which was born out of those ARMS concerts. When he reunited with Plant, though amazing, it seemed to take the wind out his sails after that project disbanded. Walking into Clarksdale was perhaps the most disappointing of the post-Zeppelin efforts.

I know that Jimmy had been hinting about this new solo record even as far back as '06. Perhaps if Jimmy could just play 10-15 dates and stretch the legs out with some old material and whatever new material is available that activity could revive the project? Look at Jeff Beck.

The Show of Peace concert completely puzzles me! I thought that this would be the forum in which Jimmy would launch his new material and kick off touring. The concert was at first postponed, then scuttled altogether, does anyone know why?

Archived