Radio Makes People 'Happier' Than TV or Internet, New Study Finds

Jahfin

From TheHuffingtonPost.com:

r-RADIO-large570.jpg

Perhaps the future of media lies in a retreat to the past.

A new study commissioned in the U.K. by the Radio Advertising Bureau concluded that listening to the radio makes people happier than watching TV or surfing the Internet.

1,000 Britons participated in the study, using their smartphones to respond to questions about their media consumption and emotional responses at various times of the day.

To read the rest of the article click here.

Thanks for posting this. I loved the show growing up.

I agree that music causes feelings of happiness but I am a very visual person. I guess it goes back to my MTV days in middle school, watching videos for the enjoyment of the visual experience as well as the music.

Unless you have no say regarding the radio station you're forced to listen to all day at work - then it can be torture! :slapface:

This is so true. If I could change just one thing about where I work it'd be to have the radio turned off, or at least turned down to a level where I'm not as distracted by it.

• 5 weeks later...

what about Radio on the Internet? How does the study account for this? I am really happy listening to radio on the Internet, it opens a window to the world. My father was obsessed with shortwave radio, if he had lived to see Radio stations broadcasting online he'd be thrilled.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Blade%2BBook%2Bfor%2Bblog.jpg

What is a guy to do when he has been a rock DJ his whole career and all of a sudden he is asked to stay on while his legendary rock station is turned to a country music format? He could stay on and "play the game and be taken care of for life". Most would. Bob "the Blade" Robinson resigned, but he didn't resign by walking into anyone's office or leaving a letter of resignation in someone's mail slot. What he did got him banned from the company for life. It's a long way to the top and most never get there. This man had a lot of fun trying. Fun that almost got him killed.

For those unfamiliar with the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) radio scene, Bob "The Blade" Robinson has been a fixture on several rock n' roll radio stations since the 80's (and WHSL in Wilmington prior to that). A few years ago he stayed on at WRDU even after they switched from an AOR format to Country. Then, one day he put on "The Song Is Over" by the Who and walked out of the station. More recently he was part of the staff at 96 Rock in Raleigh that was let go when they fired every single one of their announcers in favor of a DJ-less format. All of them were fired without any sort of notice or advance warning (which is usually how it happens in the radio business).

Here's a newspaper clipping from The Blade's blog about the WRDU incident. He also has a blog specifically for the book here.

thesongisover003.jpg

T be honest I don't really listen to the radio very much, Radio City is absolute shit, Radio Merseyside is nearly all talking, except Billy Butler his show is excellent, Rock FM God knows who named that station, every time I put it on to see if they have a decent tune playing it's usually garbage..... I mean for fucks sake how long has Kylie Miogue been a rock singer? So I generally just play my own collection.

Archived