Tailor Who Made Jimmy's Suit For 02

kenog

This is short article from East Sussex County Publications about the tailor who made JPP's suit for the O2.

Tailor-made star quality

East Sussex County Publications (England) - Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A bespoke tailor made sure one

of rock 'n' roll's biggest superstars

cut a dash during his band's

reunion show in London last night.

Gresham Blake, of Bond Street,

Brighton, kitted out Led Zeppelin guitar

hero Jimmy Page for the band's one-off

show at the 02 Arena.

Ageing rockers are often lampooned

for their Peter Pan wardrobes which

often bring their receding hairlines and

bulging waistlines into sharp relief.

Status Quo famed for their slim-fit

denims, leather waistcoats and dodgy

pony tails are among the worst offenders,

but the list of culprits is endless.

Eager to look the part, 63-year-old

Page hired the services of Blake who

has made suits for numerous celebs,

including Chris Evans, Steve Coogan

and U2 guitarist The Edge.

Page opted for a black mohair, threepiece

suit.

Mr Blake said: "He was an absolute

gentlemen. I mean really, genuinely so,

which is quite unusual for someone of

his fame and stature. And he listens to

everything you say.

"I don't know whether he is the most

famous person I have ever made a suit

for, but in terms of his output he is

certainly the most impressive."

Blake, 37, has just opened an appointments

only sales room in Mayfair.

He has also been making forays

into the world of corporate wear,

designing outfits for executives and

club class stewards and hostesses at

Virgin Atlantic. Caption: Celebrity tailor Gresham Blake

Very cool article.

I wonder if he makes women's clothing?

Hi MissMelanie,

Quite a few of the London bespoke tailors do women's tailoring, but it carries a price tag of, say, £1,500 to £3,000 for a suit. Added to that, there is lengthy wait due to the way the garment is constructed in made- to-measure. Still, if you have the cash .....:D

Hi MissMelanie,

Quite a few of the London bespoke tailors do women's tailoring, but it carries a price tag of, say, £1,500 to £3,000 for a suit. Added to that, there is lengthy wait due to the way the garment is constructed in made- to-measure. Still, if you have the cash .....:D

1,500-3,000 pounds?! Each?!! faint1.gif

Well, I will just put it on Jimmy's tab. Let him pay for it. biggrin.gifrun.gif

I wished clothing returned to the 70's I wanna go around in a dragon suit and hermit suit.

And everyone else going around with afro's and denim clothing not Adidas.

In one topic or the other over the years I recall someone jokingly asking if perhaps Jimmy had dragon pajamas. I can't help but stay curious about it blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MissMelanie,

A bespoke suit is a different proposition to "made-to-measure" suit, which is a distinction that most people are oblivious to.

A made-to-measure suit is typically made off a standard "block" pattern (style and cut), from which a "tailor" can then made limited (within the parameters of the block) fitting adjustments to compensate for the person's physical structure. A trend for modern "tailors" (ahem) is to offer "laser cut" suits, which is a development on the "made-to-measure" suit, which substantially scales down the physical involvement of a tailor and thus reducing costs.

A Bespoke suit is where the tailor makes a suit unique to the person, based purely on measurements taken by the tailor and the cloth is hand cut and stitched by a tailor (the person who makes the suit). You can take it a stage further (with additional cost), when a bespoke suit is "hand canvassed" but the number of tailors who are properly trained with this capability is in the minority. There is nothing like a bespoke, hand canvassed suit, it fits like a glove and feels incredible. I had a suit made like this in Dormeuil Super Ambassador 180's wool; a wool so fine anyone who touched it thought it was silk.

Another point worth making is the tailor whose company carries his/her name will seldom make the suit itself, they will normally act as a figure head, take all the measurements and supervise the fittings (usually three for a bespoke suit), making guide adjustments on the cloth using chalk and pins, which he/she then passes on to the tailor who is making the suit to implement.

Cheers,

Indi.

A bespoke suit is a different proposition to "made-to-measure" suit, which is a distinction that most people are oblivious to.

Cheers,

Indi.

Thanks Indi :). It was a slip up on my part - trying to give a quick answer to MissMelanie. I do know the difference between the two - and the different cost structures!! I understand that some of the very traditional firms like Anderson and Sheppard will still not do bespoke suits for women.

Edit:- It occurred to me that the last time I enquired about shirt-making in London, I got the impression that some of the newer firms were moving onto this 'standard shirt block/laser cut' method. I won't mention any names, but they were offering to make just one shirt, whereas before, you were obliged to place a minimum order for six.:) Best wishes.

Archived