The Clash thread

Zeppelin Led

Sandinista's fine as long as you have a big bag of weed.

The Clash sold out with London Calling.

Hahahaha no way man. Thats a ridiculous thing to say, London Calling is one of the greatest ever imo. The band simply evolved and wanted to try out different styles.

More that they had to change their music to crack the USA. Don't forget, the USA's idea of new wave (and possibly punk too) was The Cars. Oh, and 'My Sharona' :slapface:
Sorry I really don't see that as the case at all with London Calling, Give Em Enough Rope with the hirng of Sandy Pearlman to give it a slicker sound perhaps and Combat Rock definately(although both were still very listenable) but London Calling just seems like a natural evolution of their sound.

My favourite track will always be....

Edited by greenman

It really depends what you mean by "selling out", I do think Combat Rock was likely a calculated move to get more mainstream sucess on some level but not one that was made at the cost of quality, getting a bit back to basics probabley helped by that stage.

Yup - 'turning rebellion into money' :bubble:

Don't get me wrong, I love London Calling now, but at the time it felt like they were abandoning punk to milk bigger markets. And that's fine. But my fondest memories are of seeing them perform White Man before it was released, in autumn 77 (in my top 5 live experiences), and then again at Victoria Park in 78.

In the end though theres only so far the original punk sound could go, pretty much everyone who didnt evolve tended to stagnate and become rather cartoonish(the ramones, the damned etc). I view London Calling as much the same shift as Lydon moving towards krautrock/dub with PiL rather than just recycling the Pistols forever.

Never Heard this version of Armagindon Time before, really nice dub mix...

Edited by greenman

BTW Looking at the sucky other thread WTF is wrong with some of you guys ''PUUNK SUCKS I R SO SOPHISTICATED HUHUUH' or ''UH OH THERE BASIST NO LIKE MY SEXY ZEPPLIN UGH THE CLASH SUCK DEY ONLY KNOW A CHORD LOL I FUNNY HAHA'

Mick Jones fucking loved Led Zeppelin He was at there reunion.

So what if Paul didn't like Zeppelin its his loss our gain BTW Do we even have a Direct Quote that he said that shit about the album covers making him throw up?

All we have is that fucking utter tosh HOTG.

Long Live The Cleppelin!

BTW Looking at the sucky other thread WTF is wrong with some of you guys ''PUUNK SUCKS I R SO SOPHISTICATED HUHUUH' or ''UH OH THERE BASIST NO LIKE MY SEXY ZEPPLIN UGH THE CLASH SUCK DEY ONLY KNOW A CHORD LOL I FUNNY HAHA'

Mick Jones fucking loved Led Zeppelin He was at there reunion.

So what if Paul didn't like Zeppelin its his loss our gain BTW Do we even have a Direct Quote that he said that shit about the album covers making him throw up?

All we have is that fucking utter tosh HOTG.

Long Live The Cleppelin!

Here's the quote: 'I don't want to hear Led Zeppelin, just looking at their album covers makes me want to throw up.'

I guess it depends on whether you look at the glass as half empty or as half full because that thread is full of plenty of very favorable comments about The Clash. Funny that you chose to zero in on the negative...

My second favorite band as well, behind Zeppelin.

I don't think the Clash ever sold out, in fact I hate that term because what does it mean? Did they sell out because Combat Rock was commercialized compared to the original Mick Jones mix of Rat Patrol/Fort Bragg? Did they sell out for playing stadiums? Did they sellout for expanding their sound & making it big in America unlike their contemporaries like The Jam who were huge in England but never made a dent in the US? Did they sell out when Sandy Pearlman, Blue Oyster Cult's producer, cleaned up their sound from their first album & singles to the more polished Give "Em Enough Rope? Or did they sell out when they signed to a major label instead of a indie label like Stiff before they recorded one note? All those charges have been thrown at them & it's all nonsense. The Clash always wanted to be a huge band but on their terms, which they did. To make the triple album Sandinista more affordable to fans to be sold at the price of a single album the band members didn't make a dime on the album, giving up royalties on it, until 200,000 plus couples were sold. What major band does that then or now? Outside of Radiohead I can't think of anyone. The Clash were the model.

As far as Paul Simonon, he pretty much only likes reggae... with some, rockabilly, r&b, & some punk thrown in, but that's about it. He only listened to reggae & ska prior to joining the Clash so quite frankly Led Zeppelin were never going to be his thing.