Product Details

• Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: ECW Press (June 1, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1550229494
  • ISBN-13: 978-1550229493
  • Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 6.3 x 1.3 inches

As a side note, another book out there, that you may already know about is:

Sold Out So What! How to Save Money at Concerts & Sporting Events with Tricks the Ticket Brokers and Scalpers Don't Want You to Know

Product Details

Paperback: 96 pages

Publisher: Max Deale, LLC; 1 edition (May 25, 2008)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0615209637

ISBN-13: 978-0615209630

Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.3 x 0.5 inches

-------------------------------

I am old enough to remember the concert ticket buying enviroment before Ticketmaster came to town. There are plusses and minuses to both enviroments....

But...... concert ticket prices have risen too high for the cheapest seats, even with adjuste inflation.

That's the biggest bummer.

I try to avoid Ticketmaster at all costs (pardon the pun). Since I rarely go to bigger shows it's usually not much of a problem but I still probably see 2-3 concerts a year where I have to go through them so it's a bit of a necessary evil. Despite all the other things that's inherently wrong with that organization I'll never understand the need for a convenience fee when you buy your tickets at the venue on the day of the show or even in advance at the box office.

As I've explained before, I stopped paying attention to Ticketmaster's pre-sale and on-sale scams. In LA, the best seats are pulled before the ticket sale by the promoters. These tix are given to the band and their family/friends, record company, sponsors, celebrities and radio stations.

The day of the show, the unused tickets and cancellations get put back in the system and sold at the box office...at face value! No bullshit convenience charges, etc.

I've never failed to get tickets to any show in this fashion...Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard at the Pantages, Rolling Stones at the Wiltern, Radiohead, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Page & Plant...and 99% of the time, seats in the pit or within the first 10 rows.

I know of some folks that insist upon buying through brokers, thinking they're getting the best seats out there while paying through the nose for them (not to mention, lining the pockets of legalized criminals). To each their own but I refuse to buy from those people. Not to mention, I've had no problem scoring decent (and even front row) seats going through legitimate sites, even if it is Ticketmaster. On that tip, there's a real interesting article on fake sites (aka "parasites") in today's News and Observer from their resident musical scribe, David Menconi.

Archived