Roy Buchanan

DAS

Anyone else here a fan? He's one of my favorites but almost no one knows who he is. Check him out if you haven't heard of him. I figure people who enjoy awesome guitar playing and the blues (since you're Jimmy Page fans) would also dig Roy.

I think you might be surprised at the number of people here who DO know about Roy Buchanan and are fans...just as we're fans of Lonnie Mack, Jimmy Reed or Chet Atkins.

Hell, even if you've only a cursory knowledge of Jeff Beck or Robbie Robertson and the Band, Roy Buchanan is a name you'd eventually come across.

Very true, still I'm often shocked at how many people have never even heard his name. If I post on a board like this the fans appear but I've only met one other person who knows his music. I think it's unfortunate. I'm glad there still are a lot of fans out there though. He is really underated.

I believe Roy made Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists list a few years ago, so enough of the right people remember him.

Good call on Danny Gatton...he's another deserving fellow. Two other guys people tend to underestimate, if not downright dismiss because of the HeeHaw association, are Roy Clark and Buck Owens.

You are opening a whole new can of worms on the Rolling Stones 100 Guitarists. I was glad to see him on it but how can you take a list seriously that thought Roy was #57, Page was #9, Beck was #14 and Ted Nugent didn't make the top 100 at all (for political reasons of course but last time I checked Rolling Stone was a music magazine) and at the same time thought Daune Allman was #2 (great player but #2? Really?) and Kurt Cobain was #12! Who in the world really believes that Cobain could out play Roy Buchanan or Jeff Beck? I'm getting off topic though. Sorry, they just make me mad when they say stupid things like that. Drug addict magazine writers aside your point is well taken. Roy has recieved his share of publicity.

Drug addict magazine writers aside your point is well taken.

No one poll is ever going to satisfy everyone, no matter the publication. Also, the poll results weren't arrived at by "drug addict magazine writers", they were voted on by musicians.

From RollingStone.com:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Archived