Did Zeppelin start Classic Rock

McSeven

I was listening to a Ytube interivew of Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins. In it the Inteviewer asked when he thought that Classic Rock started. BC said that it all started with Zeppelin and Cream in the sense that the Riffs were heavier, and it ended in the late 80's.

I tend to agree. The early songs of the Beatles/The Rolling Stones/The Who may not be considered Classic rock, were as Zeppelin early catolog is.

What do you all think? I also belive personally that Classic Rock is the best music on earth side by side with Classic Soul and Jazz. Basically anything from 1967 to 93 is great. If you were an artist that made an impact in those years. You have musical cache for years to come.

nah man, Classic Rock is a stupid label created to divide up music into simple slices, to me this IS music

Its all about evolution, West Coast African music spawned the Early Delta blues in the Amercan South which went on to spawn 20th century folk and of course rock and roll and Rhythm and blues which went on to make british R n' B and shared the stage with Psychedelia which went on to make the psychedelic rock and rhythm and blues out of which came the later beatles, Zep sounds, early floyd,the Hendrix Sound,the doom blues of Black Sabbath,the cream sound (blues/rock/psychedila) so at a push, the period of musc that was 55 to 77 is where you could possibly define the genre so although Zep may be one of the many ambassadors of the genre, i dont believe they started it, what they did influence though was Hard Rock, the New Wave of Britsh Heavy Metal (maiden/preist etc) and the production and ambience of recording albums, but as we know, Glam rock and Disco then influenced the sound of the 80s with big hair, big solos and electronica,samples, respectivly. Then Disco spawend Hip Hop and Dance, and now its 2012 and all we want is a Zep reunion lol! x

Classic rock was created by some corporate executive suit who had the brains enough to figure out that all of this music wasn't ever going to go away. So hey why not profit from it? Like Jahfin said, it's a radio format. The earliest classic rock radio station that I can recall up in these parts slowly evolved and by the mid 80's they more or less abandoned playing anything new at that time. WPYX 106.5 went from the corporate play list to corporate classic rock list. As time went on, they just added older bands to their format. Today if you didn't know any better, Zeppelin, The Who, the Stones, etc. etc. recorded six songs each....and they get played endlessly.

So yeah it's not a musical genre, it's just a playlist.

Led Zeppelin didn't invent classic rock but this one time in 1973 Jimmy rocked so hard he actually went back in time and created the universe. True story.

He created the universe from within the same universe he created, before it was created? I knew Jimmy was a bad ass but damn... B)

Archived