a little F.Y.E story for ya!

I was at my local CD store today and came upon a bunch of kids looking for that "new" band LZ's CD's. :D

Well hopefully that bunch of kids if they were genuinely interested, all bought several CDs apiece, and hopefully the Led Zeppelin and/or TSRTS DVDs as well and experienced that wondrous feeling of enlightenment and discovery in hearing Zeppelin for the 1st time, something I envy them; if they were your typical superficial, no-attention-span-having pack of brats then I'm not hopeful their interest in Zeppelin would last beyond a few days, such youths listen but seem unable to hear . . . I worked at a Borders a few years ago and was surprised and genuinely gladdened on those RARE occasions when someone 13-16 years old unknowlegeable about "Classic" rock would inquire about Zep, Pink Floyd, The Doors, early Who and Stones etc. and encouraged such interest as much as I could, with pop music these days being 95% crap and all, it's important to maintain classic rock's heritage and legacy with kids today in such fashion . . .

I worked at a Borders a few years ago and was surprised and genuinely gladdened on those RARE occasions when someone 13-16 years old unknowlegeable about "Classic" rock would inquire about Zep, Pink Floyd, The Doors, early Who and Stones etc. and encouraged such interest as much as I could, with pop music these days being 95% crap and all, it's important to maintain classic rock's heritage and legacy with kids today in such fashion . . .

You can't blame a lot of these kids because they have grown up with the current hyper-clean pop sound....this is why a band like JET or Wolfmother gets so much attention, not because what they are doing is NEW, just because the kids today have never heard anything like it.

What kids need is good music role models, like fathers and uncles or older brothers to pass down the knowledge that there was once a band called Led Zeppelin and they were the mightiest band to ever play....

I'm the opposite, since getting into Zeppelin about 10 years ago, I have rekindled the Zeppelin flame in my Dad and other people who kind-of-liked-them in the 70s but were never huge fans like I am, and sort of forgot about the band as they got older....

Archived