Bootleg Info Needed

DAS

I came across a record today that had no title. It featured some of the most popular Zeppelin songs including Stairway To Heaven and What Is And What Should Never Be. I think it also featured Heartbreaker. I should have written down what was on it. The one unique feature was a song titles "Minnesota Blues" towards the end. Does this small amount of info give anyone an idea of what it is or to give me any more info on it?

"Minnesota Blues" isn't a Zep song. It's probably a mislabeled version of "Mess o' Blues," an old blues standard that they band often inserted into Whole Lotta Love in 1971, '72, and '73.

Strider might be right that it's the 1971 BBC session - all the songs you list were performed then, and because it was a small-audience, professionally recorded gig, it sounds almost like a regular studio recording.

Right, it was the "Minnesota Blues" that gave it away...the vinyl version of the April 1, '71 BBC concert I have also has the mis-titled "Minnesota Blues" listed on the cover...it's either a TMoQ or Rubber Dubber I think.

A lot of the old vinyl bootleg labels used to mislabel(either on purpose or accidentally) song titles...especially the songs used in the HMMT and WLL medleys.

I remember one vinyl I got...it was either the 9-4-70 Blueberry Hill or 9-14-71 Going to California...and one of the medley songs was titled "My Bonny Lies Over the Airport", or something ridiculous like that.

Right, it was the "Minnesota Blues" that gave it away...the vinyl version of the April 1, '71 BBC concert I have also has the mis-titled "Minnesota Blues" listed on the cover...it's either a TMoQ or Rubber Dubber I think.

A lot of the old vinyl bootleg labels used to mislabel(either on purpose or accidentally) song titles...especially the songs used in the HMMT and WLL medleys.

I remember one vinyl I got...it was either the 9-4-70 Blueberry Hill or 9-14-71 Going to California...and one of the medley songs was titled "My Bonny Lies Over the Airport", or something ridiculous like that.

"My Bonny..." - that's great!

I had one of the old Japanese boots of the 07 24 79 Copenhagen show, and every song was intentionally mislabeled. This is from the CD version I think, but it's the same title list. Pretty amusing:

geikosukui.jpg

"My Bonny..." - that's great!

I had one of the old Japanese boots of the 07 24 79 Copenhagen show, and every song was intentionally mislabeled. This is from the CD version I think, but it's the same title list. Pretty amusing:

geikosukui.jpg

Hahaha...I have this vinyl bootleg, too. Bought it at a record store in Killeen, Texas just outside of Ft. Hood, where I was stationed in 1981. Three-record set that sounds pretty good AND it's a great performance...maybe the best performance of the 1979-80 years.

Hahaha...I have this vinyl bootleg, too. Bought it at a record store in Killeen, Texas just outside of Ft. Hood, where I was stationed in 1981. Three-record set that sounds pretty good AND it's a great performance...maybe the best performance of the 1979-80 years.

Always wondered what exactly is said on that record before the music starts, sounds like some weird advertisement or something like that.

The "I want you Bonnie Airport" title appears on the Going to California bootleg (also a nice recording)

Yeah, I got it at around the same time - just around 1981 or '82. I agree on the performance too - I think it's hard to find a better '79/'80 performance than this, the 2nd night in Copenhagen. In fact, if this performance were available in the same sound quality as the Knebworth songs on the official DVD (or even the soundboards we have from Knebworth), lots more people would be surprised how good Zeppelin could still be in the later years.

"Minnesota Blues" isn't a Zep song. It's probably a mislabeled version of "Mess o' Blues," an old blues standard that they band often inserted into Whole Lotta Love in 1971, '72, and '73.

Strider might be right that it's the 1971 BBC session - all the songs you list were performed then, and because it was a small-audience, professionally recorded gig, it sounds almost like a regular studio recording.

They changed the lyrics to "Minnesota Blues." It's not mislabeled.

Archived