TSRTS

ledhead1979

Hey Guy’s. I’m brand new to the forum, but definitely not to The Zep. I fell in love TSRTS in 1980. The sound track version, not so much the movie. Best song EVER- No Quarter, from the sound track. With just the right level of intoxication, (and the right sound system) it makes me weep every time!

Anyway, now I’ll get to the point. I love band footage. Especially The Zep! 2003 DVD-Awesome! When I read Pages quote, "We have re-visited The Song Remains The Same," says guitarist Jimmy Page, "and can now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square Garden. This differs substantially from the original soundtrack released in 1976, and highlights the technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us on How The West Was Won. When it comes to The Song Remains The Same, the expansion of the DVD and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the Led Zeppelin wish list." I was under the impression that the fantasy sequences would be edited out and we would be seeing what the crowd saw at the Garden in 73’. The sound is much improved, but from what I am reading, most people are happy with the same old Song Remains the Same. Am I alone in screaming, “I want to see the CONCERT, not the same old movie!”???

I was hoping the same thing.I love the original movie,but wouldn't it be great to see the whole concert without the fantasy sequences,ala the Royal Albert Hall show from the 2003 DVD? Why didn't they do that?Could've been amazing.

It's all good.....

But really, any prorperly filmed concert from the 1975 Tour, or the 1977 Tour.... would make the 1973 filmed show a mere footnote.

But that said.... due to fate, or due to Satan, we do not have a properly fimled record of either 1975 or 1977. (Video screen footage does -not- qualify as "properly filmed" folks !!!)..

It's all good.....

But really, any prorperly filmed concert from the 1975 Tour, or the 1977 Tour.... would make the 1973 filmed show a mere footnote.

But that said.... due to fate, or due to Satan, we do not have a properly fimled record of either 1975 or 1977. (Video screen footage does -not- qualify as "properly filmed" folks !!!)..

I don't know about a mere footnote.They seemed to be on top of their game in '73. I saw the Earls Court boot,and they weren't as tight as they were in '73.

That being said,I would LOVE any pro shot concert from our boys!

(a fellow Texan)

This DVD release is very good. The film quality seems to really be cleaned up...

Now in 2007, it would be very easy to fix these but because of legal reasons, they aren't allowed to.

I don't know though, I was watching the new version earlier tonight and the compression on the backgrounds at points was really obvious, particularly on headshots of Jimmy with a black background, he had a halo effect radiating in squared pixels from his head. Having had a look at my 2000 DVD copy these aren't as obvious although that doesn't have 5.1 audio taking up a chunk of the disk space so more room for the picture.

Anybody know what these supposed 'legal reasons' are? I'm quite intrigued by this in these days of a 4th Director's Cut of "Blade Runner" and 're-mastered from various sources' B/W classic cinema on DVD.

I think it's good - really good.

TSRTS is and allways will be my very fav, and it's because of the fantasy sequences as well as the music.

What you are getting is a led zepp experience, not just a concert, but an experience that you can't get from an ordinary concert..

That's what makes it stand out - the family scenes/fantasy clips were unique.

The first time I saw the movie on VHS I hated it. I had read about the re-staging of the concert for the purpose of filling in missing sections (how do you film a rock concert and 'miss' sections!?) and was watching for the 'fake' bits. The fantasy sequences were a bit bizarre to me, (except Bonzo's - Not really fantasy at all) but over the years I've came to love it as what it is - A Led Zeppelin Experience. I still get a chuckle out of Bonzo's 'It's On Fire (staged)/No It's Not (MSG)/ Yes It Is (staged)" flaming gong edit at the end though!

It's all good.....

Why not? I've recently obtained/downloaded various O2 cell phone clips AND a DVD of Earl's Court 24/05/75. While I would agree that the cellphone stuff is not properly filmed, the Earl's is as good as it's going to get and is way more 'properly' shot than even the best hand-held personal camera.

As far as the new version goes - Buy it! I can't speak on the 5.1 option but it sounds damn fine in 2.0! I could have lived without the bonus disc, they could have squeezed Celebration Day and OTHAFA onto the 1st disc as bonus tracks in 2.0 and that would have done it for me, I've got "DVD" thanks and the other TV footage has been watched once and probably never will be again.

The CD sounds superb as well and kinda 'new' if you're used to the original version as the difference in track order screws you up when you're expecting "TSRTS" to follow "Celebration Day" and it doesn't. I hate the sleeve though, the CD 'pockets' are too tight and you really have to grab the discs to get them out and as we know CDs aren't as indestructible as their inventors liked to claim back in the day.

After having this new remastered version on both CD & DVD since it came out, and putting the awful editing to one side, I've come to the conclusion that The DVD leaves me as cold as it originally did and I'll probably hardly ever watch again if at all. But I am enjoying the remastered CD's much more than I ever did the original Vinyl release, the sound on it is vastly improved though that said it's definitely not one of the best performances at all.

Graham

Archived