Jon Lord (Deep Purple) died today.

reswati

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The concert to celebrate late Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord's life and music will be held on April 4, 2014 at London, England's Royal Albert Hall.

Artists confirmed so far include Deep Purple members Ian Paice, Roger Glover, Don Airey and Steve Morse.

Iron Maiden frontman and longtime The Sunflower Jam supporter Bruce Dickinson will also perform, along with Rick Wakeman, Joe Brown and Alfie Boe.

The evening will also be compered by the great Bob Harris.

Jon Lord died on July 16, 2012 at age 71 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Lord, who was known for his keyboard virtuosity and his reinvention of the Hammond B-3 organ sound, co-wrote such Purple classics as "Smoke On The Water" and "Child In Time', among others. Lord and drummer Ian Paice were the only original members to last through the band's initial run from 1968 to 1976. He was on board for their 1984 reunion and stayed on through to his 2002 retirement from the band, after which he's worked primarily in the classical field.

Over the course of his career, Lord also worked with the Artwoods, Flower Pot Men, Paice, Ashton And Lord, Whitesnake and good friend and neighbor, George Harrison.

In a recent interview with Peter Makowski, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich stated about Jon Lord: "I'm not sure that the people in today's hard rock world really truly understood how innovative this guy was. He wasn't just another keyboard player on the side of the stage. In '66/'67, when Hendrix, Townshend and Ritchie Blackmore were taking the electric guitar to a new level, by using banks of Marshall stacks beefing up the sound, Jon Lord was one of the first guys in hard rock to take the keyboards through the same process. He took a fairly standard instrument like a Hammond organ put it through amplifiers and Leslie cabinets and introduced a whole new way of forcing the sound out of the keyboards.

"Ritchie Blackmore said the other day that Jon formed Deep Purple; he was certainly the instigator that made things happen. If not the musical leader, Jon was the spiritual leader of the band. He was a pioneer, and I think that somehow that's gotten a little lost in the last few [months]. People are talking about, obviously, what a gentleman he was and what a fantastic band member but he really did something nobody had done before with the sound of the keyboards and I think that's probably the biggest thing to remember him for."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=191562

very sad news. he was a very talented man, and those that knew him personally all say he was a lovely man.

i saw deep purple when they toured australia in ( i think it was 1999 ) sydney. i got a couple of autographs too. i love that band, always have, always will.

Yes we heard about this loss, Great band. Wish i could have seen Deep Purple.

• 4 weeks later...

Rufus Stone Limited Editions has announced a new, lavishly produced photobook on the life and career of the late Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord. Currently in production, the book will feature exclusive, never-before-seen, personal family photographs, contributions from Jon's colleagues, friends and family, unpublished proffesional images and new, previously unreleased music and a live DVD.

Says the company: "At Rufus Stone, we always wanted to produce a large format, mostly photographic book of Jon Lord's incredible and respected career in the music industry. Jon's illness put this plan on hold but though he is no longer with us to contribute in person, it has been decided by [Jon's wife] Vicky Lord to produce a book, with the family, friends and musicians who worked with him throughout his life all contributing personal material and memories. The book is designed to be a massive photographic celebration of Jon's life and work and will contain much rare and personal material from his early days (before he became a proffesional musician), through the Artwoods, and, of course, Deep Purple and beyond. His time in Pal and Whitesnake are also covered, and naturally his many orchestral projects. Recently discovered images taken by Jon himself during his touring days in Deep Purple will also be included."

"As well as the book, previously unreleased music from Jon is also being included, and one track in particular called "All Those Years Ago" has inspired the title of the project. More never-before-released music, visuals and artifacts will be added to make this a true celebration of Jon Lord's life."

"Although some of the material sourced for the book will be from proffesional photographers, it is appreciated that fans may wish to contribute memorabilia or images taken over the years at concerts and we will be happy to look at any material."

"People interested in the book and the project can keep up to date with email newsletters by subscribing at http://www.jonlordphotobook.com/ , and recieve pre-publication information."

"Details of the final format for the book will be announced before long. It is currently hoped to launch the title at the end of this year."

"Plans to have a blue heritage plaque unveiled on Jon's family home in Leicester are well advanced."

"In April 2014 a special memorial conert is being held at The Royal Albert Hall in London as a further celebration of Jon's music and life."

Rufus Stone Limited Editions published the much-admired "Deep Purple California Jam" title in January 2012, a project Jon was able to assist with and was enthused by.

lordrufus1_zps7a15108d.jpg

lordrufus2_zpseac49375.jpg

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=192550

• 1 month later...

Ritchie Blackmore

-I wrote it on the spur of the moment. I had a very melancholy kind of tune. Then I started thinking about Jon. I thought maybe we should do an organ part at the end, as a tip of the hat to Jon. Pat Regan is an accomplished organist. We put the organ sound on, and off he went. I guided him on a few things, like riffs and how Jon played syncopation with his right hand.

• 5 months later...

JON LORD: 'All Those Years Ago' Photobook Details Revealed

Jon Lord, the celebrated keyboard player of rock bands Deep Purple and Whitesnake and a celebrated composer, is the focus of a new photographic biography that will commemorate his life and successful career. The limited-edition book, released for pre-sale today, is published by Rufus Stone who specialize in creating photographic books of major musical artists.

The exclusive book has been produced in conjunction with Jon Lord's family and will be personally signed by friend and fellow keyboard player Rick Wakeman. Featuring unpublished professional images, personal family photographs and contributions from Jon's family and colleagues, the book is highly anticipated by lifelong fans. The book will be accompanied by unreleased music by the late musician and a never-before seen live DVD of Jon performing his famous Concerto.

One of the unreleased tracks, named "All Those Years Ago", has inspired the title of the Jon Lord project and is included in the package as a 10-inch vinyl single.

The photographic book is due to be released in April, to coincide with a special memorial concert being held at the Royal Albert Hall in celebration of Lord's life and musical accomplishments. However, serious fans of Jon Lord can pre-order the limited-edition book as the pre-sale has just recently been launched by Rufus Stone.

Mark Smith of Rufus Stone says: "This photographic book is the ultimate piece of memorabilia for devoted Jon Lord fans.

"The celebration of his life and work contains rate material from his early days before he was a professional, then continuing through his time with Deep Purple, Pal, Whitesnake and beyond.

"Signed by Rick Wakeman, 'All Those Years Ago' will be a treasured possession for anyone interested in Jon Lord and his musical talent.

"We had the honor of working with Jon himself back in 2012 before his death, when Rufus Stone were working on the Deep Purple 'California Jam' title.

"We are thrilled to have this opportunity to celebrate Jon's life, and to be working closely with his family and colleagues once again."

As one of the most respected and revered names in both the rock and classical musical fields, Jon Lord made an impact on people worldwide. A night in his memory, "Celebrating Jon Lord" will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on April 4. The major concert will give fans the opportunity to relive Lord's extensive musical career, and will feature special guest, including Paul Weller, Rick Wakeman, Alfie Boe and Deep Purple.

Rufus Stone's photographic biography will be released simultaneously with the memorial celebration concert and will delight fans with its spectrum of unreleased material.

Tarquin Gotch, Jon Lord's manager, said: "'All Those Years Ago' is a work of love, and will act as a true collectible for fans of Jon Lord and Deep Purple."

To find out more about Rufus Stone or "All Those Years Ago", visit www.rufuspublications.com .

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jon-lord-all-those-years-ago-photobook-details-revealed/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived