RIP Sherman Hemsley

TypeO

Who knew he was a prog rock fan? I certainly didn't.

Weezy, Get Me Some LSD: 'George Jefferson' Is A Big Prog Rock Fan

Link appears to be broken.

Here's a post from Note From The Edge, a Yes Facebook Page, regarding Hemsley:

RIP Sherman Hemsley. His character George Jefferson (on "The Jeffersons") probably had little in common musically with that of the actor: Sherman was a huge Yes fan, and I remember a profile on him in TV Guide from the mid-1970s where he was photographed sitting in the lotus position, and the article mentioned how his music of choice was prog rock, including Yes.

I spoke to Sherman on a few occasions when I was running YesWorld, as he somehow got my phone number and asked me to put him in touch with Jon. The following is what I posted to NFTE #213, from February 12, 1999, following one of our conversations (don't know what became of "Festival of Dreams"). High Vibration go on, Sherman, and our hearts go out to his family and friends.

- He gets it all the time. George Jefferson of the '70s TV series "The Jeffersons"...a Yes fan?!? While it's highly unlikely that television character George would be rocking to CTTE, for actor Sherman Hemsley it's something he's enjoyed doing since the album was released in 1972. Before discovering the band Sherman was a keyboardist with a background in jazz, grooving to the likes of Mandrill (whose tune "Universal Rhythms" was an inspiration) and Horace Silver (with his album UNITED STATES of MIND), music that proved influential in introducing him to spirituality and meditation. He soon latched on to progressive rock (he was into Emerson Lake and Palmer prior to Yes: TARKUS is his favorite ELP album), and though his introduction to Yes with FRAGILE was unexceptional due to an abysmal sound system he immediately embraced CTTE. He has been a major fan ever since. (Some Yes vets may recall seeing a TV Guide article on Sherman during "The Jeffersons" heyday; a photo depicted Sherman in a lotus position, and the text described how he embraced spirituality and listened to such "far out sounds" as Nektar...and Yes' TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS.)

While Sherman continues to act (he'll soon be making an appearance on the ABC series "The Hughleys") he is exploring his own musical side: he is in the process of composing a musical titled "Festival of Dreams" with lyrics written by Yes' own Jon Anderson.

Damn, I wonder if he was at any of the Yes or ELP concerts I saw from 1972-on? What a trip that would have been to bump into George Jefferson at a Yes/Black Sabbath concert!

RIP Sherman Hemsley. Enjoy your new "DELUXE apartment in the sky"!