Steve Vai's 13 Favourite Albums Revealed: Led Zeppelin II at the top of the list.

RTHB

Steve Vai best albums chooses his ground and first located on Led Zeppelin II in a list where we can find Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Deep Purple ...

"....... ‘Heartbreaker’ coming out of her room and the world stopped. I was stunned because it struck such a nerve and had so much energy. Then when the solo came on I discovered another dimension of music. I was probably ten or eleven...........

http://www.rockthebestmusic.com/2012/08/los-mejores-discos-de-la-historia-steve.html

I've heard and read the opinion about Page being sloppy for decades. I assume they're talking about the bootlegs, but then wonder how many of his distractors would have listened to those? As far as studio albums, the only boo-boo I've noticed him make is smack in the middle of "Heartbreaker".

"This was what my sister was listening to in her room and when I heard it there was a defining moment. We all have these pivotal moments where there’s a sense of clarity where we can recall what we were seeing at the time, we can remember what things smelled like and their color and I remember walking through the hallway of our house and hearing ‘Heartbreaker’ coming out of her room and the world stopped. I was stunned because it struck such a nerve and had so much energy. Then when the solo came on I discovered another dimension of music. I was probably ten or eleven. I hadn’t picked up a guitar by this point but that’s when I knew I had to play. I had seen guitars since I was in kindergarten and was obsessed by finding photos of guitars but after hearing Led Zeppelin II I crossed the line between just liking guitars and wishing I could play one, to saying, ‘Ok, I’m going to play…’"

--

That's pretty awesome.. I remember seeing a picture of Jimmy and Steve Vai talking backstage at the Donnington Festival.

Page was sitting in with Aerosmith and Vai was in Whitesnake.. You could tell by the picture they got along well.. I would imagine Steve told Jimmy how much impact he had on his love of guitar..

Interesting that Eddie Van Halen also references Heartbreaker as a turning point for him. He mentioned watching Page play the one handed section of the solo inspired him to develop his whole tapping technique..

I agree it's great to see Vai mention West Side Story as well... great great album...

my mother used to play it all the time and I think that it really turned me on to the drums.

Steve Vai has always cited Led Zeppelin as being a huge influence on him. That being said, I had no idea that II was his favorite album of all time. I'm actually going to see Vai in a couple of months, very excited for that!

I've heard and read the opinion about Page being sloppy for decades. I assume they're talking about the bootlegs, but then wonder how many of his distractors would have listened to those? As far as studio albums, the only boo-boo I've noticed him make is smack in the middle of "Heartbreaker".

There is a big difference between sloppy and making a mistake during improvisation. From 68 - 73 Page was pretty accurate live though did make a few flubbs during improv moments, much like Steve Howe did live while in Yes (Listen to Yessongs and you will see the similarities). In 75 is when his playing began to suffer more than the occasional "flubb" and I think this was more due to alcohol than other "substances" since I don't think he was big into H until late 75 or 76. Though by the end of the 75 tour and especially Earls Court he was 100% back in form. Once the combination of H and booze set in by 77 he was a mess...brilliant song followed by trainwreck song, very inconsistent.

I always admired the way Page placed emphasis on creativity and improv over technique and perfection. I just prefer the warmth and emotion over perfection. Some like Chopin, some like Paganini, I prefer the emotion of Chopin any day to the rote acrobatic runs and perfection of Paganini any day. Vai is a great guitarist though and I give him much respect.

There is a big difference between sloppy and making a mistake during improvisation. From 68 - 73 Page was pretty accurate live though did make a few flubbs during improv moments, much like Steve Howe did live while in Yes (Listen to Yessongs and you will see the similarities). In 75 is when his playing began to suffer more than the occasional "flubb" and I think this was more due to alcohol than other "substances" since I don't think he was big into H until late 75 or 76. Though by the end of the 75 tour and especially Earls Court he was 100% back in form. Once the combination of H and booze set in by 77 he was a mess...brilliant song followed by trainwreck song, very inconsistent.

I always admired the way Page placed emphasis on creativity and improv over technique and perfection. I just prefer the warmth and emotion over perfection. Some like Chopin, some like Paganini, I prefer the emotion of Chopin any day to the rote acrobatic runs and perfection of Paganini any day. Vai is a great guitarist though and I give him much respect.

I thought I was being complimentary, noting that the guitarist for the most universally known band in the world made but one glitch within their entire body of studio work? I don't follow most trivia or intense conversation about my favorite group - that was covered when we hung out in treehouses stoning out. Is my perception of "Heartbreaker" containing Page's one misplaced note accurate, or way off?

funny to see him place that beefheart album above zappa.......seeing as he was franks "stunt" guitarist on a tour or two

personally i wouldn't rate any thing by beefheart above any zappa.......but trout mask replica was his opus....if ever there was such a thing

hot rats will do me just fine

So I didn't know who Skrillex was so I looked them up on youtube. If you don't mind my being rather blunt, WTF DID I JUST HEAR?! :blink:

It's called "Dubstep". Or, in some cases, the "future of music". I see it as a sign that I am officially old.

Who's to say it wasn't deliberate?

I've listened to that song not to mention the album maybe 20000 times since it was released in 1969 and the solo has always and still sounds like it was meant to be.

A player with feel and emotion will always outdo technical robots any day. Speed does not necessarily mean good playing. With any instrument or piece of music it's that what is not played that makes the difference. That is why Vai as good as he is will never ever match Page for creativity in composition, production and playing.

THAT is what the dubstep thing is that I keep hearing about? Wow! :o

Evidently so. When I first heard of it, I thought it had something to do with Reggae because of the "dub" part. I haven't heard a whole lot of Dubstep but what I have heard can best be described as what a CD sounds like when it skips. Like I said, I guess that makes me officially old.

Evidently so. When I first heard of it, I thought it had something to do with Reggae because of the "dub" part. I haven't heard a whole lot of Dubstep but what I have heard can best be described as what a CD sounds like when it skips. Like I said, I guess that makes me officially old.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. It reminded me of a techno CD skipping.

Archived