Best of '72 tour of America?

chef free

Any of you live Zep experts have opinions about which of these shows are the best? I'm much more interested in hot shows over great recordings.

Montreal, Quebec, CAN 06/07/72

Charlotte, NC 06/09/72

Uniondale, NY 06/14/72

--- You're here, baby

Uniondale, NY 06/15/72

Portland, OR 06/17/72

Seattle, WA 06/18/72

Seattle, WA 06/19/72

San Bernardino, CA 06/22/72

Long Beach, CA 06/27/72

Tucson, AZ 06/28/72

-

• 2 weeks later...

Loved Montreal - am a bit biased as my cassette tape recording was one of two sources used for the boot.

Montreal audiences was very enthusiastic - the entire arena was illuminated by lighter and match flames for STH.

Osaka Oct 9 hot show as well with inclusion of Stand by Me.

• 2 months later...

6/14 and 6/19 all the way. LA and Long Beach were too choreographed and predictable, imo. Like Zeppelin doing Zeppelin, right down to the repeat cover of Blueberry Hill. The band was deliberately intending to make that live record when they played those two shows, and I think it hurt the spontaneity. Not to mention Plant singing in that forced "high" way that he didn't do at other performances on the tour.

Whereas, New York 6/14 and Seattle 6/19 are the best of both worlds. Stunning powerful performance on 6/14, and the train-gone-off-the-rails approach to 6/19.

6/14 and 6/19 all the way. LA and Long Beach were too choreographed and predictable, imo. Like Zeppelin doing Zeppelin, right down to the repeat cover of Blueberry Hill. The band was deliberately intending to make that live record when they played those two shows, and I think it hurt the spontaneity. Not to mention Plant singing in that forced "high" way that he didn't do at other performances on the tour.

Whereas, New York 6/14 and Seattle 6/19 are the best of both worlds. Stunning powerful performance on 6/14, and the train-gone-off-the-rails approach to 6/19.

Since the 1972 shows were my first Zeppelin concerts, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment and characterization of the Forum and Long Beach Arena shows as "predictable". They seemed plenty wild and off-the-rails to this 10-year-old boy's mind. They made me dizzy as a matter of fact...I literally had no idea what they were doing or where they were going half the time.

All I remember was this feeling that the band was making it up as they went along; that they were creating and making new music at that moment on that stage...and only us 18,000 Zepheads inside the Forum that night would hear this music.

This was before I had gotten any bootlegs.

If LA was so predictable, how come we got more Houses of the Holy premieres than any other city, save Seattle? How come we got "Louie Louie/Everyday People"? How come we got one of the best "Dazed and Confused" and "Whole Lotta Love" medleys of the tour?

I've heard the New York shows and while very good, they don't surpass L.A. The only 1972 US shows that give LA a run for their money and surpass them in spots, are Seattle and Tucson.

In my opinion, natch.

Archived