Jimmy never met Jimi or saw him perform

ZEPFAN17

In a recent interview in the dreaded Rolling Stones magazine interview with Jimmy Page he said he never met or saw Jimi Hendrix perform.Jimmy said he was busy doing studio dates and touring with the Yardbirds. Jeff Beck told him how amazing JimI was. Jimmy said he did see him in a club called Salvation in New York,He was across the room. He was about to go over and say sorry for missing Jimi's London Concert but Jimi was leaving and that was that. I can not believe two of the best guitarists of the era and to date never met.

jimmy-page-3.jpgvectornet-mel-marcelo-03-jimi-hendrix.jpg

Edited by ZEPFAN17

In a recent interview in the dreaded Rolling Stones magazine interview with Jimmy Page he said he never met or saw Jimi Hendrix perform.Jimmy said he was busy doing studio dates and touring with the Yardbirds. Jeff Beck told him how amazing JimI was. Jimmy said he did see him in a club called Salvation in New York,He was across the room. He was about to go over and say sorry for missing Jimi's London Concert but Jimi was leaving and that was that. I can not believe two of the best guitarists of the era and to date never met.

Jimmy's comments in the recent issue of Rolling Stone further substantiate something he said years ago:

Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know.

Jimmy Page

--------------------

I'm fairly certain the encounter above occured in October 1969 while Led Zeppelin was staying in New York for several nights.

Salvation was located in Greenwich Village, as was Jimi's apartment, and he only played twice with Gypsy Sun and Rainbows following their Woodstock Festival in August. One of those gigs was at Salvation. Apparently, he was there quite a bit during this time.

Hypothesis:

On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. On the night in question, a stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since his last public performance three months prior (at Woodstock). His band was breaking up and he's now under new management. For these reasons, among others, he's not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

In the late 80s there was a radio interview with robert plant where he says, hendrix said to bonham,"you've got a foot like a rabbit" as stated on post above...or it might have been hendrix saying to plant, your drummer has a foot like a rabbit. At the time i think it was westwood one radio network, a national radio show, or maybe it was a local station.