The Mars Volta calls it quits...

Wolfman

one of my sons turned me on to them. I enjoyed their music, but very very very strange. Some songs were a little too long for me, but I still enjoyed some of it. I have a few of their CDs: Frances the Mute, Amputechture (I'm sure I spelled this wrong), and De-loused at the Cormatorium

I really enjoyed their early stuff, especially the Tremulant EP and DITC. I didn't think they diversified enough on later releases, somehow there was less magic and it got kind of 'samey' to me. So I personally don't think this is necessarily too bad a decision, but I agree they were an incredible live band - the best live band I've seen actually, and I saw them live twice. I saw them with SoaD and felt TMV were infinitely better live than SoaD. TMV (like Led Zeppelin) had a very spontaneous, unpredictable and organic vibe live. SoaD on the other hand cranked out a bunch of music that sounded exactly the same way as it would in the studio - not really my thing.

#1 fan has no clue. They were amazing live. No other band goes through so many tangents in one song. I saw them several times and always left blown away.

You have no clue, maybe mediocre bands blow you away, well they dont me. But I am a musician so It take a little more to blow me away. Like I said I hate the singer and all the effects he uses, gives mr a instant headache, ever had a song that does that to you?

If you like a tangent band Mr bungle is far far better in every way.

You have no clue, maybe mediocre bands blow you away, well they dont me. But I am a musician so It take a little more to blow me away. Like I said I hate the singer and all the effects he uses, gives mr a instant headache, ever had a song that does that to you?

If you like a tangent band Mr bungle is far far better in every way.

I like their music, but even if I didn't their musicianship would blow me away. Can't think of many bands with as much ability as them. They're definitely not for everybody, but to call them a mediocre band pretty much strips you of any credibility.

I like their music, but even if I didn't their musicianship would blow me away. Can't think of many bands with as much ability as them. They're definitely not for everybody, but to call them a mediocre band pretty much strips you of any credibility.

You cant think of many bands with as much abilty as them, lmao I can name a lot. to each there own i dont insult you because you like them, but you do me. I am sure I know more about music than you so to a non musician it may blow you away but the shit isnt that hard to play, infact omar says he dont even like guitar and says hes now very good him self. So at least he agrees with me lmao

here is one band with immensely more talent.

and another one

ps: what you here is one of the best singers in the world hands down.

another great band with talent

You cant think of many bands with as much abilty as them, lmao I can name a lot. to each there own i dont insult you because you like them, but you do me. I am sure I know more about music than you so to a non musician it may blow you away but the shit isnt that hard to play, infact omar says he dont even like guitar and says hes now very good him self. So at least he agrees with me lmao

here is one band with immensely more talent.

and another one

ps: what you here is one of the best singers in the world hands down.

another great band with talent

I actually am a musician and I agree it can give you a better understanding of the ability involved.

Mike Patton's never done anything for me. When he actually sings he's got great range, but he makes too many monkey noises in the name of artistic statements for my taste.

Mastodon is a great band, but I don't think the musicianship in the band is any better then TMV. I think Mastodon would disagree with your assessment, since they've had TMV's singer perform on an album.

I don't think quoting Omar is the best way to look for compliments on his playing. Not many people are gonna say "yes, I'm the best at what I do". It's called modesty. Besides that there is more to music than the playing and he's playing, arranging and orchestrating some of the most complex and challenging music in modern music. The fact that John Frusciante has given his time on several occasions to help a fellow artist see his vision through says alot to me about what other musicians probably think of ORL.

Wasn't insulting you. If you can't admit that TMV have an incredible amount of musical ability you either have trouble saying good things about something you don't like or you have pretty questionable perception of what musical ability is. Either way, your credibilty takes a hit in my book

I think calling them a "tangent band" speaks volumes about how little you've actually listened to them. From my listening to them, it seems to me that they're going for something more inspired by stuff like Hendrix and Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I don't think TMV is really going for anything close to what you present in your examples. I don't hear anything that they couldn't pull of musically if that was their bag.

If TMV stuff is so easy, Mr. Musician, go ahead and upload a video of a song that you've written that's as technically accomplished as any one of their tunes.

I never said they were tangent that was in reply to some one who said they were read all the post not just mine. Omar can play decent but not blow my mind good was the point, never said he sucked , so don't put words in my mouth, i said I hate the singer, it ruins it for me. musically some of it I enjoy, and I am sorry mastodon music is harder to play for me at least. And you not getting Patton makes you lose cred with me so there. Funny how you here Hendrix and Mahavishnu Orchestra, and I hear hints of rush and pink floyd, to be honest only listened to one cd of theires, could only make it threw it about 4 times, its just that singer, i cant stand him.

To each thier own

The other poster said he couldnt think of bands with tmv abilty, so I pointed out them bands, as in they have just as good are more abilty, so there you go pal.

All I can say is that I've been to hundreds of shows and I have a pretty diverse taste in music. TMV is one of the best and most original I've seen live. But as stated above, to each their own.

Archived