Reality Shows

redrum

Is there an end to these shows? A few are good, but mostly trash! Been going like this for over ten years now.

Wonder what the first reality show was? I know we had Cops back in the late 80's. Probably a few long before that, but not many I guess.

Back during the 1970s, PBS did a mini-series, "An American Family". It followed an upper middle class family in Southern California over the course of several months. I don't know if this was the first reality TV show but it is the first one I remember.

Back during the 1970s, PBS did a mini-series, "An American Family". It followed an upper middle class family in Southern California over the course of several months. I don't know if this was the first reality TV show but it is the first one I remember.

I think that was the first one.

There was a documentary on TV that talked about the explosion of reality shows. Cops really began the modern trend because there was a strike going on in Hollywood and someone came up with idea to fill a time slot and Fox studios went for it. When Cops became so popular they learned that these types of shows were way cheaper to make (no writers, no stars, no studios/sets).

• 5 months later...

Archived