Let's Spend The Night Together - Groupie Docu

Pagesbow

She really likes penises, huh. When you look at her list of "castees" basically the only stellar name I could see was Jimi Hendrix. She seems to have got all the notoriety from that, and has made a living off it for the last 40 odd years.

Yep, I noticed that. Lots of obscure penises. :lol:

This is just my humble opinion, but I thought this was tasteless when it came out. Where I am from, you don't kiss and tell.

These men have children and grandchildren and ex-wives and this shit does not need to be thrown in people faces. Again just my opinion I thought it was tacky. But who am I but a fan of the music for decades :peace:

It wasn't in this segment, but this was interesting - thanks for sharing. I never knew about her dad leaving, etc. She's a gutsy broad.

I was going to mention that....I think it was on this docu. I loved Belinda when I was a kid - now it's more of a secret love :shifty:

This is just my humble opinion, but I thought this was tasteless when it came out. Where I am from, you don't kiss and tell.

These men have children and grandchildren and ex-wives and this shit does not need to be thrown in people faces. Again just my opinion I thought it was tacky. But who am I but a fan of the music for decades :peace:

No, you're pretty spot. At least, though, they didn't kiss and tell (at the time) like some wannabe WAGS do these days when they sell their story to the highest bidder.

It wasn't in this segment, but this was interesting - thanks for sharing. I never knew about her dad leaving, etc. She's a gutsy broad.

Yeah, I thought I'd just send you the first part in case you hadn't seen it. You might like to read her recent autobiography? I hear it's quite good. I would myself, but some how I want to preserve the image I had of her as a 13 year old :blush: I think you can know too much about people you like or admire.

:bravo:

Deborah J,

My admiration is for those who brought you up so well. I wish there were more like you.

^^Very kind kenog, my beloved Mom takes the credit. She loved Elvis so she understood so much about my passion for music and let me run with it. She shares the same birthday as Robert, just different year of birth of course. She always got a kick out of that. :peace:

I will always stand by opinion of this "documentary". Zero class IMHO :thumbdown:

...Funny how the big female artists of the era (thinking of Debbie Harry, the women in Fleetwood Mac, Heart and ABBA) all seemed to be too busy being married to - or having relations with - people in their bands to get involved with the "male groupie scene" should one have existed.. :lol:

You could add Grace Slick and Linda Ronstadt to that list. They both were romantically involved with at least two of the men in their respective bands. Heck, just about every female artist from that era I can think of was romantically involved with another musician at some point. Janis Joplin dated The Doors' drummer (his name escapes me). Joni Mitchell was with Graham Nash. Joan Baez was with Bob Dylan. Judy Collins was with Stephen Stills. Carly Simon was married to James Taylor. Chrissie Hynde had a child with Ray Davies. And so it goes.

You could add Grace Slick and Linda Ronstadt to that list. They both were romantically involved with at least two of the men in their respective bands. Heck, just about every female artist from that era I can think of was romantically involved with another musician at some point. Janis Joplin dated The Doors' drummer (his name escapes me). Joni Mitchell was with Graham Nash. Joan Baez was with Bob Dylan. Judy Collins was with Stephen Stills. Carly Simon was married to James Taylor. Chrissie Hynde had a child with Ray Davies. And so it goes.

Yeah, happens a lot when you think about it. Without researching it I also believe you could and Patti Smith and the female bass player of Talking Heads to that list, potentially. In the 80's Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth were married, too. Probably many more.

I must be bored because I actually watched the documentary. It was better than I thought. It's worth watching for the bit on Elvis. The depictions of Page and Plant are depressing but perhaps not a surprise. I was intrigued by the concept of the groupie as Muse. Mick Jagger commented that groupies make him "write great songs." I've been pondering the role of the muse, which I have found essential in my own creative efforts. If these women really did function as muses, it's sad that they never profited in any way from their influence. Yet another piece of evidence that if you don't set limits with or make any demands on men, you may end up exploited. Of course, we have no way of knowing what type of interaction some of these women may have had in later years with the stars, that perhaps were not elaborated on in this documentary.

My two cents on groupie (sorry, muse) kissing and telling, for what it's worth:

- Is anyone really interested in (purported) shenanigans that happened some 40 years ago, considering that it was probably Sesame Street compared to what some Hollywood starlets get up to these days?

- I can understand - and by all means - you had your fun, you had a great time back then in the days of Halcyion, but you've moved on, today you're a successful career woman, run your own business, have a rich family life, etc. and now look upon those days with a smile...fer crissakes how desperate and skint do you have to be to write a book about your (presumptive) sexual escapades, or worse, how many times do you squeeze your meninges and think "Hmmmmm, there must be someone else I bedded, let me see if I can get another book out of it, I've got another bill to pay?"

-I watched LSTNT and honestly with the probable exception of Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson I found it pretty embarrassing. I think it still hasn't sunk in that only wives and long-time official girlfriends are the ones who in the end get respected, as happens in all walks of life. I did not read any of the books (nor do I intend to) but I did read the introduction written by Dave Navarro to one of them on Amazon...he says something along the lines of "You know you all want to be her...". Er, NOT!

Archived