Guitar Troubleshooting

Muse

Just a quick question about tuning troubles (I'm new at this) -

So I bought a new Strat a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it, but one of the strings (specifically the G) ain't staying in tune. I've done some research on the internet about this sort of thing and I'm pretty sure it's catching in the nut as I bend or use the tremolo, so I'm wondering what simple things I could try to work out for myself before driving it out to the shop. Like, maybe, use sewing machine oil on it or something.

Any help would be great.

You could buy a file set for dressing nuts, buy a graphite nut. I'm assuming that you know how to wrap your string around the tuning post. Is it a wound "g" string, if so change to a non wound. Sometimes a piece of emery cloth used to de -burr the slot in you nut will do the trick. After you've played it for a while it will naturally get better from normal wear.

A big problem with Stratocasters, I'm afraid: just listen to some of Hendrix's live recordings. You are right that the main cause is the tremolo unit. The advent of the locking nut virtually eliminated the problem, but that's no help to you, is it? One suggestion that doesn't require drastic surgery to the instrument is to apply graphite into the nut slot (lead from a soft pencil). This lubricates the gap, and may help reduce your tuning problem. Good luck.

RB

Archived