2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Tomorrow Derek Jeter makes his last rip to Camden Yards. I am sure the Oriole faithful will give him a respectful sendoff. Sunday night on National TV will be his last at bat. In Baltimore. He will see the O's one more time in Yankee stadium. I was watching the special on the series between the Yankees and Arizona right after 9/11. It was a good show. You could see how much better of shape Derek was in. Time waits for no one. Its good and amazing that Willie Mays is still with us. I always liked Derek Jeter. As much as I hate and detest the Yankees, Jeter and Girardi are exceptions and so too was the late Thurman Munson.

I have tickets for Sunday (as usual...). I am not happy that they changed this game to nighttime. I'd probably try to make a little money from selling them, but my close friend from Tucson is coming this weekend just to see this game. So I guess I'll have to go...

The things we do for our friends :)

Our Orioles are really putting an ass whipping on Boston EBK. Lovin it. Adam Jones hit one 430 feet. Boston's defense is laughable. Last night they looked like Laurel and Hardy out there. Routine pop to left field dropped. 3rd baseman threw a ball at least 20 feet over the head of the 1st baseman. They look like a bunch of lost souls out there. Sweep is two innings away. 8-1 Orioles. Now, slow down Angels. Lose a game already

Why are all these damned Irishmen still at the park? Is the whiskey free?

World Series Championships in the 21st Century:

Boston - 3

Baltimore - 0

:P

Don't worry, Rick, the Angels will lose one or two eventually. But for your Orioles to catch up you need the Angels to go on a three or four game skid, and I don't know if that's in the cards.

I have read and seen much about that Marichal-Roseboro incident. Yes, Vin Scully is still around but thanks to the idiots at Time Warner, 70% of L.A. still doesn't get the Dodger games.

Edited by Strider

World Series Championships in the 21st Century:

Boston - 3

Baltimore - 0

:P

Don't worry, Rick, the Angels will lose one or two eventually. But for your Orioles to catch up you need the Angels to go on a three or four game skid, and I don't know if that's in the cards.

I have read and seen much about that Marichal-Roseboro incident. Yes, Vin Scully is still around but thanks to the idiots at Time Warner, 70% of L.A. still doesn't get the Dodger games.

World series championships since their existence in the early 1900's

Boston 3 I believe with losses in 1975 and 1986

Baltimore has 3 since their birth in the 1950's. So the Red Sox have existed for well over 60 years more than the Orioles. We are 3-3 in Series, and went to 3 st. Something Boston never did. But who cares. Who is better right now? Why do you people always have to run to past events when you are backed into a corner with no answers? Its lame. Your Angels have to play AAA teams the rest of the way but anything can happen. Your starting rotation is not much to fear as pointed out on MLB this morning and they said the Angels are far from a lock to get to the Series. Our lineup is deeper than yours. We have hit far more home runs and our defense is better. Bullpens equal. You are fortunate we are missing Machado and Wieters or it would really be lights out. I like our chances even if we must go out there to win

Things are real nasty in Milwaukee. Stanton was hit in face with pitch and taken to hospital in fifth inning. then the first batter up to finish off the count is hit in hand. Both bench's empty and both managers tossed. Still dicey right now in the 7th and more trouble may loom Marlins are pissed off to say the least

SEVERAL MARLINS TOSSED. MOST IN HISTORY BATTING COACH MOW MANAGING. MORE TROUBLE COULD COME WITH AN INNING AND HALF LEFT. THIS GAME IS JUST NUTS

STANTON, FACIAL LACERATIONS AND X RAYS AND CAT SCAN BEING DONE. AT LOCAL HOSPITAL IN MILWAUKEE. THEY WANT TO GET ON THE PLANE TO PHILLY BUT THEY ARE NOT SURE. ANNOUNCERS EVEN MAD

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Things are real nasty in Milwaukee. Stanton was hit in face with pitch and taken to hospital in fifth inning. then the first batter up to finish off the count is hit in hand. Both bench's empty and both managers tossed. Still dicey right now in the 7th and more trouble may loom Marlins are pissed off to say the least

SEVERAL MARLINS TOSSED. MOST IN HISTORY BATTING COACH MOW MANAGING. MORE TROUBLE COULD COME WITH AN INNING AND HALF LEFT. THIS GAME IS JUST NUTS

STANTON, FACIAL LACERATIONS AND X RAYS AND CAT SCAN BEING DONE. AT LOCAL HOSPITAL IN MILWAUKEE. THEY WANT TO GET ON THE PLANE TO PHILLY BUT THEY ARE NOT SURE. ANNOUNCERS EVEN MAD

Holy Toledo! I've gotta check the MLB channel for the highlights to this. Sounds like quite a brouhaha went down. Just when we were talking about the Marichal-Roseboro fight too.

Rick, if it comes down to Angels-Orioles in the playoffs, I think Baltimore has the edge. The Angels have been better this year for sure than they have in a long time. But I still have doubts about their playoff tenacity...and with the injuries, our lack of depth will come to be a problem.

I've seen the highlights of Marlins/Brewers. It really sucks what happened to Stanton--they are saying he could be gone for the rest of the year. But there's no question to me that later in the game, the Marlins were trying to hit Gomez as payback for their batters getting hit. Right or wrong, that Marlins pitcher should have been tossed....

Holy Toledo! I've gotta check the MLB channel for the highlights to this. Sounds like quite a brouhaha went down. Just when we were talking about the Marichal-Roseboro fight too.

Rick, if it comes down to Angels-Orioles in the playoffs, I think Baltimore has the edge. The Angels have been better this year for sure than they have in a long time. But I still have doubts about their playoff tenacity...and with the injuries, our lack of depth will come to be a problem.

I do not even believe Kershaw can shut down this Orioles offense when all our starters are in. Time will tell. I do see the Orioles and Angels as the last two standing./ KC and Seattle both stink on offense. Detroit has no bullpen at all. Forget it. Its a two team race in the AL. Baltimore and the Angels. I do fear that threesome of Trout, Pujols and Hamilton. But we have Jones, Davis and Cruz. And all of our other supporting players can hit as can Calhoun. It will be a war. 6 games minimum. I watched that special on how much the Giants and Dodgers hate each other. Skully still there after all these years. Amazing. Tonight they start a huge series and I am going to try and stay up to watch. Great matchup tonight

Sorry to jump on your post Paul. Yes that game could have been even nastier. I am glad I have the baseball package. I got to see it. Crazy

Edited by LedZeppfan77

In a tough spot for a decision. I have a 6 game streak going on ESPN's the Streak for Cash contest. So lots of time left in the month. must get to 25 to win that big money. Pretty tough. Today I have picked Toronto with Happ to beat Tampa. Tampa should be not only deflated after last nights stupid loss, but they have quit in my eyes. I have seen their last two games and Langoria is going to the plate and just swinging the bat like he just wants it over with. They are not playing like they were when they were hot and still believed. But part of me says I should just take my Orioles. But realistically I figure we probably wont win all 4 vs the Yankees, but maybe 3? 2 at least. If we are going to lose one I figure maybe the noon game with Gausman up? I like Norris to beat up their rookie tonight big time. So I think the Orioles are almost a cinch in game two. Should I lay off game one? Or do you think they beat McCarthy? No comparison between teams. But coming off a day off we could not only be rusty but every time we win 4 in a row we seem to lose one and then start the streak over. I layed off wisely yesterday even though I would have taken Sale. I like Paxon to beat Oakland tonight and I believe Oakland is finished

I'm hardly one to give betting advice, but considering how the Nats have owned my Mets--Gio Gonzalez tonight might be a lock vs. the Metropolitans....

I do not have to put up money. But what scares me about that game is the Nats own the longest winning streak on the road vs any baseball opponent. They have won 12 in a row in NY vs the Mets. So lady luck is due to run out. I am afraid of the Mets the way they have pitched recently and the Nats have a pretty safe lead. So no opinion on the Orioles or Blue Jays I guess?

^^ No opinion on the Jays or O's that I would think help your decision. I'm looking for the O's to take possibly 3 out of 4 against the Yanks, but in the first game, the Yanks are throwing out a pitcher with a 2.79 ERA, so who knows how that will go....

And it seems like every time we win 4 in a row and then especially with an off day, we are rusty. I am a bit leary of Gausman too as he is the weakest link in our rotation. I love Norris tonight to beat the kid and I love the Jays to pound a Tampa team that has quit

Yeah, I just walked in and turned on MLB Network and saw the news. Can't say I'm shocked--in this day & age, right or wrong, you just have to assume everybody is doing something. How bad this will hurt the O's, only time will tell--I think Davis was batting below .200 anyway, so maybe the Orioles can yet again overcome a loss on their roster....

Edited by paul carruthers

Yeah, I just walked in and turned on MLB Network and saw the news. Can't say I'm shocked--in this day & age, right or wrong, you just have to assume everybody is doing something. How bad this will hurt the O's, only time will tell--I think Davis was batting below .200 anyway, so maybe the Orioles can yet again overcome a loss on their roster....

Well I finally am able to get on this site for some reason I could not. Sure it hurts emotionally the most. It hurts defensively. It does not kill us on offense to be honest as he was striking out 80 percent of the time. So with a rejuvenated De Aza ready to rumble, we are far from done. If it was Cruz, I would say, we are done. But he can come back if we win our first series. And I say we will. The big question and they just addressed this on MLB and the Yankees network will Buck be willing to pencil him into the ALCS? They believe he will be more likely to play only if we get to the Series. But I am not so sure of that. He can practice in Sarasota. I say he plays in the middle of the ALCS. KC, Seattle have no offenense. Pathetic. Toronto is on fire so maybe they could sneak in? But odds against them and Yankees. I still believe, even without Machado and Davis. Machado was a bigger hit

Yankees announcer just said they do not lose 2013 Davis, but a Davis that led league in KO's. He thinks Buck will have them believing

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Just turned it on. I'll let you know if anything interesting comes up

Thanks. I am taking them to win on my ESPN Streak contest. My 6 game streak is first place. Need to get to 25 to win 20,000.. Ha. This sucks but maybe it will straighten his hitting out. I know we are deep enough to win without him. And the Yankees announcers just said we did not lose Chris Davis of 2013. We lost Chris Davis who is striking out and hitting 192. And he says Buck will have us ready

Gary and Jim think we are a better team with Davis, but we are not lost without him. Our pitching has stepped up a lot in the last 2 months and the hitting continues. And the Kelly Johnson pickup (the one you were so puzzled about :) ) is a good thing since he can play many positions.

So they think we're fine. And so do I.

Gary and Jim think we are a better team with Davis, but we are not lost without him. Our pitching has stepped up a lot in the last 2 months and the hitting continues. And the Kelly Johnson pickup (the one you were so puzzled about :) ) is a good thing since he can play many positions.

So they think we're fine. And so do I.

I agree totally. Thanks for the update. The real nightmare begins when the off season comes and we have to depend on that owner to pony up the bucks. In my book we keep Hardy, Cruz and Markakis at all costs. If we lose Davis, so be it. I am very confident we can get to the ALCS. But does Buck pencil him in to the roster ahead of time? Tough call. Davis I mean. They say in the playoffs you must set your roster before each series unless there is an injury.

I hope they come out of their trance in this game soon. No doubt Davis is on their minds. Lets get going. My Streak is on the line. :unsure:

Nothing like free baseball on a doubleheader day...

And, as I type this - we win!!!!!

How sweet it that? I mean, they thought they had us. I had to listen to their network all day. Against all odds we win. And sportsline is saying Davis wont hurt us a bit. I agree. I knew they were making a huge mistake leaving that guy in against Paredes. That kid is bettter than Johnson all day. He can hit