Question: Over The Hills And Far Away (live) lyrics...

Amstel

After Led Zeppelin's 73' tour, at the beginning of Over The Hills And Far Away, Robert Plant never sang these lines - "Many have I loved, and many times been bitten, many times I've gazed along the open road." Instead, he opted to repeat this line twice - "Many times I've lied, and many times I've listened, many times I wondered how much there is to know."

Anyone know the reason?

I thought it was due to his rocky relationship with former wife, Maureen.

After Led Zeppelin's 73' tour, at the beginning of Over The Hills And Far Away, Robert Plant never sang these lines - "Many have I loved, and many times been bitten, many times I've gazed along the open road." Instead, he opted to repeat this line twice - "Many times I've lied, and many times I've listened, many times I wondered how much there is to know."

Anyone know the reason?

That's an interesting question, and theory. I always thought it was a lazy mistake with Robert not remembering the lyrics, but generally speaking, Robert is one of the better artists at recalling lyrics without issue. Hmm.

Edited by The Dark Lord

You sure about that??? Plant botched the lyrics up to Trampled Underfoot many, many times.

Well, I suppose that is just my opinion, but guys like Geddy Lee and Ozzy, who I adore, cannot move more than a foot or two from the lyrics monitor, or they would be lost. Robert never used to use one, but that may have changed.

I've wondered this as well... it always has frustrated me this redundance... and my speculation was like yours that his spouse felt offense to the "many have i loved line" but why not rewrite it... or how about the "squeeze my lemons" or the lyrics in heartbreaker ... or "i wanna make love to ya little girl...25...25...25...hours a day" or the BIG one night after night ... "I wanna whole lotta love"... not just a little ... this always makes me feel my speculation was off

Anyone know the reason?

He was obviously stoned and forgot the words from time to time . If I recall at Earls Court (18/05/75) just before they did "Bron-yr-stomp", Plant asked which rodie had hidden the words to it, as it was a long time since they wrote it. Or I maybe wrong as it has been a long time since I listened to that show and maybe be I've been too stoned to remember ;)

Anyone know the reason?

It's been a question on my mind for decades, and at first, just chalked it up to laziness or drugs/alcohol. But then, I thought like you, that maybe it was something to do with Maureen. In 1977, he was leary about performing "In My Time of Dying" because of his accident in Greece, which is why "Over the Hills..." replaced IMTOD for many of the 1977 shows.