Sensory deprivation tank

chef free

I "floated" for the first time today! I've been wanting to do this since I read Dr. John Lilly's books in the late '70s. I was in a light and sound proof chamber floating in body temperature water which had 1,000 pounds of Epsom salts dissolved in it. The dissolved salts make you float much higher than in plain water. It was like a vacation for my brain, absolutely NOTHING happened for one full hour! It seemed like I forgot about my body. I've felt relaxed and refreshed for the rest of the day!

Have any of you tried an isolation tank? What did you think?

I know these sensory deprivation tanks were very popular at one point and many people were using them. I would try one if given the opportunity.

However, when I see the subject mentioned, I initially always get a creepy feeling because it reminds me of the torture/interrogation scene in one of Tom Clancy's books (the Cardinal of the Kremlin?) where a super-sophisticated sensory deprivation water chamber is used by the KGB to extract information from a perceived enemy of the state. Clancy's description of the chamber and of the victim's ordeal is harrowing and anyone who reads it will never again view sensory deprivation tanks in quite the same way.

Edited by Pagefan55

I know these sensory deprivation tanks were very popular at one point and many people were using them. I would try one if given the opportunity.

However, when I see the subject mentioned, I initially always get a creepy feeling because it reminds me of the torture/interrogation scene in one of Tom Clancy's books (the Cardinal of the Kremlin?) where a super-sophisticated sensory deprivation water chamber is used by the KGB to extract information from a perceived enemy of the state. Clancy's description of the chamber and of the victim's ordeal is harrowing and anyone who reads it will never again view sensory deprivation tanks in quite the same way.

the first thing I thought of was a movie, too.

This one

watch from 0.17 secs to 0.40 secs. They were doing experiments to see what happened to the human brain when deprived of sight, sound, touch, smell and taste .....