Zeppelin-Cream, Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group

I admit I was mystified by the original question. Cream was together for a short time, Eric Clapton quit the Yardbirds because of pressure to create pop hits--the band wasn't allowed to really use their abilities on records, only in live performances. Then the band fell apart. Jeff Beck's sound wasn't commercial (and still isn't). Not to mention nobody in Cream or the Yardbirds could sing like Robert Plant.

This is a great topic and it is rather strange how Gilmour got wrapped up into this. The main point to remember is the singer

doing all he can to complement/ match the song. Here Gilmour shines as he IMO rarely sings lines in vain. Rod Stewart on the

other hand particularly since the late 70's has often lent his voice to dubious lines/verses/songs IMO. Very interesting to see

how Zep would have fared with Terry Reid. Reid had a good range too, and sounded distinctive. But even though Page and Reid

would be powerful, most would probably not think they could have accomplished what Page and Plant did.

And Cream, they were forerunners and hugely influential, but the vocals are nowhere as powerful as Plant. And although Clapton

certainly wrote some cool riffs(Bruce as well) they were not hammer of the gods potency.

I always thought Jack Bruce had a great voice. Nothing like Plants, but definitely powerful. Put that with his bass playing, and he was the Mickey Mantle of music.

More like the Ty Cobb of music.

People are going to doubt this, but I have this compilation video(various groups) with three songs with Marriot singing(don't know what

group) but he actually just about matches Plant in intensity, range, and even stage presence. Actually his stage presence is sort of like

Axl Rose to the tenth power.

People are going to doubt this, but I have this compilation video(various groups) with three songs with Marriot singing(don't know what

group) but he actually just about matches Plant in intensity, range, and even stage presence. Actually his stage presence is sort of like

Axl Rose to the tenth power.

No doubt about Marriot, but as the OP I referred to Plant as the X factor in the context of Zeppelin. I'm not saying Plant alone is better than any others, although he would be right up there. But along with JPJ, Jimmy and Bonzo, Plant as the front man made all of that better.

Archived