Beck's 'Odelay' Expanded For Reissue

Jahfin

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003687188

beck_04l.gif

Beck

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Beck's 1996 classic "Odelay" will be expanded for a Jan. 29 reissue by Geffen/UMe. The new edition of the album, which in original form has sold 2.2 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, includes a second disc with a host of rare extras.

Disc one sports the original "Odelay" plus the previously unreleased outtakes "Gold Chains" and "Inferno," produced by the Dust Brothers. Also featured is "Deadweight," from the "A Life Less Ordinary" soundtrack.

The second disc rounds up 16 import-only B-sides and remixes, including "Burro" ("Jackass" sung in Spanish with a mariachi band), a cover of Skip James' "Devil Got My Woman" recorded at Memphis' Sun Studios and UNKLE's remix of "Where It's At."

Beck has kept a relatively low profile in 2007, most recently surfacing to collaborate with the White Stripes on new music for a series of 7-inch singles, released yesterday (Dec. 18).

So besides Odelay and Mellow Gold...what others are good ?

well.I like Stereopathic Soulmanure (it has a noisy post-punk type sound). As well as Sea Change, an album about the breakup with his longtime girlfriend. Sea Change uses simpler songwriting, as well as being completely sincere.

His last record The Information had some fantastic cuts as well, 1000BPM is one of the best songs he has written.

So besides Odelay and Mellow Gold...what others are good ?

I like Sea Change, which is a mellow, acoustic album of sorts, and Geuro is pretty good too.

The Information and Mutations are OK, I think. It's been ages since I listened to them.

I've heard Sea Change. I thought it was pretty weak. But the first few songs were pretty good... maybe?

I like Sea Change, but it's nothing like Beck's other albums. He's best known for his off-kilter sampling/rap-rock weirdness.

Check out the song 'Where It's At' to really understand what I'm talking about.

Sea Change is definitely not your typical Beck album, but therein lies the genius and to me, the beauty of it. He completely flipped the script and did something so out of the ordinary for him, lyrically and musically, that it worked. You understood the emotions that went into the songs and you felt them at a visceral level.

Archived