Travel destinations and wish lists? Where to?

LedZeppfan77

My wife and I do not agree often on where we are going to travel to.  We sold the family cottage in the Islands (1000 Islands) because of this issue .  But we do agree that California and the West coast will be our next destination.  I want to hit Vegas, then San Diego and LA.  She has friends outside of Phoenix so the possibility of hitting there too is on the table.  Perhaps a flight into Vegas, a drive to Arizona, and then the Coast, SD and LA>?  So where would you want to go and where will you likely go?  I do not have a passport yet.  The Carribean is on our list too.   But so many choices.  Maybe the Virgin Islands?  So here is my list of where I want to go and where I will likely go.  Two very different animals

West Coast  (LA, SD, Vegas)  a certainty

Carribean Islands    ( a cruise maybe)

Queen Mary II, trans Atlantic voyage to Southampton.  A stop in London a must.  (higher on my list than my wife's)

Hawaii   (I think on all people's list but is it worth the cash when you can likely do the same things in the S. Atlantic?)

Sydney  and New Zealand  ( would be fabulous)

Paris  (was once high on my list but no more, too much going on but right now is likely safer than many places due to high security.

South Africa    (Cape Town would be a place I would love to visit but highly unlikely my wife would be on board)

Seattle  ( much to like)

Florida  ( I always wind up there as I have relatives and I love it.  So its certain I will be going back there)

Montana  ( my wife has aunt's there and Salt Lake-no thanks to Utah.  But I would love to see Montana)

So if all goes well, I think Vegas and LA I will be heading to first.  

15 hours ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

My wife and I do not agree often on where we are going to travel to.  We sold the family cottage in the Islands (1000 Islands) because of this issue .  But we do agree that California and the West coast will be our next destination.  I want to hit Vegas, then San Diego and LA.  She has friends outside of Phoenix so the possibility of hitting there too is on the table.  Perhaps a flight into Vegas, a drive to Arizona, and then the Coast, SD and LA>?  So where would you want to go and where will you likely go?  I do not have a passport yet.  The Carribean is on our list too.   But so many choices.  Maybe the Virgin Islands?  So here is my list of where I want to go and where I will likely go.  Two very different animals

West Coast  (LA, SD, Vegas)  a certainty

Carribean Islands    ( a cruise maybe)

Queen Mary II, trans Atlantic voyage to Southampton.  A stop in London a must.  (higher on my list than my wife's)

Hawaii   (I think on all people's list but is it worth the cash when you can likely do the same things in the S. Atlantic?)

Sydney  and New Zealand  ( would be fabulous)

Paris  (was once high on my list but no more, too much going on but right now is likely safer than many places due to high security.

South Africa    (Cape Town would be a place I would love to visit but highly unlikely my wife would be on board)

Seattle  ( much to like)

Florida  ( I always wind up there as I have relatives and I love it.  So its certain I will be going back there)

Montana  ( my wife has aunt's there and Salt Lake-no thanks to Utah.  But I would love to see Montana)

So if all goes well, I think Vegas and LA I will be heading to first.  

I think your wife has good taste. London is an overpriced, desperate shit hole

I've been to London, seen seven wonders, I know to trip is just to fall. - I don't care to see another Starbucks again - meaning, Big cities are all the same. Sydney is (for me anyway) London down under. If you're going to travel I say go DEEP - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Viet Nam, beaches in Asia are beautiful, cheap, and filled with amazing and friendly people. 

L1003922.JPG

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I think your wife has good taste. London is an overpriced, desperate shit hole

London must have radically changed since I was last there. I certainly don't recall any Starbucks. Why would Starbucks be in England anyway? They drink tea over there.

Ooops, the Starbucks was in reference to The Only Way To Fly's post and I'm having difficulties reformatting my post.

31 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

I've been to London, seen seven wonders, I know to trip is just to fall. - I don't care to see another Starbucks again - meaning, Big cities are all the same. Sydney is (for me anyway) London down under. If you're going to travel I say go DEEP - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Viet Nam, beaches in Asia are beautiful, cheap, and filled with amazing and friendly people. 

All well and good but it's also filled with pickpockets, beggars asking non-stop for money (including organized gangs of children working under the thumb of some adults...it's something right out of Charles Dickens "Oliver Twist"), vermin, rubbish and garbage, and varying levels of safe water.

My travel wish list is fairly short...having already knocked off a fair share of countries in my lifetime.

1. New Zealand/Australia 

2. Iceland

3. Antarctica 

4. Various islands/surf spots in the South Pacific

5. Argentina/Chile

Edited by Strider

The most beautiful sight I ever beheld:

The Kathmandu valley in the early morning light, when the mist just rises up from an amazing green landscape (typing this just gives me goosebumps again).

Another magical moment I will never forget was drinking whiskey at the foot of the Everest while listening to Jeff Buckley's Grace album for the first time in my life.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

London must have radically changed since I was last there. I certainly don't recall any Starbucks. Why would Starbucks be in England anyway? They drink tea over there.

Ooops, the Starbucks was in reference to The Only Way To Fly's post and I'm having difficulties reformatting my post.

All well and good but it's also filled with pickpockets, beggars asking non-stop for money (including organized gangs of children working under the thumb of some adults...it's something right out of Charles Dickens "Oliver Twist"), vermin, rubbish and garbage, and varying levels of safe water.

My travel wish list is fairly short...having already knocked off a fair share of countries in my lifetime.

1. New Zealand/Australia 

2. Iceland

3. Antarctica 

5. Argentina/Chile

If you ever go to Antarctica, give me a call.........I might join you!

12 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

L1003922.JPG

I'm right there with you. We spent 3 glorious years on the beaches of southern Thailand back in the late 80's early 90's and in between 2 summers in Australia. My memories are of watching electrical storms out in the gulf of Thailand whilst smoking incredible grass as the fire flies would add to the bliss.

Reswati: I was on the Indian side of the Himalaya in Manali and the Kulu Valley. Jeez what an incredible place. Wondering around the orchards of cherries and apples with the snow capped peaks so high you had neck ache to gaze at them.

Asia is just such a wonderful continent. And don't get me started on the food !!

Strider: Starbucks are as ubiquitous as the golden arches are Mcshite in the UK. I don't drink coffee as I am a leaf man but they are here, believe me man

Here are 3 pics: 1 of the CP's in Manali, 1 of the beach we lived on and off for 3 years and 1 of Varanasi in India

569cc4e61b808_silverymoon0003.thumb.jpg.569cc50d65985_SilveryMoon0001(2).jpg.732569cc5370be20_Varanasi(2).thumb.jpg.53a8

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I'm right there with you. We spent 3 glorious years on the beaches of southern Thailand back in the late 80's early 90's and in between 2 summers in Australia. My memories are of watching electrical storms out in the gulf of Thailand whilst smoking incredible grass as the fire flies would add to the bliss.

Reswati: I was on the Indian side of the Himalaya in Manali and the Kulu Valley. Jeez what an incredible place. Wondering around the orchards of cherries and apples with the snow capped peaks so high you had neck ache to gaze at them.

Asia is just such a wonderful continent. And don't get me started on the food !!

Strider: Starbucks are as ubiquitous as the golden arches are Mcshite in the UK. I don't drink coffee as I am a leaf man but they are here, believe me man

Here are 3 pics: 1 of the CP's in Manali, 1 of the beach we lived on and off for 3 years and 1 of Varanasi in India

569cc4e61b808_silverymoon0003.thumb.jpg.569cc50d65985_SilveryMoon0001(2).jpg.732569cc5370be20_Varanasi(2).thumb.jpg.53a8

GREAT Pictures! I can't wait to get back there!

16 hours ago, Strider said:

1. New Zealand/Australia 

2. Iceland

3. Antarctica 

5. Argentina/Chile

Antarctica might be a stretch Strider but I understand why one would want to see it.  Mostly scientists go there and Penguins.  I will pass.  As for London I am sure they have Starbucks and McDonald's too as there is no escape from that crap hole with the golden arches.  The suggestion above about the Asian trip is good advice as my sister, who i no longer have any contact with, has been to Asia and loved it.   She even married two of them.

With all of the crazy shit going on in the world I do feel better staying on our American shores.  I have a much greater desire to see Europe than my wife.  And I would like to do it by ship.  I believe its actually more expensive to do that than to fly there.  For now I will set my goal on the West coast and take it step by step.  

@chillumpuffer

Varanasi certainly brings back memories....a weird, magickal 3-d eastern labyrinth (with cows that can run like hell once rush hour breaks out).

By the time we reached Varanasi I had a severe case of Delhi belly, I even once shitted in a sink cause all the toilets were occupied at my moment of need. After that some doctor advised me to eat no meat anymore during the trip, and I discovered the magic of the Indian vegetarian cuisine (drool drool)

I will see if I can find some pics we took in Varanasi, have them somewhere in the basement.

Here is one done a few cities onward during the trip.

12194685_852615871524726_4809265165535209509_o.jpg

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

569cc4e61b808_silverymoon0003.thumb.jpg.

Look at ya' damn hippies haha! Bella.