Does anybody feel the same way I do?

Scarlett

^ Two songs for me... In My Time of Dying and Royal Orleans. At first listen, you think he is just bashing away to the beat of the song. Listen closer though, and you find that while he is staying to the beat of the song, he constantly changes the way he goes about it. This is what makes him special compared to other drummers, in my opinion. In My Time of Dying especially would be an incredibly dull song if it weren't for his slinky drum playing on it.

^ Two songs for me... In My Time of Dying and Royal Orleans. At first listen, you think he is just bashing away to the beat of the song. Listen closer though, and you find that while he is staying to the beat of the song, he constantly changes the way he goes about it. This is what makes him special compared to other drummers, in my opinion. In My Time of Dying especially would be an incredibly dull song if it weren't for his slinky drum playing on it.

Two excellent examples of what I've said for years: made whatever was written work.

- So in this debate you´ve called me a non musician,

Are you a musician? Stating a fact isn't an insult. (Which was why I said I wasn't trying to be ego-boy, but I guess your reading comprehension didn't catch that.)

now it´s teeanager.

I'm just assuming you are, since it's the only excuse for your unsolicited invective. For instance: "Name-dropping?" Mentioning quotes from documentaries? Now you're just trying to provoke. Are you that bored?

Leave the arguments in MySpace or whatever you kiddies are into; come here for musical discussion. If you're genuinely interested, listen closely to the high-hat variation on the jazz-like "Bill Purdie shuffle" that's heard nearly all the way through "Fool in the Rain," the brushed snare work and contrast between the verses and loud bridge in "The Rain Song," the songs cited in the posts above, the off-time snare slightly accenting the between-verse riff in "Houses of the Holy," the counterpoint during the instrumental sections of "The Wanton Song," the double snare-hits toward the end of "Over the Hills and Far Away" where there was only one per measure before, the gradually increased snare-drum eighth notes in "Poor Tom," the shifting time signature that allows for the releases in "Four Sticks," the tom-toms taking the place of every other expected snare-hit during the "Hey, baby" section of "Black Dog," the gradually changing beat patterns that give "Hots on for Nowhere" its feel of building and building...I could go on, but if you're sincerely interested in learning how music works, these are great starting points.

Boy, it sure did take a long time getting those meagre answers.

If you think that is subtle playing, I don´t think you make a living playing the drums.

The examples given are very basic drumming.

There is only one number in the LZ catalogue, where Bonham is subtle, but he is also loud.

- A tune where he "lifts the song under."

"Basic"? Wow. Deaf and a mere troublemaker. And now you're calling me a liar -- all stemming from a casual comment about Bonzo's ability to be subtle. You must not value your time very highly; trying to start arguments with musicians out of thin air reeks of some kind of compensation. Get a hobby or a therapist something. I'm done with you, kid; whine all you want. You've had your chance to learn.

A friend of mine, who has just gone to live in France, used to be a drummer with Fleetwood Mac, and he was drumming one day with John, when his drum sticks broke, looking across the room, and noticing immediately what happened, John threw him over a new set, and laughed, afterwards they went for a drink together, and he told me he was the nicest guy you could wish to meet :D .

You're friends with Aynsley Dunbar? Cool! (Fleetwood Mac only ever had Mick on drums, but he'd recently replaced Dunbar in the Bluesbreakers.)

Just know your place when debating music.

I know Chris is doing what you're supposed to do to a troll and ignoring you, and I dont blame him.....but I dont have that self control...lol...his 'place' looks like its superior to yours, youre ignorant. you never post anything useful or interesting.....he does a lot though....hes obviously a musician and youre OBVIOUSLY NOT...Chris could be less haughty (sp?) about it but Bonham DID sneak a lot of things in there and if you were actually listening youd hear them...its very well known that he wasnt just boom bash all the time, or at least I thought....people are laughing at you, you realize that, right?

Don't sweat it, Mz_Led, but thanks....I don't need defending. I disagree with him, but he should be able to say what he thinks without actually being called names. Freedom of speech and all that. If someone bugs you, then you were right the first time; just ignore it and let things slide. It's easy. :)

(Besides, that's not true -- he's posted "useful" things before, if I'm using your word right. Cf. The Song Remains the Same threads.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived