Unledded Type Versions

fwb

I remember the excitement in 1994 to hear that Robert and Jimmy were getting together to do what would become the "Unledded" program and subsequent tour.  I really had no problem them doing it without John Paul Jones.  Even though it was somewhat of a reunion I always respected most that they called it quits in 1980 upon John's death.  That being said, I liked the program the night I saw it, but probably never appreciated the true musicianship for at least  a few years.  Many people I knew just wanted to see them play it like the album etcetc .... 

I did get to see the boys a few times that tour when they were in the NY area.  I particularly liked what the orchestra did for SIBLY.  And, how the hell did that version of the Rain Song not be put in original program?  I was just thumbing around youtube and saw a version of Ten Years Gone done with the orchestra in early 96.  Never knew they did that, it most have been in and out of set quickly.  FANTASTIC!!!! 

My question is, what other songs do you think would have been enhanced or made better by having the orchestra play along? For me, I would love to have seen them do All My Love - it has a one man orchestra on the original recording (JPJ).  But would have sounded great with violins and such. 

It was great to see the boys expand their songs and not just play them the regular back then. 

Any ideas?  It's amazing they came up with playing their stuff like that way back in Bombay in the early 70's.  What a group.

The only thing that bothers me is the poor vocal performance by Plant on the Unledded concert, on tour he was really much better and if I listen to his solo 1993 concerts I feel Unledded concert is almost tragic, as the concert was the most viewed of all Unplugged concerts! Glad they recorded the Corris songs.

The orchestras and other musicians and styles are a natural expansion of everything they always did in Zeppelin, it's really great and maybe they should have added the orchestras to some of the more hard rocking songs where it is almost ridiculous to imagine it or maybe Thank you, but you still had In the Evening and Kashmir!

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The Rain Song was omitted from telecast & CD because of timing constraints. However, it is included on the VHS and DVD releases.

It's also track three on the Gallows Pole CD single part two, the part one Gallows Pole CD single has WIAWSNB as track three as the otherwise only available on CD single tracks from the Unledded sessions.

Archived