Sport Illustrated Article - Recasting Super Bowl Halftime Shows

Balthazor

I don't know if anyone's seen this, but Sports Illustrated has an amusing article recasting every Super Bowl halftime show, and Led Zeppelin gets recast for the 1972 show...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/31/super-bowl-halftime-shows-recast-beatles-led-zeppelin

Super Bowl VI (Jan. 16, 1972)

Tulane Stadium, New Orleans

Real Life: Salute to Louis Armstrong (including Carol Channing and Ella Fitzgerald)

Recast: Led Zeppelin

The release of Led Zeppelin IV in November of ’71 pretty much solidified the band’s status as the premier rock outfit around. Even Carol Channing could see that.

Setlist: Rock and Roll | Stairway to Heaven | Whole Lotta Love | Black Dog | Communication Breakdown

2 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I don't know if anyone's seen this, but Sports Illustrated has an amusing article recasting every Super Bowl halftime show, and Led Zeppelin gets recast for the 1972 show...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/31/super-bowl-halftime-shows-recast-beatles-led-zeppelin

Super Bowl VI (Jan. 16, 1972)

Tulane Stadium, New Orleans

Real Life: Salute to Louis Armstrong (including Carol Channing and Ella Fitzgerald)

Recast: Led Zeppelin

The release of Led Zeppelin IV in November of ’71 pretty much solidified the band’s status as the premier rock outfit around. Even Carol Channing could see that.

Setlist: Rock and Roll | Stairway to Heaven | Whole Lotta Love | Black Dog | Communication Breakdown

Weren't they in Australia around that time in real life? I wonder if Peter Grant would have accepted an actual Super Bowl offer? My guess is he would have said "No, thanks". The band would have been under the thumb of the NFL and Network TV and Peter Grant did not like the band not being in control of their situation.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Of course, they never would have done it, but an excellent choice by the NFL! 

Ummm, you realize the NFL has nothing to do with this fantasy? It is purely conjecture by a writer for Sports Illustrated magazine.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:11 AM, Stryder1978 said:

...I'm just thinking of having a professionally filmed set during their peak in 1972...with THAT setlist!  Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin!

If only they had done an appearance on "Midnight Special" or "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" or "Rockpalast" in 1972.

32 minutes ago, Strider said:

If only they had done an appearance on "Midnight Special" or "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" or "Rockpalast" in 1972.

I'm always jumping on YouTube and watching some of those old performances...Black Oak Arkansas, Uriah Heep...even Black Sabbath was on there!

22 hours ago, Strider said:

Ummm, you realize the NFL has nothing to do with this fantasy? It is purely conjecture by a writer for Sports Illustrated magazine.

I understand it's fantasy, should have said, "would have been an excellent choice by the NFL"

Archived