Consoling Plant.

McSeven

I am on a Zep Facebook group, and its been stated that JPJ and Page did not attend Plant's son Karac's funeral  Does anyone know the reason why.  One poster said that Page was on vacation.  

I find it hard to believe that JPJ and Page would not attend, unless there was some major reason not blocking them.  Even if Page was on Vacation.  He is rich enough to leave where he is from and attend and tun go back.

I just find this hard to swallow.  Anyone care to shed light on this if possible.

11 minutes ago, McSeven said:

I am on a Zep Facebook group, and its been stated that JPJ and Page did not attend Plant's son Karac's funeral  Does anyone know the reason why.  One poster said that Page was on vacation.  

I find it hard to believe that JPJ and Page would not attend, unless there was some major reason not blocking them.  Even if Page was on Vacation.  He is rich enough to leave where he is from and attend and tun go back.

I just find this hard to swallow.  Anyone care to shed light on this if possible.

Sad but true, JPJ & JP did not attend the funeral. Don´t know Jones´ reasons, but Page was indeed on vacation, more precisely on a round trip, from H-ville via Smackland to Brownstone by the sea.

I just can't imagine what the hardship it is to attend the funeral.  I guess we all have to come to a conclusion that just because they have a kick ass band, does not mean that they are super buddies all the time.  I could see if it was a Nephew/niece that passed.  

They were rich at that point.  Its not like it would have been some major trek for Page/JPJ to attend, given that they all lived in the UK.  Unless the funeral was super quick and both of them could not attend on short notice.

From what I have heard, JPJ was on vacation with his family in the California redwoods and completely out of communication until the day before the scheduled NOLA gig. JPJ arrive in NOLA to discover the news of what had happened and by then the funeral had already happened. As far as I am concerned a legitimate excuse, after all it was 1977, not 2018 or even 1996 so no cell phones. 

JP is another issue as I am not sure what his excuse was. I have heard he went on a heroin bender right after the last Oakland gig, staying in SF with a Moroccan belly dancer and did not find out until he crawled out of the abyss July 29th.

If I were in Plant's shoes I could not exactly blame either, Jones for the obvious and Page because he was an addict and Plant knew that.

35 minutes ago, Klape said:

But they did know that Karac passed away after the Oakland gig the 24th right ? I mean you would expect a funeral 4 or 5 days after this date and not go on vacation ?

No, Karac died the night of July 26th, two days after the Oakland gigs. Robert & Bonzo flew directly to NOLA on the 24th, right after the Oakland gig as they wanted to take in the city. JPJ & JP met up in NOLA on the 29th, the day before the scheduled gig on the 30th only to find out what had happened and that both Plant & Bonzo were back in the UK as they flew back the night of the 26th I believe. The funeral was held either on the 29th or 30th if my memory serves.

Not to sound morbid but embalming is not really a big thing outside the US except when necessary. Most funerals in the UK happen two or three days after death as the body is typically not embalmed.

So to cap this all off.  When they were off gigs.  Its not like Zep was calling each other to hang out all the time.  JPJ/Page would travel and do whatever.  Bonzo and Plant were more closer socially and if something happened.  They would know about it right away.  

Some of the stories just make JPJ/Page not going to the funeral, seem cold.  Now in todays world.  No excuse.  With Twitter and all the social contact one has at their disposal, Anyone can contact anyone. 

So due to Plant getting the funeral arrangements together fast and to the point.  The other 2 members of Zep did not have time to react or Plant did not invite them. 

11 hours ago, McSeven said:

I just can't imagine what the hardship it is to attend the funeral.  I guess we all have to come to a conclusion that just because they have a kick ass band, does not mean that they are super buddies all the time.  I could see if it was a Nephew/niece that passed.  

After any death, it's pointless to EXPECT others to grieve or behave the way we think they should, or the way we think we might. Would Robert have appreciated their presence? Probably. Did their absence mean they couldn't have cared less? Of course not. Bear in mind they did put the band on artistic hiatus for nearly 18 months, which was definitely empathetic and supportive. Karac's funeral...who went, who did not...I'll never understand people's fixation on this issue.  

Within the world of Zep.  Its must of been a sorespot, because we the fans know that Page/JPJ were not at the funeral.  Thats why on the Zep Facebook post that I am talking about.  Some of the posters know.  That means in some conversations with Plant.  Plant must have expressed agitation towards Page/JPJ for not coming.  Otherwise a lot of us would not know.

30 minutes ago, McSeven said:

Within the world of Zep.  Its must of been a sorespot, because we the fans know that Page/JPJ were not at the funeral.  Thats why on the Zep Facebook post that I am talking about.  Some of the posters know.  That means in some conversations with Plant.  Plant must have expressed agitation towards Page/JPJ for not coming.  Otherwise a lot of us would not know.

I'd wager that 90% of that conversation/knowledge is fuelled by the book Hammer of the Gods, wherein Richard Cole alleges Robert expressed to him he was hurt by their absence. Then there is the endless speculation that the lyrics of Carouselambra allude to their absence. To all of that, I'm like TT.   

Well not to shoot off, but Jimmy had for awhile before the 77' disasters started to be looked upon by Robert as a man headed

for the abyss. So from my view( Not Robert's), I would hardly want a ghost of a person(Jimmy) attending something as serious

and somber as a funeral. In theory it sounds good if Jimmy had attended, but junkies have only one master.

Archived