Copenhagen 1971 Question

I recently purchased a copy of Luis Rey's book. I've never read it before, but I knew how big of deal it is to many pre-internet fans and wanted it for historical reference. I found a copy for about $14 on eBay (1993 edition) which was good enough for me!

I read the whole thing in just a couple of hours. Having been a hardcore fan only since 2015 myself, the Year of LZ blog has always been a big point of reference for me, and it was fascinating to basically be reading the prototype of that blog.

In the write-up about the Copenhagen 1971 show, he mentions that Gallows Pole is played with the 12-string neck of the EDS. This is the first time I've heard that. 

I listened to Four Sticks and Gallows Pole today. The same guitar was almost certainly used for both songs as there only a few seconds pause between them. It definitely sounds like the 12-string could have been used for these songs, but I can't tell for sure.

Anyone else who is more guitar savvy know?

Edited by William Austin

I really love these live versions of GP and again they mystery ensues as to why the only performed both FS & GP live only a handful of times. The stop-go cadence of GP with the electric gives the song a very different feel and vibe, same with FS. I could understand them dropping these songs from the set list if they could not pull them off live but they could, did, and did so more affectively then they did some show staples they played live for years.

7 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I really love these live versions of GP and again they mystery ensues as to why the only performed both FS & GP live only a handful of times. The stop-go cadence of GP with the electric gives the song a very different feel and vibe, same with FS. I could understand them dropping these songs from the set list if they could not pull them off live but they could, did, and did so more affectively then they did some show staples they played live for years.

"Four Sticks" could only realistically be played before 1972. No way Robert could handle it vocally after that. Similar reason why "Immigrant Song" was dropped.

"Celebration Day" was also played on the EDS 12-string in 1971, which gives it a cool vibe.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

"Four Sticks" could only realistically be played before 1972. No way Robert could handle it vocally after that. Similar reason why "Immigrant Song" was dropped.

"Celebration Day" was also played on the EDS 12-string in 1971, which gives it a cool vibe.

True, but they played both GP & FS during the 94' Unledded show and the 95' tour. I guess pride on Robert's part could have been a factor as you mentioned, he could not faithfully re-create these songs live until the 77' tour and by then they had newer tunes to play. By 94' I think Robert no longer cared if he could hit the notes, as long as the overall song would come over well. Who knows, too bad though as I thought the 95' versions were damn good.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

True, but they played both GP & FS during the 94' Unledded show and the 95' tour. I guess pride on Robert's part could have been a factor as you mentioned, he could not faithfully re-create these songs live until the 77' tour and by then they had newer tunes to play. By 94' I think Robert no longer cared if he could hit the notes, as long as the overall song would come over well. Who knows, too bad though as I thought the 95' versions were damn good.

Yeah, I was just talking about the Led Zeppelin era. Although Plant's voice was significantly healed by 1977, the setlist had moved forward. The songs that sounded best on that 1977 tour were primarily from "Houses of the Holy" and later albums. The acoustic set was the only exception. But no way would I have wanted to hear an acoustic "Four Sticks" in 1977.

Now, with the Egyptian Orchestra behind them in 1995, "Four Sticks" was one of the highlights of the Page & Plant tour. At least we got those performances.